Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you RJ for your comment, "living like a actual thin person with balance and moderation and the sleeve as a tool. (Not an exact quote). I am going thru the process to get VSG and I am wondering if it is more than just the restriction that makes living like thin person possible. Someone else also mentioned the VGS as giving a person time to work out their relationship to food. I am trying to get my head around why this surgery is so successful when other interventions are not. (because as we all know WLS is the only intervention that statistically works.). I am a newbie so if I should start a thread with this question rather than post it here, someone let me know. I'm not entirely clear on the process. I am putting it here since it is in line with your comment about living like a thin person...

Rj -your husband's response cracked me up! I adore pop tarts! I haven't had any since my surgery. I love the ends of the pop tart when it just comes out of the toaster - yum :) just have a little if you want - I wouldn't even blame you :)

Thank you RJ for your comment, "living like a actual thin person with balance and moderation and the sleeve as a tool. (Not an exact quote). I am going thru the process to get VSG and I am wondering if it is more than just the restriction that makes living like thin person possible. Someone else also mentioned the VGS as giving a person time to work out their relationship to food. I am trying to get my head around why this surgery is so successful when other interventions are not. (because as we all know WLS is the only intervention that statistically works.). I am a newbie so if I should start a thread with this question rather than post it here, someone let me know. I'm not entirely clear on the process. I am putting it here since it is in line with your comment about living like a thin person...

It is wonderful that you are already doing the work to change your brain and not just your food thinking. Oh boy is it work but it is so worth it if you can put it all in order and come out the other side successful. So far I am enjoying it but will always try to stay on guard against relaxing for more then a treat or two...:)

Rj -your husband's response cracked me up! I adore pop tarts! I haven't had any since my surgery. I love the ends of the pop tart when it just comes out of the toaster - yum :) just have a little if you want - I wouldn't even blame you :)

Yeah he's a hoot! I posted the picture of the deed...I did enjoy it and it was good. Now days later they sit abandoned in my snack cupboard. Oh yes I have one...It is all nutritionally sound foods....And pop tarts!!!lol

I bought several flavors of pop tarts recently (I had a coupon) and when I was unpacking the groceries, I realized I haven't eaten one in over a year. Instead of trying one (I looked at the carbs and decided not to have one) I packed them up and mailed them to my daughter in Korea (she has 5 kids)

I do treat myself once in a while with a goodie but find that I pay for it with dumping. Just yesterday I had a sample size (2 oz) of ice cream (double chocolate fudge) and dumped the rest of the evening. I hate the racing heart, hot flashes and nausea. I am obviously still learning what I can treat myself with and what I should skip all together.

I bought several flavors of pop tarts recently (I had a coupon) and when I was unpacking the groceries, I realized I haven't eaten one in over a year. Instead of trying one (I looked at the carbs and decided not to have one) I packed them up and mailed them to my daughter in Korea (she has 5 kids)

I do treat myself once in a while with a goodie but find that I pay for it with dumping. Just yesterday I had a sample size (2 oz) of ice cream (double chocolate fudge) and dumped the rest of the evening. I hate the racing heart, hot flashes and nausea. I am obviously still learning what I can treat myself with and what I should skip all together.

Ice cream is the worst thing for me to eat as well. i can't even take one bite then I spend the rest of the night in the bathroom like you.

There are other things as well that do not sit well with me and I stay clear.... :) Not interested in paying that price. I have never had a problem with staying away from things that do not sit well with me....I tried a red velvet cupcake once and I was not even able to swallowed the first bite. Out is came and that was the last time I tried a piece of that.

I am not promoting sugar intake or treating yourself as a form of reward..But that we have to use balance in everything we eat. If it does not work for me I never touch it again.....I wasn't worried about the back of the box. I did not even look at it. It is part of real life to have a treat just because you want it. Not because you deserve it or need to have it.... :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I haven't had or thought about pop tarts in over a year and a half, even though they are always in my house. All this pop tart talk is getting to my head! The mind is a very strange thing.....

I haven't had or thought about pop tarts in over a year and a half, even though they are always in my house. All this pop tart talk is getting to my head! The mind is a very strange thing.....

Sorry @@MichiganChic that was never my intention.... :rolleyes:

Ha Ha! I just had to open this thread! I thought - what thread on here could possible be titled, "Pop Tart!"

Now I know! Plenty of good advice goes before me on this one, I'll just say know your limits!! : )

If you want it you might as well have it. If you were a newbie I'd say think about what it is....full of sugar...do you really want it? I know what you mean about pop tarts. I can't have them in the house. But you've made such great progress you know what you are doing. Enjoy!

Happy to know that I am not the only one who suffers with food...being 2 weeks post op..I have done a couple of things I regret but I know its a learning experience....I take it one day at a time and pray and cry and cry and cry..its not easy but can't wait till it does get easier...thanks love ya

Eat it and enjoy...sorry I have no control

That is the entire point of the sleeve. To give you time to learn how to conquer the addiction of food. Working out the reasons why in your head, will help you work your body...

This tool gives you that opportunity to learn how to eat to live not live to eat....

So I do believe in treats as well. Always have..With balance and moderation....We are never going to totally beat the addiction. We will fight until our last breath. The point of weight loss surgery is to improve your health. By educating yourself about food and all the aspects we use it for. And then changing the way we see it.....

I will be a food addict the rest of my life..But I work every day to find the balance and moderation needed to reach my goals and stay there......I kinda like the control in this way now..It used to be I had control of food in my world and nothing else. Now I control what goes in my body...I love seeing food left on my plate and carefully examining how my sleeve is acting toward it.....Amazing machines aren't we all! :)

I made a deal with myself from the beginning that I can eat anything guilt free long as I track it. Because of this deal I don't indulge all that much knowing that I can have whatever I want.

I also have issue with dumping if I eat sugar/fat foods like ice cream. I am so in the habit of looking at sugar grams that is usually enough to dissuade me from too much indulgence. I have had cinnamon pop tarts 1 or 2 times in the last 15 months. They sure are yummy. I say if you crave it, have it and get it over with. Better that than eat 4 healthily things trying to avoid it and then have it anyway. Just track it. Another trick I have is taking bite or two of the "cheat" food and then making the rest inedible like pouring ketchup on a pop tart. Throwing in garbage not enough I may pull it out. And not every location has a handy garbage disposal. I was having a delicious baguette one day. But the whole thing had like 300 cals. I ate half then poured an leftover cup of tea on the rest before throwing it out at the office. I didn't want to take a chance that I'd dig it out from the garbage under my desk. And really half a baguette is extremely filling enough for sleevie.

I made a deal with myself from the beginning that I can eat anything guilt free long as I track it. Because of this deal I don't indulge all that much knowing that I can have whatever I want.

I also have issue with dumping if I eat sugar/fat foods like ice cream. I am so in the habit of looking at sugar grams that is usually enough to dissuade me from too much indulgence. I have had cinnamon pop tarts 1 or 2 times in the last 15 months. They sure are yummy. I say if you crave it, have it and get it over with. Better that than eat 4 healthily things trying to avoid it and then have it anyway. Just track it. Another trick I have is taking bite or two of the "cheat" food and then making the rest inedible like pouring ketchup on a pop tart. Throwing in garbage not enough I may pull it out. And not every location has a handy garbage disposal. I was having a delicious baguette one day. But the whole thing had like 300 cals. I ate half then poured an leftover cup of tea on the rest before throwing it out at the office. I didn't want to take a chance that I'd dig it out from the garbage under my desk. And really half a baguette is extremely filling enough for sleevie.

I think that if I poured ketchup on the uneaten part I would throw up what I had eaten of it...I have the perfect garbage disposal..Two gorgeous Golden Retrievers who stand ready to eat what ever I do not eat. Yes they are expanding but they are my go two guys when it comes to leftovers...lol

I too spend a lot of time at the grocery store reading labels and always look at Protein and carbs, sugar and salt. Ingredients if I can't say it I put it back...lol

But at times in moderation I do eat a treat..And I never feel bad! But it is occasional...The only reason I even posted this is because my hubby said I had to. That everyone would yell at me. Otherwise I would not have said anything and life would have gone on...

What makes me happy is that a lot of folks on here do not treat the sleeve as another failed diet. But are learning to eat in the real world. Like real lean people do. that I think and feel is the road to success... :)

What do you mean by treating the sleeve as a failed diet?

Well when we dieted before we eventually did not change the way we used food and how we thought about food and why we used it as a comfort when times got hard to deal with. Then we would get frustrated and quit and all the weight would come back on + more sometimes....Nothing learned nothing changed!

There are different kinds of WLS people. Ones who think that it is a miracle cure and think that the surgery will do the work for them and they will just continue to live the way they always have....Two those who treat the surgery exactly the way they did the diets..Rigid rules and constant laws as to what they can and can't eat. Measuring portions and counting to the extreme. But not fixing the issues either. Are looking for numbers not health benefits or this as a new way of life..So they after a few years grow tired and the weight begins to go on again. Three the rare person that everything goes tickity boo and they don't have to work for any of it and it is a dream come true. The weight falls off and they live happily ever after. Last is the main group, who has to look at this program as a completely different way of life. It is a work in progress from day one. They have to keep ahead of the their thoughts and work to change how they feel about food. Find out what the triggers are and work to change them. Learn better eating habits and exercise and keep active..

They have to take the time to learn what brought them to this place and how they have to change their thinking and their motivation regarding a new healthy life style. They have to study their feelings and make changes so that this is a life changing adventure where the end goal is this, healthy and happy. They have a lot of work to do....If these ones make the mistake of thinking that they cannot have a treat sometimes but that they have to plan for it and make sure that if they do they eat one cookie and not the box. They will succeed forever. These ones change their entire thinking about food and what it is used for. They eat in balance and moderation. They live in the real world and so nothing is off limits unless it causes you pain and or is a trigger to a downward slope...

We cannot look at our surgery as a fix all. It is there to help give us time to understand that we have an addiction and a serious one at that...Any other addiction is different in that they do not have to have the substance to live.. But we have to eat......

If we see this as a new life style and change accordingly then we will be okay...We will still have ups and downs and it will be a life long struggle but we are well on our way to a new and permanent life change...

I am sure that some of this is left out and even some of our thinking left out..but the gist of the idea is here....:)