Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thank you RJ for your informative answer. You summed it up beautifully for me. I am in the pre-op stage and working hard to get my head around WLS. I have some free floating fears that I could not pin down and this helped me to understand them - specifically about the rigidity. In my youth....many many moons ago....I was completely ridged about calories and eating...and it wasn't good. I've been worrying about becoming obsessed with calories again...but not able to articulate it well. This helped me so much! I can totally get behind balanced and moderate - in body, mind and spirit! And also pop-tarts :-)

Make sure you address those fears @ and allow the WLS community to aid you with the answers. We have been there and anything you fear someone on this forum has experienced it and can help...Me too, I'm here if you need me. You can even PM me and I will respond! :)

Some of the best advice I got maybe from his forum or some other place I read up on WLS was that it was important to spend the honeymoon phase building your new habits so that by the time you can fit more food in those habits will be well entrenched and seem very natural. Some of those most difficult choices come early on when no matter if you make a bad choice you still lose weight. It is important to build up the "no pop tarts" habit in the honey moon 6 months or however long so that when you can eat a bit more or when you have reached goal and have more choice that you are in the habit to make the right choice 90% of the time. And not beat yourself up about the 10% because by that time you are in tune with your body and you know what you need to do to fit that "pop tart" or party or wine or other treat into your lifestyle.

It takes a lot of work to rethink your old self and build a new you from the ground up @@playlikeworldchamps I am like you or was..I have worked my tail off learning what to eat and how to eat and what is best to eat for my body's sake....The honeymoon period was a delight..Now it is constant on the watch......

I know there will be times that I will struggle..The addiction is just under the skin...But to keep fighting now that I have my tool gives me hope that if I do my part. I will never see 380 again...:)

Not sure if this is just the 'training' I got from my nutritionist, but whenever I have ANY craving, I always look at the nutritional info section on the box, and get turned off by all the bad contents...that's usually enough to keep me on the straight and narrow these days...made it too far to turn back now!!

Not sure if this is just the 'training' I got from my nutritionist, but whenever I have ANY craving, I always look at the nutritional info section on the box, and get turned off by all the bad contents...that's usually enough to keep me on the straight and narrow these days...made it too far to turn back now!!

That works for me too! Just look at that nutritional info and get shocked! I wanted one of those packaged Apple pie tarts the other day. Looked at the nutritional info and saw 50+ carbs. I nearly threw the package back on the shelf!

I spend hours at the grocery store now and it drives my hubby crazy esp. if I forget my glasses and then I say oh can you read this or can you read that......It is fun to shop now. i pick new and interesting things to eat. I love fish and have explored many types. I eat legumes and rices that I did not even know existed...I am crazy for an open sandwich with cheese, chicken slices, Tomato and a bit of mayo....Can only eat one slice...But I love it.....

Now for treats...I do it, I own it and I don't cry about it...If I change and things go in reverse I will tighten the food belt and lay off of refined sugar and carbs. But for now...The world is wide open...And I am running through a large field of change........ ;)

I spend hours at the grocery store now and it drives my hubby crazy esp. if I forget my glasses and then I say oh can you read this or can you read that......It is fun to shop now. i pick new and interesting things to eat. I love fish and have explored many types. I eat legumes and rices that I did not even know existed...I am crazy for an open sandwich with cheese, chicken slices, Tomato and a bit of mayo....Can only eat one slice...But I love it..... Now for treats...I do it, I own it and I don't cry about it...If I change and things go in reverse I will tighten the food belt and lay off of refined sugar and carbs. But for now...The world is wide open...And I am running through a large field of change........ ;)

Yup that's me too. I check nutrition before I eat anything unknown to decide if it's worth it. Today I went to Cheesecake Factory and got one of their Skinnylicious lunches. I could only eat a third anyway. But a third of 580 cals is better than a third of 1500. Once I didn't check at Applebee's and I ate half of a quesadilla burger at 1500 cals! Oops! Learned my lesson to check before ordering now.

But then there is the conscious treat that I have with my eyes wide open and taking full responsibility and no guilt. This is the 10% when I am not perfect but I don't think I want to be either. I am accountable for my choices - track everything and enjoy every bite. It is so much easier to live like this.

Okay so I told my hubby I needed a pop tart...He said go on the forum and tell them that you want a pop tart and they will tell you in not a kind way to not eat that damn pop tart...

I really want a strawberry one with frosting guys......Just one.....Me bad!

I wonder what I am really needing for my body that makes me think a pop tart will do it for me.....Toasted and warm....Dang it!!! Almost 2 years out and want something so menial. Fighting..But still want one!!!!! :(

If you want a Pop Tart then have one, however you will probably feel like crap after and want to get sick to your tummy. It has something to do with the sugar you just want to get it back out of your system...its called the dumping syndrome :(

Okay so I told my hubby I needed a pop tart...He said go on the forum and tell them that you want a pop tart and they will tell you in not a kind way to not eat that damn pop tart...

I really want a strawberry one with frosting guys......Just one.....Me bad!

I wonder what I am really needing for my body that makes me think a pop tart will do it for me.....Toasted and warm....Dang it!!! Almost 2 years out and want something so menial. Fighting..But still want one!!!!! :(

If you want a Pop Tart then have one, however you will probably feel like crap after and want to get sick to your tummy. It has something to do with the sugar you just want to get it back out of your system...its called the dumping syndrome :(

Nope sorry did not feel like crap. Did not feel bad in any way and have no regrets about eating that pop tart...No dumping or any side effects.....Now if it had been ice cream..holy smack...I would have had to run instantly to the head...But alas...nothing....It is over and there has been no relapse since.....Been there done that....:)