Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

I started my liquid diet today and on the way to pick up my youngest at speech therapy I told the girls "on the way back we can go to Burger King" ha! quickly my oldest (8 yrs old) reminded me that I cannot have any. I got them some kid meals and quickly made myself a Protein Shake.

I am following the Unjury liquid diet program.

Monday began my first day of Protein liquids. It wasn't that bad. What's difficult is trying to work and continually give my body fluids to keep from getting hungry. I just left an Oracle training session for two hours and was dizzy. I had two tablespoons of peanuts to get me back, and now I'm okay, I assume my sugar got to low, I don't have diabetes. I'm drinking plenty fluids and continue to work out. I'm not sure as to why my doctor does not have creamed Soups on my list for these next two weeks, only clear broths, fruit juices, Water of course, and Protein Shakes. Seem this would give some substance, especially with my Vitamins which nauseated me on yesterday.Suggestions are welcome.

My surgery is on 6-18 and Im not doing any good at all with the diet :cry

Tracy, it sucks huh!!! What diet are you on? Well, if we were able to stick to a diet losing weight would be a piece of cake!! OMG don't talk about food, I judt made the kids yummy home made spinach, mushroom and fetta pizza and it smells REALLY yummy.

Having a family to feed during makes it harder. Yesterday was not fun for me, I know it only gets harder. I stay away from the kitchen as much as possible. Drinking my shake while cooking seems to have made it easier.

Well, I broke down last night and bought creamed Soups. I'm feeling much better today and it's getting a little better.

This is a real struggle. I found out last week that my doctor wouldn't see me again to talk about scheduling surgery until I lost 10% of my body weight... the whole shrink your liver thing! I am anxious to get on with this, so a week ago today I started this "crash" diet. I am down a little over 10 lb. but its miserable! I'm having one Protein Drink in the morning, then at lunch time maybe a small salad with just a "splash" of dressing & vinegar, sugar free Jello with a tiny bit of fruit later on in the day, Water, tea, sometimes a little Tomato juice. I had a small bowl of cantelope yesterday, too, and now I have some strawberries. But I've had about 450 calories a day. I've been depressed & cried a lot, but I love getting on the scale in the morning because its going down! Hang in there gang!! We're going to do this! :clap2:

well here it is a few days before my surgery and im still not doing good with the pre op thing :cry

Its like mvr said, if I could stick to a diet I wouldn't need surgery. Between knowing that its time to diet, time for surgery and certain foods will be taken off of the menu, and the kids and BUSY life style, and no restriction to keep down hunger, I haven't stuck to it at all! I'm not soposed to be on a liquid diet, just low carbs and sugars, lots of protiens, just the lose and shrink liver thing. I called and talked to them to make sure I wouldn't have to reschedual and they said no but said I was going to have to stick with it and from here on out...that was wednesday....am I going to be able to do this? Makes me wonder about having the surgery :cry

I'm on the pre-op diet also. I have 3 more days till surgery on 6/18. This has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I was determined I would do this. I consumed about 500-550 calories a day of Liquid Protein (Whey Protein from Walmart and Unjury protein ) and Jello and popsicles. Bouillon was a treat. Can't wait to go forward and get on the road to recovery. Good luck to the people on the pre-op.

Hey all

I'm in Australia, and on my second day of the 'OptiFast' diet. I have to do it for 5 weeks, yes you heard right, 5 WEEKS. I honestly don't know if i can go through with it for 5 weeeks without breaking. I know that you're meant to feel better after 3-4 days but i'm finding it REALLY hard.

GAH!

Please don't try this at home. I had fish from long john silvers and had that right shoulder chest pain, before surgery! :faint:I had to put a heating pad on that shoulder. That's it for me. Back to strict liquids. Lesson learned.

yesterday was my 3rd day of liquid diet and I am having a bad time too. Specially feeding my family and cooking for them and not being able to eat it.

When I get hungry I get a cup of yogurt or apple sauce or a shake and stay away from the kitchen as much as possible.

I have lost 4 lbs already.

I did medifast 2 yrs ago and it was easier than this.

I know what all you are going through -I thought I would die from 2 weeks of slim fast - I did 2 weeks of strictly slim fast - with the exception of 2 things... I did have a lettuce/cheese salad with diet dressing 1x per day - (small - couldn't believe how good a salad tasted after slim fast all day) and since my b-day and mother's day fell during that 2 week period, I took advantage and "Looked forward" to a splurge meal on those 2 days - I had my kids take me out to dinner on Mother's day and got steak - and I had a salad with it - (I tried not to blow it too bad) - and on my birthday which is also my DD birthday and we had a cookout - I ate what I wanted - as that was the day before my colon cleanse -and I figured I would be pooping all of it out the next day anyway... I lost 12lbs -and felt so much better - and it must have worked with my liver- as my doc said my surgery was "text book" - I am now a month out and able to eat some things again - I am down 23lbs - and feel great - is it tough -YES - is it worth it? MOre then I could say...since this is major surgery - I wanted to make sure I did everything possible to make it successful - and if that meant slim fast for 2 weeks - then I did. It did make it easer that my best friend volunteered to do the whole liquid diet with me - having a "buddy" sure helped - what a great best friend! She is overweight also -but opted for no surgery. Also, my DH is very supportive - and for the first week I just stayed the heck away from the kitchen...the first week is the toughest - by the second week it is a little easier... hang in there - you can and will survive it - and it will be sooo worth it! You can do anything for just 2 weeks - the pot of gold waits at the end! Anne

I am 5 of my 14 day liquid diet and I am not doing well. I have also cheated -- not a lot -- but a little every day. 1/4 cup of cottage cheese -- a few carrot sticks. A french fry at the ball field last night -- just one. It is so hard sticking to this. I am trying so hard today to have a perfect day because i don't want to dissappointment my surgeon nor do i want to make the surgery more complicated. But I am SOOO hungry. My family has tried to help - they are doing the cooking so I don't have to. But it is still hard.

So i guess now, i am second guessing whether i can do this. If I can't manage to stick to a 2 week liquid diet, can i still to the liquid/pureed/soft diet after the surgery? Was the liquid diet harder for you guys before the surgery or after the surgery?

Man!!! 5 weeks-that's cruelty and torture! It will be worth it though. Hang in there- just focus on one moment at a time......could you go in a coma for those weeks it would be easier lol...Good luck