Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

2 weeks of Optifast for me, and I could have 1 cup of non starchy veggies (broccoli, yellow squash, bok choy, onion, cauliflower zucchini etc), a day. It was super hard. Harder than anyday since being banded, thats for sure!

The doc isn't requiring me to be on a pre-op diet other than 24hrs before, but my insurance says I have to lose 5% of my weight before surgery can be officially scheduled......Lovely :)

Yep. I'm on day five of my pre-op diet.

It sucks.

I'm allowed to have 5 to 6 packets of Medifast per day, and all of the broth and sugar-free popsicles I want.

I've lost 5 pounds so far. Surgery is May 4th, and it can't come soon enough.

But then I hafta follow another liquid diet after sugery..........

*sigh*

I was on two weeks liquid... 3 or 4 for slim fast(optima)first 3 days..., sf Jello, crystal light, sf tea(decaf), coffee, (decaf) diet drinks...and after the 3 rd day, a small green salad with ff dressing...but.....you have to give up one slim fast for the green salad...

Mine was two weeks of low fat, low carb, low cal. If I could stick to that I wouldn't be needing the band. lol. I ate like it was the last time I was going to. No holds barred. Surgery went fine on 4/20/07.

Pre-op (a month before surgery) my doc recommended a high protien, low fat, low sugar diet. I pretty much stuck to that (except for the Thursday before surgery when I went out for a Japanese hibachi meal :3 ).

Hi all,

My surgery is scheduled for May 21st with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, MX.

My pre-op diet from his nutritionist is a Protein shake for lunch and dinner(I love muscle milk shakes), and a lean cuisine for lunch. Also, all the fruits and veggies I want. I lost 15 lbs the first week, but slowed down the second...figures. I have been real good and the nutritionist wants me to lose as close to 36 lbs. as possible before surgery. Yeah...I don't see it, but will be close. I much on dry cheerios and enjoy a cracker or two here and there, plus got some flax seed healthy Cookies, but only have maybe one a day.

Good luck to all. I am getting close to my band date...can't wait!

Peace,

Judy

I'm on day 2 of my two week liquid diet before my surgery and having a really hard time. My doc is very strict about this. I'm allowed 5 packets of carnation instant Breakfast w/ Protein Powder a day. I can also have surger free popsicles, Jello, crystal light and broth. :faint: I'm not crazy about the instant breakfast but hope I'll be able to do it. The big thing that's helping me right now is that my husband is doing the preop diet with me just for support. He's a real trooper. I hope everything goes well for you all!

Nope not me...I was free as a bird until the surgery. Back in the day when I was banded, there was far less preoperative consultation and they just got it done. This however did not work to my advantage considering I adapted some Bulemic type habits. These were hard fought and I succeeded in the long run. Good Luck with it all....POPT

On SlimFast Carb Conscious shakes...6.5 a day. I have to say that I am dreading this but I know I can do it. If I'm ready to binge, I'm allowed an egg or a small cup of Soup or a small chicken salad. I don't think they mean six times a day though!!!:)

hi I am so excited to see someone else from Magee in PA.I'm scheduled for 5-18-07 with Dr. Carol McCloskey. She is in with your Doc. in the group. Were you satisfied with everything,the whole experience? You appear to be doing well with your weight loss.I hope I do as good as you. Good Luck. jen