Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

OK, I'm positive that mine is the worst out there. Two weeks of the "skim milk diet" As much skim milk as I want in ten minutes three times a day with another glass at bedtime. Sugarfree drinks at other times. Nothing else. Period.I've "cheated" and added a scoop of Protein Powder twice a day. Down 10 pounds after one week. Surgery next Tuesday.

Milk 4 times a day and that's it? I would have really lost the lots weight because I can't stand milk unless it's got something in it like chocolate or as a milkshake. I probably would have had a straight Water diet.

Okay Woodguy, I do believe your's is worse than mine!!!! At least I have a little more Protein which I'm hoping will help. I start Monday and will be in the middle of vacation. Should be interesting but I'm determined!

Well - here's my first post. My doc and staff utilize a 14 day Liquid Protein pre-op diet. It was a lot of sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast, Ultra Slim fast, broth, sf popsicles, Propel, etc. It was nasty in the beginning, but by surgery date, I had dropped 24 pounds. I was banded on April 30th and am down 31 pounds in three weeks. Kind of crazy.....

My pre-op diet is a minimum of 12 days of 2 Protein shakes/day, plus one lean cuisine and all the (green only) salad that I can stand (with low-cal dressing of course). I can drink 'diet' drinks - Water, soda, but not too much.

Half a day down, eleven and a half to go. The hardest part is preparing my daughter's meals...and I don't even like Spagettios :rolleyes:

Good luck everybody,

Laura

The nurse practitioner at my doc office said it varies by docter, but that they usually recommend 24 hours of full liquids, then 24 hours of clear liquids before surgery. So, only 2 days of torture for me! Yay!

I get banded on the 18 th and my Dr. had me on a high pro. low carb sence the 1st two days before the band I have to go on clear liqu. and liqu. for 5 weeks after.good luck

My doctor wants me to drink just MILK for two whole weeks prior to surgery. I've read so many postings from this site and have yet to see anyone mention a pre-op milk only diet. Anyone out there that can relate?

Yep, 2week pre-op diet. MAX 30grams of Carbs (do you know how little that is!!!!) and at Least 70grams of Protien with moderation of Fat (No fried foods, butters, high fat dressings, or meats)

Surger on 5/30 with Dr. Longoria at Southwest Bariatrics in Austin, TX

The doctor put me on a supplement diet (2 meals) & no fat, carbs, diary , sugar or starches for dinner.< /p>

The docs said it was to shrink the liver to get it out of the way - to make the surgery easier. And I lost 8 kilos to boot - which was great.

I was banded on the 15th May.. and am going great guns - 4 weeks of Fluid only - then 2 weeks of sloppy food - then 2 weeks of "normal" small meals - then finally my first fill !

my pre-op intstructions are: light meals day before and nil by mouth midnight onwards before surgery day. :hungry:

It's really amazing the range of pre-op "diets" out there! Wow!

This is Day 8 of my 15-day liquid pre-op diet. I've been "perfect" but it DEFINITELY hasn't been easy.... actually, I find it's getting harder w/each passing day. sigh.

I can have 3-4 Protein shakes + Water, Decaf coffee/tea, sugar-free Jello & popsicles, crystal light, & broth (not tom Soup type, but clear). I'm supposed to get 70 g pro, 30-50 g carb, 30 g fat each day.

I will follow the same plan for the first 14 post-op days as well, but am hoping that those will be infinitely easier as I'll have a teensy tinsy tummy and not this growling, gaping one that is none too pleased w/this liquid turn of events!

Good luck, everyone!