Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So let’s talk head hunger…

I’ve never been the type of person to eat a lot on a normal basis (binges yes but not consistent). In fact, my biggest problem is that I often forget to eat, then I get so hungry/dizzy/irritable that I eat the WRONG thing (often sugary items which I KNOW I have to control). My question is this; once you had the sleeve and the reduction of the ghrelin hormone, did you notice that the symptoms of hunger (the dizziness/irritability/etc..) were reduced? If not what did you find was the best way to control your head hunger?

Actually I called the doc today.. I am 10 days post op and yesterday was the first day my tummy was actually grumbling when I smelled the chicken my husband was cooking. It hadn't bothered me up till then. I still have a day before I can move a little on to soft food. I asked if I could start early and they said no it's head hunger but it sure felt like grumbling to me! Haha

You will need to remember to eat. I eat every 3-4 hours. The irritability you experience is most likely due to hypoglycemia by not eating all day, which leads to your craving for sugar. If you set meal and snack time, you will be fine.

You will need to remember to eat. I eat every 3-4 hours. The irritability you experience is most likely due to hypoglycemia by not eating all day, which leads to your craving for sugar. If you set meal and snack time, you will be fine.

Thats a good point/idea. Maybe I can set a reminder on my phone to eat. Thanks

I think many of us do struggle with head hunger. What works for me is to ask myself if I will eat chicken. chicken thunks in my sleeve. If I'm willing to eat chicken, I'm really hungry :-). If I find myself asking, let's see, what sounds good? Then I know it's head hunger.

As to blood sugar crashing, as teachamy suggests, eating regularly is the best way to avoid sugar crashes. Completely different from head hunger.

About 50% of people lose hunger after the Ghrelin producing stomach is removed. However, Ghrelin is also made by the pancreas and the brain - and I guess my brain and pancreas work overtime to compensate for the removed stomach! I got my "real hunger" back on day 10. I could've eaten my arm by the time I ate soft foods at 4 weeks.

For the lucky ones who lose their hunger for a long period of time: IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!

I find that I experience "head hunger" when I am bored. I do not get hungry as a general rule but if I am bored, I find I cannot stop munching. I try to choose Protein (cheese or cottage cheese with yogurt, nuts or jerky) when this happens and then I look for something to do so I will not keep eating. There have been times (usually in the evening) when I realize I have eaten several hundred calories of food and still feel "hungry". Then I get anxious that I am not feeling the full feeling and may be stretching my sleeve. This just feeds my anxiety which frustrates me and I try drinking Water to "fill me up" till I feel that full feeling.

I know what the problem is but still struggle with the emotions and boredom. Trying to avoid boredom is hard, just as hard as avoiding food.< /p>

I'm about four weeks post op and I swear I feel hungry every couple hours. But I'm also still pretty laid up from recovery so it might be head hunger/boredom/grazing.

I feel a little bummed out how easy it is to get over 800 calories for me already. But it's true the sleeve isn't a miracle and I have a lot of years of bad habits to break.

Hopefully once I'm back to work and able to move around again I'll be less "hungry". And I'll keep working on the mindful eating stuff. Even though I got this surgery I am still planning on attending an upcoming mindful eating workshop.

Actually I called the doc today.. I am 10 days post op and yesterday was the first day my tummy was actually grumbling when I smelled the chicken my husband was cooking. It hadn't bothered me up till then. I still have a day before I can move a little on to soft food. I asked if I could start early and they said no it's head hunger but it sure felt like grumbling to me! Haha

Curious, what was your post op schedule like?

Curious, what was your post op schedule like?

First week was Clear liquids except Protein shake.... Sip sip sip Water and low sodium broth and dilutes juice tea or coffee that's it!! One ounce cups I had to fill and keep track of on a sheet he have me. 2oz of Protein Shake over 20 min first three days out if hosp then 3 oz over 20 min 3 x's a day.

Second week all that but I get to have loose oatmeal/cream of wheat.. The low sugar kind.. And low fat cottage cheese small curd and apple sauce low sugar and loose mashed potatoes. I have to use a two oz cup when I have those and I have to take at least 20 min to eat them and no fluids 30 min before or 45 min after.

Third week I can add 1/2 scrambled egg... 1/4 piece of toast... tuna or salmon packaged... Can add condiments.... 1 or two crackers. Stop Protein shakes from now on!! No calorie drinking. Just Water and zero calorie drinks.

Fourth week through sixth week I can add soft veggies soft fruit... No seeds.... Soft Beans... Soft pasta/ Mac n cheese ect.

Seventh week I can try anything but I have to eat Protein first then veggies then if room... I doubt it,,, carb

I am basically never going to eat more than 1/2 a cup or 4 oz of food... I can only do 2oz right now but after all swelling is down I should be able to do 4oz. Of course I probably can do more at that point but I wanna treat my new tummy right and not stretch it out! So I resolved myself to never eating more than 4 oz at a meal. : ) also no drinking 30 min before and no drinking 1 hour after!

Fourth week through sixth week I can add soft veggies soft fruit... No seeds.... Soft beans... Soft pasta/ Mac n cheese ect. Seventh week I can try anything but I have to eat Protein first then veggies then if room... I doubt it,,, carb I am basically never going to eat more than 1/2 a cup or 4 oz of food... I can only do 2oz right now but after all swelling is down I should be able to do 4oz. Of course I probably can do more at that point but I wanna treat my new tummy right and not stretch it out! So I resolved myself to never eating more than 4 oz at a meal. : ) also no drinking 30 min before and no drinking 1 hour after!

Over time that will change. I'm at 9 months out and I can do 1 cup. I typically do 3 oz of meat and the rest as veggies. I know some people also do 1/2 c meat, 1/4 veggies and 1/4 c grains, per their doctor's orders. Once you pass 6 months, 4 oz likely won't be enough to keep you full for the 3-4 hours you want between meals.

Fourth week through sixth week I can add soft veggies soft fruit... No seeds.... Soft Beans... Soft pasta/ Mac n cheese ect. Seventh week I can try anything but I have to eat Protein first then veggies then if room... I doubt it,,, carb I am basically never going to eat more than 1/2 a cup or 4 oz of food... I can only do 2oz right now but after all swelling is down I should be able to do 4oz. Of course I probably can do more at that point but I wanna treat my new tummy right and not stretch it out! So I resolved myself to never eating more than 4 oz at a meal. : ) also no drinking 30 min before and no drinking 1 hour after!

Over time that will change. I'm at 9 months out and I can do 1 cup. I typically do 3 oz of meat and the rest as veggies. I know some people also do 1/2 c meat, 1/4 veggies and 1/4 c grains, per their doctor's orders. Once you pass 6 months, 4 oz likely won't be enough to keep you full for the 3-4 hours you want between meals.
Really!! That's good!! I was hoping I wouldn't be stuck with 1/2 cup of food my whole life!! Haha 1 cup sounds more reasonable!! My doc has long term you eat Protein first then veggie then if you can your bread or carb. This makes me feel much better!! Thanks!! : )

When I get head hunger, and just can't escape it's nagging, I eat meat, chicken or pork first to fill me up and retrain my brain to associate meat with head hunger. After eating Protein, and I still have that nagging little voice, I will allow myself a small portion (remember I'm physically full from the protein), about 1/2 a coffee cup (a real coffee cup, not a Starbucks Grande!) of whatever I'm craving. I'm normally satisfied after that.