Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome Ellynmae!

What part of Florida??? I live in The Villages!

Linda

HealthyJudy -

Hi. Glad you are on track. I also had an adventure in Constipation. My doctor said to take Miralax. But it seemed too artificial or something. Anyway, you have to keep on top of it (ha ha) and do whatever your doctor tells you. But constipation, especially at our age I think, is commonly reported. I was sleeved in Sept. of 2014 and have lost 60+ plus pounds. Just to be able to touch my feet easily and put on my sneakers is great. The health benefits cannot be overstated. My blood pressure is down 20 points; ditto my cholesterol. My knees love me again. My feet and eyes even look better. I've got some extra skin under my chin, but who cares? Love the new clothes. Love getting up out of a chair easily. The first six months is a "Golden Time" when the weight melts off. Take advantage of that.

Ok, passed another hurdle this week. Went in for my physc eval and passed. She said she saw no reason to hold me back from the surgery, that she saw no reason for me not to go forward.

Have to admit I was a little scared about this visit. Guess we all probably are.

So now, I have a second NUT visit and that same day I will have my fourth and final visit with the PA. This is on Aug 6.

Then! They will submit to insurance and I will keep my fingers crossed that it goes through and I get approval.

Phew, I also, after the ins approval comes in, have all the other docs and tests to get through.

Never easy is it?

Later friends

J'm still constipated and I haven't lost weight in 6 days! I have an appointment with an acupuncturist on Wednesday and I am hoping that will help but right now this is frustrating!

I added Metamucil to my Water and that helped. Also, i stewed prunes and drank the juice. That really worked well. You may need a softener afternso many days

J'm still constipated and I haven't lost weight in 6 days! I have an appointment with an acupuncturist on Wednesday and I am hoping that will help but right now this is frustrating!

I had the same problem about four weeks out. I tried everything with no "results", even a trip to the emergency room (which was pretty useless). I finally read the directions on the stool softener and laxative and found I was only taking one pill instead of the three I should have been taking. I had a day of untold misery, but finally all systems were clear... It had been a week and I learned to keep on top of things from that experience.

I might add that my weight stall was over after that. Good luck, I know what you're going through.

Kate

The PA at my doctors office told me to start on Aloe Vera juice. He said it would help after surgery with healing and Constipation. I found some at Sprouts that isn't too bad. It's by Lily of the Desert. It's not flavored but the taste isn't too bad. I still take Metamucil powder in Water in the mornings. Don't know what I'll do after surgery, maybe the softener pills.

Smooth Move tea works when your constipated. I am 17 mo's out and have to take a 250 mg stool softener everyday to keep going. For some reason this surgery is constipating. Good luck.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I now have a long list of "remedies" to check out during my doctors appointment tomorrow. I did have success today after taking Milk of Magnesia but I know they do not want me to take that as an ongoing solution.

Hi...I'm new here and 63y/o. I'm glad to have found others in my age group. I'm just beginning the process and will not meet with my surgeon until Aug 20. I'm hoping for the gastric sleeve however will have to address an old gastric band in place since 1985. I had an upper GI about 12yrs ago and it showed no restrictions and the band appeared to be held in place by adhesion's. I'm really nervous about this and afraid of what the surgeon will say. I get so excited reading all the success stories and seeing all the pictures and then end up in tears because I'm afraid it will not happen for me. What is a surgeon going to say about a gastric band that's been in place for 30yrs? I'm so afraid I will not be a good candidate for the sleeve. I'm scared and can't wait for Aug 20th,,,I need to know.

Texy

I did not know that they put in gastrric bands 30 years ago. That's a new one for me. I would not venture to offer any kind of advice or insight about your experience, since yours is so different from most of us and specific to you. Your surgeon must know the exact right kind of procedure for you. I wish you the best of luck in your coming appointment. Please keep us informed as to what your doctor suggests.

Hi Cococat,

Thanks for the response. My band is known as the "Molina Band". Dr. Molina began the surgery in 1980 and it was a real nightmare for many people, I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Some almost died from the band and many had emergency surgery for removal. I've never had any adverse effects that I'm aware of. I've been told that the surgeon will not know what condition my stomach is in until the endoscopy is done. I'm real, real nervous about that.

Texy

Well, I guess I've got a new mark in my favor to get the approval for surgery.

Woke up from my nap on Tues. afternoon with a headache, feeling shaky, never felt like that before. Did a finger stick and it showed 447. Went to ER and they gave me saline and got it down to 210 and sent me home. The ER doc was less than useless, started quoting the book to me about high BP, high Chol., high sugar blah blah blah, like I was a two year old. Never asked about history or anything! Hate doctors like that.

The only thing that was different for the day was the foot doctor had given me a shot that morning in my foot of Dexamethazone. He said it MIGHT have caused the spike.

Went to my PCP the next morning and he put me on Januvia. He said that would be a good thing as far as Medicare approval. Then after surgery I'll be able to drop it.

Just going to be so glad when all this is over.

There are several people in my local support group who did the sleeve after the band. They are all so happy they did it and seem to be doing very well. I hope everything works out for you.

And i'm still having Constipation problems and the medicine does not work at all or it works too well and I feel like I will explode. Not pretty or comfortable. i'm using 3 stool softeners, a med called amitiza, and today I finally took MOM again (that worked) and Smooth Move tea. And I started acupuncture last week. I wouldn't care but on day 3 or 4 I start to get intestinal pain and my weight seems to have stalled. I got to the -50 point a few days ago (yeah!) but now back up half a pound. I've been in this same area for about a week and I want want want to get going (both in terms of you know what and in terms of weight!)

Toler -- my surgeons office said that they have never had anyone refused on Medicare. It seems to be the best insurance as for as this surgery goes. Less hoops to go through than some other insurance. Guess there is an advantage for being older to counter the disadvantage of our skin not being as elastic as in the past. Hope you are doing better.