Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@HealthyJudy

That is fantastic!! You may not think so, but, every little experience like this gives us all a boost. At least it does me.

My hubby and I are planning a trip to Vegas in Dec and I've been a little worried about the eating. I'm still hoping to have my surgery in Sept, so I should be on "normal" food by the time the trip rolls around. Told my hubby that this would be a cheap trip as far as the eats go LOL Funny thing is, when we were first married that's what we did, got one meal and split it and it was plenty for both of us. That was the one time in my life where I had control of my weight.

Vegas can be challenging -- just skip all the buffets. We did a few dinner shows (we were near Branson) where the food was included. Dolly Parton's Stampede gives each person Soup, bread, a slice of pork, potato, corn on the cob and an entire chicken! (and dessert.) It was ridiculous. I had one small sip of Soup, 1 bite of the pork, and a small part of the chicken. That was more than enough. I took some chicken back to the hotel refrigerator for lunch the next day and the rest went in the garbage. At the moment I felt sad to not be able to eat all the food while everyone around me was eating so much. An hour later I felt proud of myself,my body felt comfortable rather than stuffed and what mattered was that I had a great evening with my family. Food was minor part of it. What I actually miss the most is being able to drink lots of Water at meals. Not drinking is hard (and I mean Water, skipping alcohol is easy for me) My guess is that come December splitting a meal with your husband will still be too much food for you. Most likely he will eat the meal and all you will want will be a few bites. My husband is having the surgery too -- hopefully also in late September. After that i think splitting an appetizer will be all we can handle!

I am wondering something, and I'll ask the doctor also, but, the drinking and eating situation. Is that an on going thing, or later will that change? I think about that every time I eat now, when I take a drink, I tell myself that I'm not going to be able to do that after surgery.

Like you, not drinking alcohol will not be an issue, I rarely drink now. I have given up all carbonated drinks already.

Yes, I will probably just grab a few bites off my hubby's plate.

Thanks

I think its ongoing since the Water would fill up our stomachs and not allow us to eat enough Protein. Tonight I really wanted to drink my flavored water after i ate. but after 1 small sip I knew I would have to wait longer or I would feel sick. By the way, unless it has tons of ice in it, I no longer like the taste of plain Water. I carry Crystal light flavor packets to add to the water. I never ever did this before surgery. So strange how taste changes.

I usually drink a lot of Crystal Lite too. I like the Orange but can't find it anymore. I switched to Orange Crush (it's just like Crystal Lite). I also like the Concord Grape by Crystal Lite.

I seldom drink plain Water, and don't drink anything in anywhere near the amount I should. I think that is going to be the hardest thing for me, getting the fluids in. My doctor's assistant keeps telling me how important that is, and I really do understand it is. They said they even have a room set up for IV fluids in the office. They say it happens a lot, especially here in Arizona, people just not getting in enough fluids.

I guess I should use one of the bottle holders I make and just hang it around my neck LOL

The possibility of my taste buds changing is why I won't stock up on anything before surgery.

Where do you live in Arizona? My 22 year old daughter spent the summer working in Prescott. She is now back home in Maryland for 6 weeks and plans to move to Flagstaff in mid October to eventually go to school there.

I'm in Tucson. We have been here since 71. We love it. We have harsh summers but it's the price we pay for our beautiful winters.

Can I ask where you got the weight ticker that shows under your posts? I see it in everyone's posts but don't know where to get it.

I'm not great at technology. I asked about it when I first joined and someone told me how to get it. I think it was on sign up page for your account.

toler how have you been any news on your surgery ? I go to the Dr next week cant believe its been a yr and a half since my operation... Where do you live in tucson Im on the east side

Patsy, I'm on the far east side, at Broadway and Houghton. You can go to my FB page, Cathleen Spiller.

Don't have surgery date yet. They have submitted for Medicare approval, I should know in another week or so. I'm still hoping for a Sept date. I am SO ready.

I go to Tucson Bariatric, Dr Jeffery Monash. I really like everyone there.

Since it's been a year for you, any tips you can pass along?

toler the main thing when you are out of surgery is Water and walk, the more you walk the less gas you will have and the faster you will heal., I went to dr burbee . also your doctor can give you a card that says you has surgery and cant eat a lot and they can give you a child menu or smaller meal.. usually i just tell them i had a operation and if i can have a plate i'' share with hubby and they are fine with it or i have a appatizer instead of meal.. but you can order and just take whats left home.. believe me you don't want to over eat when you have had enough stop.. feel full stop. and do wait till at least a half hour to drink after you eat . the pain isn't worth it.. the first time i overate i felt like i was having a heart attack. it was no fun and believe me one time and you will never do it again. any questions you have i will be glad to answer if i know the answer..

I live on wilmot, between speedway and broadway so we aren't that far away.. i don't do FB sorry

Yes, the walking I'm up for. I've been a slug the last two months because of my foot. Have/had a stress fracture in the left foot. Finally getting the boot off Monday. I'm actually looking forward to getting back to the gym. LOL didn't think I would ever say that!

The Water thing is where I'm going to have to really pay attention. I just don't normally drink very much. I have given up the carbonated drinks but I still don't drink as much as I should. I'll have to hang a bottle of water around my neck LOL along with a timer!

what gym do you go to I'm glad your food is better, its good you already gave up carbonated drinks, i have forgotten what a diet coke taste like lol but fluids is really important. especally where we live.. and in the heat we have been getting. I'm bad about fluids even now. you just have to get into the habit of having a bottle of drink with me all the time.

I joined Desert Fitness at Pantano and Wrightstown. I tried LA Fitness, but never felt comfortable. It's a meat market.

I feel a lot more comfortable at Desert Fitness. Most of the members are older, like me. Working out has never been fun, but at least I don't feel like everyone is looking at the fat old lady LOL