Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Graduated to Post-Op!

Hello! I had my surgery on 4/11 and had horrible complications afterwards due to the pain meds that I was on. I am now feeling a TON better and have an appointment on Thursday! I'm so excited to start this journey. I'm supposed to get a fill on that day, so I feel that my weight loss journey is barely about to begin :) A few times before and after surgery, I really started to regret my decision to get the lap band. Now, I am SO thankful!!! Last time I checked, I was down 26 pounds since my pre-op! I'm proud of myself!!!

Cccv4, it's so good to read your posts. You've come a long way in a few weeks. Hang in there. We're gonna do this!

Congratulations. We have the same Band Date. Sorry you had problems with the pain meds. I try to avoid if possible. You did good for your first few weeks. I'm down 20. My doc's practice is to wait six weeks before the first fill. I was kinda of glad because it gives me a bit of time to see what foods I can tolerate and get use to my band which is why he fills after six weeks. An If I'm loosing ok he won't need to fill. I can live with that. Keep us posted and remember to eat slow chew, chew, chew. It helps you identify your stop.

@@JustWatchMe I feel that I've come a long way mentally through all of this. I've learned that I'm not perfect (which is why I'm on this journey), and that if I fall, I need to pick myself up and keep moving. My journey has had many highs and lows and I wanted to be upfront and honest from Day 1 on this website. I want others to be able to read my story and say, "If she can do it, so can I!" At first, I was so discouraged reading so many stories of people on here who do everything cookie-cutter perfect. I'm not like that. I screw up, and I find that I am way too often harder on myself than I should be. I'm learning that this is a trial and error process, but the important step is to NOT GIVE UP!

@@relief57 Yay! We are band sisters! So good to meet someone who was banded the same day as me. I'm really struggling right now because I have absolutely NO RESTRICTIONS. I can eat anything, which is kind of frustrating. My doctor said not to worry, and that it is because I have little to no liquid in my band. It doesn't even feel like I have a band, and the only way I realize that I do is by the incisions on my tummy. I can drink Water without taking breaks, and I don't really feel that I get full like I thought. I got on the scale and realized that I gained a few pounds back. I was really angry with myself, and someone yesterday told me, "Looks like you already put back on what you've lost." I was so irritated, but told myself that I will not let this defeat me!

Girl watch out for those haters. Next time just say "thanks for noticing" Let that be your mantra. Cause they will soon be saying "oh wow, you're really loosing the weight". Don't beat yourself up. I think I have psych'ed myself out. I don't like throwing up. So I chew slowly and well. I swallow and wait to see if I get that acidic feeling in my throat then I keep going. My doc says I should only eat as much as I can hold in the palm of my hand. Once I get to that point I back off. He also said to only eat when I feel hunger so I wait for it. I've convinced myself (after all the reminders from the community) that the band is just a tool. I feel like it provides me a constant accountability partner. With any accountability partner you can listen to it or override it, which defeats the purpose. Just remember don't let the haters get you down cause they are waiting for signs of failure. I haven't really told a lot of people. No one on my job knows. I don't need the extra pressure. Family is in my corner and I have given them permission to pull my coat tail. We just need to be honest with ourselves and learn from the journey. But hang in there you will get to that sweet spot when all you have to do is coast on your journey. We'll be cruising in no time. We got this!!!

Awesome!!!! Way to go!

Feeling a little frustrated and down today, which has also caused me to not be disciplined with eating. I've had family members who are saying, "She must be drinking sodas again because she hasn't lost any weight!" And last night someone close to me said, "You're not getting a fill until May 28th? You could easily put all your lost weight back on!" Another person said, "You lost the weight, but it looks like you're putting it back on!" :( The worst was getting a message from someone I really love and he said, "I can't wait to see your transformation into beauty!" Is it just me, or is that kind of rude? He's always focused on beauty and skinny people, and when he said that, it made me feel like the Ugly Duckling. :(

Yesterday's appointment didn't go well. A stitch was popping out and my surgeon had to go in there and cut it, and pull it out. OUCH! It was bleeding like crazy and hurt like hell. Today I'm sore, but my incision where the port is looks a lot better.

OMG, you are going to need to shut those people down ASAP. One statement I like is, "It will take the time it takes." I say that to remind me that I didn't put it on overnight and it won't come off magically just because I have a band. But I have to admit, it seems a little bit magic sometimes, that decrease in appetite, etc. And I don't talk to other people about this at all, besides you guys. This is my safe haven, where I know people get it and I won't be judged. Don't forget to congratulate yourself on how you have chosen yourself and your healthy future and you've taken this tremendous step of weight loss surgery. You are doing GREAT! Sorry about all the complications -- pain medication is such a drag sometimes and I don't feel like enough caution is issued along with those prescriptions. And the stitches healing up, etc. You are going to feel so much better shortly -- that moment when the turnaround happens can be subtle but it's such a relief. And then hang in there for the coming weeks when the band is installed but the right fill might not be there yet -- it can take some tweaking but it is all so worth it. Be gentle with yourself. The transformation into beauty comment was badly phrased but I'm sure it was well-meant, as in your beauty is very evident. Happy May and happy new life!

@@Bandista Your comment came at the perfect moment, as I am having such a low day. I am in the middle of moving, and am having problems right now. The move + still being fat + slowly healing + I want to eat everything on the value meal but can't + mean comments = very sad me. :(

@@Bandista Your comment came at the perfect moment, as I am having such a low day. I am in the middle of moving, and am having problems right now. The move + still being fat + slowly healing + I want to eat everything on the value meal but can't + mean comments = very sad me. :(

You'll have your highs and lows. Don't let others get you down, set yourself a few small goals and focus on them. Before you know it you'll start seeing the progress in your clothes and on the scales. Don't forget Water and exercise.

Hang in there. People can be such oafs. Glad your port site is better.

GRRR!!!

Went to get my fill today and OUCH! My surgeon had a hard time finding my port and kept having to poke around to get it. He told me that this is not that uncommon, but that it will be easier to find the port as I continue to lose weight. He wants me to go back on Monday to start fresh and see if he has a better time finding it. It wasn't excruciating pain, but lots of pressure and very uncomfortable. Has anyone else heard of this?