Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2014 RNY/Bypass Post Op Support

Sweetnel is right! No matter how much you try to prepare yourself, everyone is different. I am 7 1/2 weeks post op and have lost 41lbs so far. Yes you are going to have trouble eating, drinking, getting in all your nutrients but just make sure to listen to your doctor and take your vitamins!!! My joint pain has improved greatly and I am no longer having BP issues. I have a check up next week to see about my blood sugar and I'm hoping I'm out of the woods on that. I was never diagnosed diabetic, but I was told I was at risk of PRE diabetes (what ever that means). Of course it's all still new so I am still learning what I can and can't eat and actually just threw up because I was playing with my daughter and didn't chew like I know I am supposed to and it got stuck. You will learn your body and what you can and CANT do. It really is a lifestyle change and one that I never knew how unprepared I was but I wouldn't take it back for ANYTHING. I am so glad I had my surgery.

Had surgery on April 22. I have been doing pretty well. But I was told on Thursday that I have gall stones. I've had no pain today and still hoping it does not automatically mean surgery again!

I had my gall bladder out 2/14 and my RNY on 4/15. Trust me, you don't want to have a gall bladder attack! I had to go to the ER twice. The surgery recovery was less than a week.

. I'm nervous about the possibility of having surgery again so soon. I've heard stories from friends who had gallbladder attacks and definitely hope that doesn't happen. Thanks it's good to know recovery is so short.

. I'm nervous about the possibility of having surgery again so soon. I've heard stories from friends who had gallbladder attacks and definitely hope that doesn't happen. Thanks it's good to know recovery is so short.

My gallbladder went out shortly after surgery 6 months to the day it was removed recovery was 2wks

I had my gallbladder removed feb of last year. You do NOT want a gallbladder attack. I describe it as worse than labor pains! I had a gallstone get stuck in my bile duct and created a blockage it hurt so bad I could barely breathe! I had to have my mom pick up me and my 5 month old daughter at 5am and take me to the ER. After the ultrasound showed a blockage, they admitted me immediately for emergency surgery. In the hospital for 5 days:/

I am glad I got it out over a year before my WLS. One of the first questions my surgeon asked was if I still had it. Said patients usually end up losing it soon after WLS.

I asked my surgeon if we can just remove it since it may cause an issue. He said no. I don't understand that... Why not kill two birds with one stone?!

I dont understand it either, I had my RNY and gall bladder out at the same time

I'm not sure that's how this went, and I can't find the right part of thread where everyone was talking about it, but there was a woman on this forum that ended up with fatal complications after she had to be opened up during her surgery and got her gallbladder taken out at the same time. Her complications costed her her life:( it's best to listen to your doctor. Gastric bypass is considered a major surgery and you need to heal, if your gallbladder causes you problems later, then you can get it removed. The surgeon that removed my gallbladder told me that a lot of people have stones and don't know it. Mine was like gravel in mine...that's why I had the pains I had.

Edited by JessM11

That's awesome Jess!!

I've been experiencing a great deal of stomach pain and burning. I'm almost 7 weeks post op. I was doing fine. But now my appetite has decreased and this pain and burning is giving me the blues.

Any suggestions?

I've been experiencing a great deal of stomach pain and burning. I'm almost 7 weeks post op. I was doing fine. But now my appetite has decreased and this pain and burning is giving me the blues. Any suggestions?

Have you talked to your doctor?? I don't think burning is normal:/ just call and see what he/she says.

Decrease in appetite? Tell me about it. I had to have an abscess lanced and drained 2 weeks ago and I was on antibiotics, pain meds and anti inflammatory meds (which are all liquid because I still can't take pills. So in the morning...2 oz of Vitamins, 20 ml of antibiotics, 20 ml of liquid ibuprofen then the same in the evening plus 15 ml of pain meds. Because of the placement of the abscess, my doctor was afraid of infection and it hurt so bad for days...but anyhow because of all that liquid medicine, and having to drink a lot of Water on top of the antibiotic (as required) I just felt full and queezy all day:/

I've been experiencing a great deal of stomach pain and burning. I'm almost 7 weeks post op. I was doing fine. But now my appetite has decreased and this pain and burning is giving me the blues.

Any suggestions?

Do you have a gall bladder?

My gallbladder was removed years ago. I was constipated and took a laxative. I feel a little better.

My gallbladder was removed years ago. I was constipated and took a laxative. I feel a little better.

I got like that when I started on solid food again, I couldn't eat much so I wasn't going every day (more like once every 3 days) and it made me feel bloated and hurt but I don't remember any burning:/

Glad you feel better dear:):)