Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Best Shock-Absorbing Walking Shoes?

Wow; thank you all so much for the great recommendations! I am looking forward to shoe shopping! :D

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'm going to get both good shoes and sole inserts.

I plan to try on several shoes to find the best for me, so keep the suggestions coming! :)

There's another company -- Vionics -- that makes stylish shoes with a built-in orthotic footbed. They used to be called Orthoheel and Dr. Weil but were bought out by Vionics. I got a pair for a New Years's Eve dance and they are wonderful. Also a pair of snazzy sandals with a sassy little heel. This built in "prooper" footbed is the wave of the future. I think we'll be seeing more and more of this as people have so many foot problems, plantar faceitis, etc. Here's to happy feet that still look glamorous!

My custom orthotics were over $300 and the Sole inserts are just as good if not better. They fit that high arch and hit just right, preventing rolling, etc. Sole has their own line of shoes but I don't like the styling (the corkbed flip-flops are great, though -- I wear them around the house as I can't really be barefoot anymore, sigh).

I have a high arch, wide feet (10WW), plantar faciitis/achilles tendonitis and a bunion. I love Aetrex and Orthaheel. New Balance and Saucony are good too!

I didn't have luck with Drew or Spira (the ones with the coils in the heel).

Be well…

I agree with the shoe fitting recommendations. I swear by Saucony. They recommend that you buy two pairs of running shoes and alternate them each day. Good luck!

I went in the other direction and bought barefoot shoes called Vibram Five Finger Shoes. They are designed like the foot of toe-socks, and have a rubber sole for protection against rocks. Some extreme atheletes even climb mountains or run marathons in these things. They are a little pricey, so instead of getting mine from the Vibram site, I got them on clearance from http://www.travelcountry.com.

Hi to all out there,

I'm still 7 weeks out from surgery, but I have started walking daily and low-carbing 2 meals/day.

I currently have Puma shoes that I walk in but I'm feeling exhausted after my walks and I have decided it is the shoes I am wearing as they lack cushion and shock-absorption. My ankles, knees and outer thighs ache during and after my walks :o , so I ready to buy new shoes for my walks.

Anyone have a shoe brand they swear by that absorbs the shock of weight impact on the pavement? I would love suggestions!

I have tried Nikes (too narrow for me but usually good at cushion). I wore Ryka's a long time ago and can't recall how I felt about those.

Help! Thank you!! :)

I just want to echo a lot of the suggestion here to get a fitting. Go to any running store in your area. They can help you. Yes, I believe Shoe Tree has the little Dr Scholl's pressure sensor thingy ... that is not what I'm talking about. At the running store, they will have a treadmill and video cameras. You will take off your shoes and socks and they will video tape your gait as you walk on the treadmill. Pretty much everybody has some level of supination/pronation in their feet. (See attached image or Google one of these words if on mobile device that doesn't show the picture I attached)

prosup.gif

They will suggest shoes which support your level. Getting a shoe which is really spongy is actually the last thing you want to do. It is not going to be weight absorbing as you may think. Sure, it may feel great when you first put them on and bounce around the room, but it is not going to give you the support you need. You have already noticed this. It will affect your knees, hips and even your back.

Running stores do this for free, but as also mentioned, a podiatrist can also do this. Of course, whenever starting an exercise routine, it is recommended to consult with a doctor, so a podiatrist may be a great first step, assuming your insurance covers it.

Yes, the shoes are going to be more expensive than you may be prepared to pay, but also know that a properly fitted shoe will also wear longer as there is going to be firmer support in the areas you need it. They will wear more evenly providing longer life. In the long run, they will actually last longer than a show which is not properly fit.

Edited by PdxMan

I agree with the others visit your podiatrist. I have a very high arch and had plantar fischistist in both feet before surgery. I have my special arch support along with Asics shoes which are designed to fit the womans pelvic and hip motion and once I got these the pain in my feet stopped. Finding the right shoe for you is heavenly!! Good luck!

I trained last year with the YMCA for the 1/2 marathon. They had a couple of stores they suggested. Go to a sporting specialty store. They have someone watch you walk w/no shoes, to see how you walk, and if you roll your feet in or out when you walk, etc. They watch your knees and hips too. After that they chose a shoe that was made for that type gait. Mine in particular are Brooks. I walk on the insides of my feet. These have a very sturdy heel and force me to walk the correct way. They are pricey, about $120, but I am asking them to carry a lot of weight (mine) and go a lot of miles. All together with the training and the 1/2 marathon, I probably had about 200+ miles on them. I have new ones for this year. Spend the money, get professionally fitted, it will be worth it...because YOU are worth it! Keep up the good work.

Here are the shoes I bought over a year ago. I've been averaging 12 miles a week for the past year walking in these and I swear by them. They have 2 sole inserts to customize the amount of cushion. Plus the soles are extra thick. I do a lot of walking in my local park and the straps really help support my ankles. They are made for diabetics that have foot pain. I got them off Amazon. I'm a size 10 1/2 and the shoes size seems to be spot on. I ordered an 11 because my feet were swelling. When I reorder, I'll be getting the 10 1/2s.

post-147109-0-44370300-1396485491_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00130SWU6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00130SWU6&linkCode=as2&tag=weilosadv-20

I really love my New Balance shoes, but would strongly recommend getting fitted at a runner's store or someplace that will evaluate your gait and help you get what you need.

I agree with PdxMan....Nothing better than getting the correct shoes FOR YOU. :)

Thank you to everyone who wrote in-I'll get fitted this weekend! :)

Thank you to everyone who wrote in-I'll get fitted this weekend! :)

So, can we get an update on your experience? Share so others can learn.