Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

First of all I will introduce myself, I am new to the boards and to the band. I was banded on May 16, 2007. I went to see the dietitian today for the first time--because if some other issues I never met with her before. She said I was doing good, except I was still eating a little too much. I have been eating about 1/2c Protein and then 1/2 cup veggies for lunch and dinner. For Breakfast I usually have these 3 little veggie bites from Boca that are very soft and mashable. Usually before bed I will have a little bit (like 1/4 cup) of peaches or mandarin oranges again, cut/mashe up. She said I shouldn't have any Snacks at all. And occasionally I will have a mini babybel lite or some soy crisps broken up and chewed really well. That way I have been hitting about 80g of protein per day and staying at about 700-1100 calories. She also said to try and eat starch with my meal like mashed potatoes, toast or cream of wheat...

Okay now here is my question? Do I have to? Especially since I am eating enough protein? She wants me to supplement with Protein Powder or drinks... Which seems unnecessary to me... She said to have more of a "balance." I just find bread, Pasta and potatoes to be trigger foods for me. I have so far never gotten hungry.. granted I do sometimes have a 50-100 calorie snack though, but always a high Protein One. Also I have never (knock on wood) gotten sick. I don't eat until I am "full" I allot a small portion eat it and am really satisfied. I am just afraid to deviate too far from this routine b/c it seems to be working pretty good. ( I have lost 18 pounds so far) But I also don't want to do anything that will hinder my weight loss.

I figured you all would know best. You have probably interacted with a lot more band patients on a regular basis and also probably hear a lot more about their eating patterns and what works for them "realistically" I guess I just felt like this was a very generic outline. But believe me I am not trying to be difficult, I just wanted your input. Now I am in no way trying to follow a "low-carb" plan--I just find that I am really happy and satisfied with fish and chicken and veggies? Which is so incredibly unbelievable to me! Like tonight I had about 3/4c of this 99% lean turkey chili I made (with no beans) and two mushrooms cut up and sauteed in 1 tsp of olive oil, I would much rather eat that than 1/4c chili, 1/4c mashed potatoes, 1/4c fruit, 1/8c of veggies and 1/8c of cottage cheese... what the handout suggests...

Thanks so much for listening--I hope I am not being difficult.

Janine,

Good luck. Make sure you keep us posted with your progress. You'll do great.

Kadrianmatthews,

Look at you!! That is amazing. Keep up the great job.

Cindy

Thank You So Much :(

I am sooooo happy for all of you that have come this far. We deserve a big applause or something! LOL!! I am two weeks post-op....I went to see Dr. Spivak yesterday, well actually his nurse. My stiches in my belly button were feeling, looking kind of weird. They were infected and they cut some out....it hurt, but I guess that is the infection. Well I am down 15 pounds since my surgery. YEA ME! My scale at home is not very reliable....I can get on it 4 times and every time it is different.....but I keep getting on till I see a number I like!! LOL!!! Does anyone else do that?? How about shift your body, or exhale till the number makes me happy!! LOL!! Well I am gonna throw that scale away.....but I might buy a new one. I did walk yester day for a whole hour....me and my 6 year old daughter....I even ran a little and I could tell my belly was still sore so I had to cut that out real quick! Well I am scheduled for a fill in 2 weeks....so for now I am gonna concentrate on exersizing and drinking my water! I am terrified of the fill....I saw the needle....I dont think its gonna be very pleasant. YIKES

Sandra

Dr. Hadar Spivak

Houston, Texas

Highest weight 255

Surgery

Hey Sandra I was at Dr.Spivak office yesterday also. Maybe we saw each other and didn't even know it. I was there aroud 11:00am:)

I figured you all would know best. You have probably interacted with a lot more band patients on a regular basis and also probably hear a lot more about their eating patterns and what works for them "realistically" I guess I just felt like this was a very generic outline. But believe me I am not trying to be difficult, I just wanted your input. Now I am in no way trying to follow a "low-carb" plan--I just find that I am really happy and satisfied with fish and chicken and veggies? Which is so incredibly unbelievable to me! Like tonight I had about 3/4c of this 99% lean turkey chili I made (with no beans) and two mushrooms cut up and sauteed in 1 tsp of olive oil, I would much rather eat that than 1/4c chili, 1/4c mashed potatoes, 1/4c fruit, 1/8c of veggies and 1/8c of cottage cheese... what the handout suggests...

Your not difficult. But eating a smaller portions of each food group does help with the wieght loss. I haven't had a pleasure of going to a specilist but they dont know everything. Just take into consideration what she is saying try it see if it works and go from there.

Me I only eat 500-600 calorie a day and on Saturday I allow 800 calories and then I back to 5-6 calories on sunday I know that this does not work for everyone but it's working for me. Does what's best for you but also consider some the dietician's input.:(

Ohhhh! My appointment was at 2:30 pm. My next appointment will be on the 20th at 2:30. When is your next appointment???

Sandra

Ohhhh! My appointment was at 2:30 pm. My next appointment will be on the 20th at 2:30. When is your next appointment???

Sandra

I don't have a next appointment. The nurse told me since I was doing so well that I didn't have to come back until I wasn't losing any weight. Or any other complications happen Hopefully I want ever have to go back(haha).:(

Hi guys! Now that I am feeling significantly better, the old head hunger is coming back. I am finding I can eat pretty much as much as I want too. There is no "knot" anymore like I felt at first, which made me stop. My 1st visit with Dr. Spivak is on the 21st, I hope, to get my fill. I guess the next two weeks are going to be a struggle. I was getting on the scales every single day when the weight was sliding off, but now I recognize the hunger is setting in, so I don't want to disappoint myself. I'll do it once a week...especially since I am only 3 pounds away from breaking into ONEDERLAND for the first time in about 12 years....My port area feels okay...no problems. My steri-strips have all fallen off, except for the port one (which is looking rpetty gray and dirty). I guess it's time to start the exercise program....

I am terrified of the fill....I saw the needle....I dont think its gonna be very pleasant. YIKES

jsrico

I had my fill with Dr. Spivak today...it was NOTHING!!! I honestly didn't even feel the slightest stick or anything! He fills you in the room, then takes you to the fluoroscopy thing and you drink barium. I could tell right away that it wasn't going down, and you could see it on the screen. So, he removed some of the saline (he uses a VERY small needle in that is hooked to a small tube, connected to a syringe...that way he can adjust it while you are in front of the fluoroscope...it just hangs there when you are drinking, etc)...as soon as he took some out, you could see the barium going through. He was happy with it, and took the needle out. It was the simplest thing ever! DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT! It was so very easy. You will do FINE!

Hopefully now the scale will start to move again. I have officially lost 15.5 pounds since my 1st meeting with him. He rocks!

Ok I went to my 2 week post op appt today...I got banded on the 24th of May...I have lost 9 lbs...I was a little disappointed but the Dr. said Im right on track...Considering I havent lost a pound in years I should be ecstatic....Anyway I get my first fill in 3 weeks and Im finaly on soft solids...YEAH....

Hello Everyone.

I feel guilty posting my results to you because I did not have any pain, did not need to take any pain medication, and have lost almost 30 pounds so far. Started at 240 now down to 208. I saw my doctor this past Tuesday, and he said I am one in a million. I am doing sooo good and I look sooo good you'd never know I had surgery a little more than a week ago. I am walking a lot every day down the street and around the yard. I will be on full liquids from now for the next 40 days. Doctor says it is important for the band to be secured to the body by the body creating adhesions over the band. Then he said beginning around second week in July, I will move to mushy stage for two weeks, then to the solid foods. I am not arguing against his logic. He is the surgeon who brought the lap-band surgery to Chicago and to Northwest Indiana. I know I am with the best. He has done over 1,000 weight loss surgeries and for me, personally, I have chosen the best. Before surgery I read all your posts and thought I was in for a hell of a ride. But, again, I must honestly tell you I am teriffic and I am very blessed to be in such good health. However, I must tell you my secret..... I prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet every day for almost a month before surgery. So I only have my Lord to thank for my success.

Carol

I went for my first post op today. Nothing they can do for the port pain, I just have to try to heal without overdoing it. The good news is I am on mushies and I have lost 21 lbs since surgery!!! I am very excited!!! I just had an egg beater that tasted like heaven!!!

Carol....glad to hear you are doing so well. How much have you lost since surgery???

I have a really dumb question, but for those of you still having port pain, when you go to bed at night do you support yourself with a pillow by your port? I do that every night, even though it's been 3 weeks, and for me it makes all the difference in the world. If I don't use a pillow my port hurts, I guess from the pulling of gravity. Anyway, I then put a pillow so that I'm laying lightly against it and it's enough support so that I sleep wonderfully.

If you haven't tried it, maybe you should.

Someone else wrote about feeling her port or something move sometimes. I've had that situation, much more so when I was still very swollen. Now I don't really notice anything unless I try to roll over in bed, then I feel something, and have a bit of pain.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my 2 cents! :)

BTW, I went for a "healthy lifestyles" meeting at the hospital which everyone post-op, has to attend. There were about 30 of us there, and considering there are only 4 doctors (all in the same group practice) affiliated with the hospital that do lapband and RNY, there was wildly different advice from a couple of the doctors as to what could be done! Also, the dietician that gave part of the presentation was giving some totally different information and advice about drinking Water, etc. than all the information the doctor gave me and that was in my packet of info! Really weird! I had to see my sleep apnea doctor afterwords for a checkup with my cpap machine, and when I told her what the dietician said about not worrying about the amount of water I was drinking, the doctor said NO WAY! I take 2 bp meds, and she told me to take one of my BP meds only every other day, not to drink ANY Decaf coffee or tea, and to increase my water to get at least 50 ounces a day and really try for the 64 ounces.

With all the different advice out there, I'm surpised that the lapband procedure is as successful as it is!:)

I don't know how I've missed this thread, but I'd love to join in! I was banded on May 16th and am down eight lbs.

First of all I will introduce myself, I am new to the boards and to the band. I was banded on May 16, 2007. I went to see the dietitian today for the first time--because if some other issues I never met with her before. She said I was doing good, except I was still eating a little too much. I have been eating about 1/2c Protein and then 1/2 cup veggies for lunch and dinner. For Breakfast I usually have these 3 little veggie bites from Boca that are very soft and mashable. Usually before bed I will have a little bit (like 1/4 cup) of peaches or mandarin oranges again, cut/mashe up. She said I shouldn't have any Snacks at all. And occasionally I will have a mini babybel lite or some soy crisps broken up and chewed really well. That way I have been hitting about 80g of protein per day and staying at about 700-1100 calories. She also said to try and eat starch with my meal like mashed potatoes, toast or cream of wheat...

Okay now here is my question? Do I have to? Especially since I am eating enough protein? She wants me to supplement with protein powder or drinks... Which seems unnecessary to me... She said to have more of a "balance." I just find bread, Pasta and potatoes to be trigger foods for me. I have so far never gotten hungry.. granted I do sometimes have a 50-100 calorie snack though, but always a high Protein One. Also I have never (knock on wood) gotten sick. I don't eat until I am "full" I allot a small portion eat it and am really satisfied. I am just afraid to deviate too far from this routine b/c it seems to be working pretty good. ( I have lost 18 pounds so far) But I also don't want to do anything that will hinder my weight loss.

Carolena, your body is good at telling you what it needs. I think we all ignored it for a long time, or else we wouldn't be on this forum! IMO as long as you're getting your protein, taking your Vitamins and drinking your Water everything else will take care of itself. Personally, I have to restrict my carbs because I'm diabetic, insulin resistant and carb-sensitive. But 3 weeks post-op, I'm down from 3 diabetes meds to 1 (I'm off insulin altogether!). YMMV. So listen to your body.

I have a really dumb question, but for those of you still having port pain, when you go to bed at night do you support yourself with a pillow by your port? I do that every night, even though it's been 3 weeks, and for me it makes all the difference in the world. If I don't use a pillow my port hurts, I guess from the pulling of gravity. Anyway, I then put a pillow so that I'm laying lightly against it and it's enough support so that I sleep wonderfully.

If you haven't tried it, maybe you should.

Someone else wrote about feeling her port or something move sometimes. I've had that situation, much more so when I was still very swollen. Now I don't really notice anything unless I try to roll over in bed, then I feel something, and have a bit of pain.

Anyway, I thought I'd add my 2 cents! :)

Keiko, I've slept with pillows supporting both my back and stomach for years, so I can attest to this working. I only had port pain at night for the first 5 or 6 days post-op.