Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and very thankful for it in beginning my journey. I'm at month five in my required six-month supervised diet program. I'm 57 years old and sometimes question if I'm older than most in making this decision.

Did/does anyone else have second thoughts when it came/comes to age? Concerns other than the slightly higher risk of complications that comes with age? I certainly don't feel it's ever too late in the game for a better quality of life, but during my office visits, doing research or even watching tv ads, I sometimes feel like I'm the oldest person out here taking such a major step so late in life.

Am I too old? Or perhaps just too sensitive to getting older? Will I have the same success no matter what the age?

I suppose I should pretend I'm 30 and start thinking of the long wonderful life I have ahead of me. :)

Thanks!

Storm

Hi

It was being older that frightened me to do it..

Looking at my mother who cannot walk (knees), has dementia and is blind(both because of strokes),

made me certain I did not want that in my future.

Before I hit menopause, I always fooled myself that the answer was just (another) diet away but

after menopause even on the strictest diet I only lost a pound a month and put it back on my first business trip.

So no, you are not too old to change your future..

NO! NO! NO! NO YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD!!!! I had just turned 58 when I had my surgery 2+ years ago......and it has CHANGED MY LIFE and I feel 20 years younger. Take a look at my blog if you want to see what changes can happen in a 58 year old....I am now 60 and loving life!!! (I always loved life, I just love it more now). You will not regret it. If you need some inspiration or validation, just take a quick look at my ABOUT me page here: www.queenofcrop.com/about

I could list hundreds of reasons you should do this and at the top is how much healthier you will feel as you get older. (Not to mention how much fun you will have!!!)

Good luck and keep us posted.

No you are not too old! I am 61 and I am thrilled with my body and the clothes I can wear! It's never too late to feel better about yourself and make yourself healthier!

Nope, not too old.

Anyway, that's your age - what's the number in your head? Mine is 19, an age I seem to have reverted back to since I lost weight ;-)

Good luck to you.

I am 56 and it makes almost a year now... best thing I have done for myself... loving life and loving my sleeve... I still am in the process and have not reached my goal but I know I will... 70 lbs.. gone... and loving life... :)

I thought the same when I was 66. now I am 68. I changed some things. the old habits are still there. but being 190 is better than being 320 or even the 428 I carried for 10 years. go for it

67 and feeling wonderful, almost 4 months post op. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

Had my sleeve last sept age 56 wish I had did it at age 35 only because of all the fun I missed.

Absolutely No complications! Just celebrated my younger hubbys 50th and danced all I wanted

which was more that I have in years eating wasn't my priority.

Go for it you won't regret it.

I had my sleeve just before my 50th birthday..............and my life has never been the same (In very good ways)....no regrets.

Hello to all you youngsters. :D I am 68, got my sleeve when I was 67. I had a number of medical issues, any of which could have caused a problem with surgery. But no, nothing happened.

With all the advances they've done in medicine, operating on a senior is nothing. So, don't let age stop you. Heck ... don't let anything stop you. Hop onboard the Grannie Express! :rolleyes:

Picking the right surgeon is key. Do your homework. Check the surgeons out. I knew my surgeon was one of the top surgeons in my area. A number of people tried to convince me to change to another surgeon. The one they were recommending was a frequent visitor to my surgeon's office, who has been called in frequently to fix what the other doctor messes up. I'm sure none of his patients know the truth. He's a nice, friendly guy. That's all they cared about.

I was 50 when I had my surgery, and I felt 50 or 60. Now I feel 20 again. I do think my age is preventing (or at least making it more difficult) to lose the last few pounds, but I'm way better off at this weight, even if I never lose another pound.

I didn't have any co-morbidities - yet - but I was on my way. My blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar were all rising. I feel like I dodged a bullet by having the surgery and losing the weight before any of that had a chance to take hold and do damage. Now all of my labs and vital signs are great. One thing though, I started moving a lot more, and I do have a bad knee that needs to be replaced. I'm sure I had that before surgery, but because I sat all the time, I didn't know it. Pretty sure all the excess weight caused it to wear out prematurely, but being thinner makes it much easier on my body.

I lost 37 lbs in the first 3 mos. - may not be as much as some, but I'm thrilled that I lost it forever and am continuing to lose!

I met a woman at a support group who had surgery (she had a bypass) at 65, she is now in her 70's she had lost over a hundred pounds she looked great and was living life to the fullest, she looked really young and happy, I couldn't believe she was in her 70's. You're never too old to get healthy. Good luck!

I am 55 & just 7 weeks out and would do it all again.