Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FMLA and doctor's release to return to work - HELP!

I work in a large company and have PTO (and here PTO does actually mean Personal Time Off - but everyone is still VERY up everyone's business) I have already put in for 1 week & 2 days & my leave has already been approved by my supervisor.

Is it really necessary to use/turn in FMLA paperwork? Dr. Cabrera has already filled these in for me.

If I do go with the FMLA paperwork do I have to get a doctor's release to return to work?

My only concern is, what if I need more time to recover? Do you all think 11 days after surgery is enough to return to a low impact desk job - just mentally a painful!???

I'm just on the fence about the FMLA paperwork - because my HR department will tell my "big" boss who will tell everyone. Everyone on the floor I work will know and I just don't want that - I am VERY private and would like to keep it that way.

I understand the HIPPA laws, but trust me - this place everyone finds out your business, even though they shouldn't - they do.

When the questions start about "how are you losing weight" - I'm going to tell everyone I'm on medifast and no carbs & working.

Help me please!!!

FMLA - yes or no?

Dr. release to return to work - Necessary?

How much time do I really need to take off?

What is typical time off for most?

I hate to say but isn't that everywhere u work ppl are in your business.....I hope so one can answer that because I didn't want anyone knowing of my surgery either

Hello I'm scheduled 3/14. I don't want to do Medical leave because I will have to use my PTO and sick time first. Therefore I'm taking a week off with no pay.

In terms of my coworkers and residents, I'm telling them I'm having a surgery on my stomach to improve my digestive system...lol. It's the truth, my digestive system will improve drastically after the surgery ;)

Good luck to you!

I had my surgery on 2/10. I work in the health system where I had it done so I didn't even try to keep it a secret. That being said I was working 4 days after my surgery and back in the office one week after my surgery. I did not use FMLA. Of course everyone is different. After the third day I felt so much better hope you do too!

I used It too, just in case of something happening... I did have to get a release to go back to work, but was easy, just called them up and they faxed it over same day. I went back to work today, 1 week post op. But I did tell anyone and everyone that would listen,

Hi,

I had the paperwork submitted just in case something happened. I wound up not needing to take more time off, but this guaranteed I would be covered if something did occur.

HR at my company encouraged me to submit it, and they told me it was for my protection.

I was out for a total of 11 working days. I had surgery on Friday, 10/25. I also had another surgery on 11/4,

and began working from home for half days from 11/5 to 11/8. I returned full time on 11/11.

I felt great the first week after surgery, but after the second surgery was more tired. My doctor wants you to take off two weeks. You just never know how you will feel.

My employer required a letter from the doctor stating I could return to work.

Edited by ribearty

I work in a small organization and handle the HR function, I filled out my own forms which I then gave to my boss to "give" to me. I did it as a pre-caution in the event that I had a difficult recovery. We also require medical certification, however, your doctor can keep it vague and merely state you are under their care and will require time off of whatever duration works for you. My doctor said I may need up to 4 weeks, I was back to work today exactly 2 weeks after my surgery and honestly could have gone back earlier. I was out shoveling snow on Thursday, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that! I had my computer at home and did a couple of things for my boss while I was out. As to needing an authorization to return to work, check into your employee handbook, we require one after 10 consecutive working days absent. I took advantage of the holiday and so was technically only out 9 days and didn't need one. We have lots of nosy people in my work community, but I've just continuously told anyone who asks that I was taking leave in order to take care of some personal things, I didn't even specify that they were medical things. I had also decided if anyone tries to probe further, I intend to say that I prefer to keep personal things on a need to know basis and that they don't need to know--said with a smile of course!

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for getting back with me, it means a lot.

Hi,

i used my sick time. My job also requires written notice. My doctor gave me a generic letter (on letter head) which just stated I was having surgery and needed to be off from this time to this time. He had me off from Jan 7th until Feb. 17th. Just in case there were complications. The office said it's better to ask for the most time up front, than coming back and asking an employer for more time. I was back at work full time on Jan 28th. I just wanted to make sure I was as close to 100% as possible. It worked out great. I was really tired the first week back, but by the second week it was smooth sailing. I told NOBODY about my surgery. And to this day nobody has a clue. As far as they know I am a healthy food eater who works out 3 days a week (intensely) haha.

I'm sorry that you work at such an unprofessional company. Seriously. Been there and it sucks.

I work for a huge company, too, and I think it's terrible that your "big boss" would tell people that you are having surgery. Extremely unprofessional, and possibly illegal due to HIPAA laws. I wonder how his or her "big boss" would feel about that!

I too work for a large company. Everyone ends up knowing everyone's business somehow or another. As soon as I was approved I let everyone know. I figured they would all find out sooner or later anyways. I will be taking 3 weeks off. Using FMLA. I have been here just over 15 years so I will be getting full pay while I am out. I am one of the lucky ones with an awesome job with awesome insurance. My surgery is also covered 100 %. 5 more days!!!

I am considering this very thing myself. I have 6 weeks vacay/sick leave saved up, and that seems like more than enought time. Then again, it seems like it owuld be nice to take 2 months off to really recover and see how I feel. All that time to focus on healing. Then again, what if 2 months makes you go nuts? All that time to fixate on food....it must be different for everyone.

Does anyone know- do we have to exhaust leave balances prior to going on FMLA? It sounds like no, based on @two.penguins answer.

HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act) has actual, legal repercussions for others disclosing your PHI (protected helath information). It is unacceptable that your management would engage in this.

If anyone can offer any advice, do I ask HR for the forms for FMLA? Or my manager for the form? Also if I have to inform HR..do I have my doctor film out form to return to HR? Thanks in advance for feedbacks.

Apparently the company I work for isn't the "norm". I get 12 weeks a year of FMLA time. If I have worked 1250 hours over the previous 12 months. As of right now, in my "contract" I am union, I don't have to exhaust my vacation/personal time 1st.