Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FMLA and doctor's release to return to work - HELP!

I forgot to add. I get my FMLA forms right off my work pc. I don't have to ask for them.

I was worried about the same thing as well but my surgeon's office was able to complete the paperwork without being specific about the kind of surgery I was having. Also, the reasons for FMLA leave should be confidential, regardless.

Cover your assests, so your job and your paycheck are not effected. Only you know what it in your heart, perhaps go in and talk to your big boss and ask him/her to keep this private and ask them also to help you keep it private with HR as well. Tell them you are doing this for your health and you would like to be honest with him about your time off but for now you'd like it to be private. I would make sure to have all the paper work submitted and filed before hand. Good luck with all of it!

I was sleeved on 2/06/14. I took off 12 days from work and I work for DHS and have a desk job. I wasn't told until the day before surgery at work by a co-worker that I had to fill out FMLA paperwork. I used my sick and annual leave and the FMLA was basically for my job security. I did not need a doctor's release to return back to work. I would definitely recommend taking at least a week off. I couldn't even sleep in my bed for almost a week, slept in my recliner. Best of luck to u. P.S. forget what others think or say, their opinions don't matter and do not define u. There will always be gossip. U have more important things to focus on, like your complete lifestyle change. You are retraining your body to eat all over again. This is both a physical and mental journey. Also remember this is MAJOR surgery.

I used my PLB time and then my FMLA. I say use the FMLA just in case something happens and you need more time off. FMLA saves your job if you need more time off from work. I thought I was really strong and would bounce right back, but it took me a month to go back to work. You maybe different.

I too didn't want to tell anyone about the surgery but once the pounds and mainly inches starts coming off and you start wearing new clothes, people are going to ask,"have you loss weight?" I would say, No, not really. But now, I just go ahead and say, yeah I did something during the Christmas and I go on from there. One of the reasons I felt like being honest is, I want to help people in losing weight and since our insurance did cover it, they too can do the same thing.