Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for those who had lower start BMI/under 100 pounds to loose

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the board and to the WLS process. I have been lurking on here for a few months now and have found everyone's posts so informative and helpful! I had a few questions regarding rate of weight loss and sagging skin for those people who have 100 pounds or less to loose. While I know everyone is different, I was hoping to hear people's real life experience.

I am going to assume that when you hear of someone losing 40 plus pounds the first month, it's because they were several hundred pounds over weight to start. Obviously the more weight you have to loose, the quicker it will come off in the begining. Does this amount of significant weight loss happen for people with less weight to lose? What is typical?

How bad is the saggy skin? I have had two pregnancies and already have stretch marks on my belly as a result of that. I have come to terms with the fact that I will likley have saggy belly skin. I'm curious about the rest of me though!

I am 5' 7" and currently weigh 231 pounds (BMI is under 40 but I qualify because I have PCOS and insilin resistance.) I would like to set my goal weight between 140-150. I am almost done with the required classes at Kaiser and scheduling my sleeve surgery for early summer.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Edited by Bluesea71

My surgery weight was 192 and I am 3 weeks post op and have lost 15 pounds so I suppose it is slower for those of us who have less than a hundred pounds to lose. That is just me though, I'm curious to here from others.

Good topic, because I have less than 100lbs to lose myself.

I had sugery September 25th 2013. I am 5'8" and weighed 193 day of surgery. As of this morning (almost 5 months post op) I weighed in at 135. My goal is about 125. As for sagging skin, because I'm somewhat tall, I don't really have any in my belly, unless I'm sitting hunched over. I find that I have some sagging skin at the top of my thighs though. I'm sure it would be better if I exercised more lol. But overall, I'm extactic about the outcome and don't regret anything. Wishing you all the best of luck. :)

I was sleeved May 2013 at 224 lbs - I have lost 75 to date - none in the last two months. I have about 20 to go which will probably be the hardest to lose. But thankfully I survived the holidays and didn't gain anything.

I am 5' 6" and on the day of surgery I weighed 228. I am 7 months post-op and I now weigh 158. I am in my mid thirties and I have had 4 kids. My stomach is saggy because of it. I too accepted that from the beginning, but my arms and legs are not really saggy at all. Nothing a little bit of added muscle can't handle. I can wear sleeveless shirts, shorter dresses and shorts without fear or embarrassment.

I'm 5'2" and my starting weight was 206. I reached my goal weight (125 pounds) in 10 months. I'm 13 months post op now and this morning I weighed 115. I only have a very small amount of saggy skin on my upper thighs and upper arms, but not bad at all. If I actually worked out for a couple months, it probably wouldn't be an issue at all. It's pretty minor in my opinion. My stomach is actually flat with no sag. In clothes, you can't tell I have lost any weight. :) best of luck on your journey!

I am 5'2". Surgery was 12/12/13 and my surgery weight was 193. I am approximately 10 weeks out and now weigh 151. My goal weight according to my bariatric surgeon is 135. I'm quite content where I'm at now. :)

I was a lower BMI, just like you. I'm 5'6" and two months prior to surgery (April 2010), I weighed 228. That was the day I attended the seminar and had my first doctor's appointment. I didn't have a 1 or 2 week liquid diet or anything other than the normal liquid diet the day before surgery, but he told me at the first appointment I needed to lose 10 - 15 lbs pre-op. I lost 23, ahead of the game!!

The day before surgery I weighed 205. I really did not have a goal, I wanted to lose 50 pounds. I had NO idea what to expect. I definitely underestimated what this new little tummy could help me do!!

At my three month checkup, my doctor set a goal for me, 150 pounds. Wow, I'd have been happy at 170 but it just happened so fast, I knew I could lose more! I reached Dr. Davidson's goal at five months and MY goal (145) a month later. Right at 60 pounds, post-op. My total loss varies between 83 and 86 pounds.

It happened really fast, but I was very rigid, diet wise, during those six months! I hope this helps! * Saggy skin has not been a problem, arms aren't great, but they aren't horrible *

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the board and to the WLS process. I have been lurking on here for a few months now and have found everyone's posts so informative and helpful! I had a few questions regarding rate of weight loss and sagging skin for those people who have 100 pounds or less to loose. While I know everyone is different, I was hoping to hear people's real life experience.

I am going to assume that when you hear of someone losing 40 plus pounds the first month, it's because they were several hundred pounds over weight to start. Obviously the more weight you have to loose, the quicker it will come off in the begining. Does this amount of significant weight loss happen for people with less weight to lose? What is typical?

How bad is the saggy skin? I have had two pregnancies and already have stretch marks on my belly as a result of that. I have come to terms with the fact that I will likley have saggy belly skin. I'm curious about the rest of me though!

I am 5' 7" and currently weigh 231 pounds (BMI is under 40 but I qualify because I have PCOS and insilin resistance.) I would like to set my goal weight between 140-150. I am almost done with the required classes at Kaiser and scheduling my sleeve surgery for early summer.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Edited by StratusPhr

I'm 5'6". I weighed 232 to start and 223 at surgery. At 7 wks, I've lost about 32 lbs. my goal is low 160's, but I'd love to lose more.

I am starting to sag a bit in the belly but not anywhere else. I am over 50, so I'm sure that doesn't help. Good luck!

I'm 5'3" and you can see my weights below. My goal is to lose 70 lbs, and my goal weight is 130.

Most of the above replies did not mention age, but it's definitely a factor in my case when speaking of sagging because I'm 60 years old and I have never been a fan of exercize. On the positive side: I have always avoided being out in the sun, I've never been hugely overweight, and I have not had any children.

I've lost 38 lbs so far, and I'm sagging several places but it's not horrifying (yet :rolleyes:). Places I notice the sagging most are my neck, upper arms, boobs and belly. I may well have plastic surgery after I've been at goal for a while - depends how bad the saggies are at that point.

Best wishes on your journey!

Halfway there. I started my program in late August 2013, at 5'4" and 235 pounds, with a goal weight of 135 because that was the adult weight at which I was the healthiest. With that 53" belly you could see that's where a good half of that weight was. Just look at my before pictures.

At 48 pounds down, I am halfway there, but I will admit that most of the lost weight is from my upper body. Here's the thing....I am fighting this fat as hard as a 62 year old woman with post-stroke and osteo-arthritis challenges can. I exercise EVERY day, and if I don't feel like it, then I do modified exercises. Two days a week strength training and hips/buns/thighs/abs, five days a week aerobic exercise, and EVERY day walking a mile, even if it is in the house or standing at my walker. There will be no bat wings for me.

So, the boobies are holding on for dear life - I imagine toning up my pecs is helping with that. The belly, well, it is down 3" and has shifted downward. Hope against hope, I am exfoliating every other shower and rubbing in almond oil to keep the skin cells active and soft. If nothing else, i will have a saggy SOFT belly. But if I have to become a senior citizen body builder to run interference against flab, then I guess I will do that. I am just gonna fight it kicking and screaming up to the last pound. I am actually starting to see a waist, and I felt ribs last night.

One thing I have learned as I go, is that worrying about skin and hair is not getting me anywhere, so I will just keep following doctor's orders and deal with the rest of this as it comes up.

I was sleeved Dec 5th 2013. Weight on surgery date was 275 as of today I am 213. I can't wait to get under 200. I dont remember when I saw that last. I am almost 3 months out and down 62 piunds. My goal is 160

I was sleeved Dec 5th 2013. Weight on surgery date was 275 as of today I am 213. I can't wait to get under 200. I dont remember when I saw that last. I am almost 3 months out and down 62 piunds. My goal is 160