Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a small leak. now all hell has broken loose

Ana, I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I pray the stent does work. If it doesn't I hope your surgeon is willing to try alternatives like the ones RJ mentioned. If they aren't, is another surgeon an option? I know some cities don't have big hospitals/health care systems but if you feel you need a second opinion please get it.

Is there a friend or neighbour who can help u clean up the house so u dont have to see the mess and get even more depressed? Hang in there, I have a leak and drs are deciding between a stent or removing my stomach completely.

AnaBanana, please do not give up. I am getting ready for my journey and I come here regularly to check on those people who's are having rough time with their sleeves. My heart goes out for all of you... You will do this, you've got this, you have to believe in this. Do not worry about your house,in fact I wish I could clean it for you but I am far away from you, I am sending you virtual hugs and I have you in my thoughts!

RJ you are truly a blessing. Every time somebody is going through complicatins you are the first to give advise and say it in such lovely and respectful way, I just want to hug you and tell you how important you are for all of us, sleeved and pre-sleevers.

thank you guys.

i'm still crying and listening to sad music today. crying is good because it lets out all that emotion i have pent up. i am terrified of having another emergency surgery or that horrible horrible pain. i feel fricking traumatized by it almost.

i'll have a crying day and deal tomorrow. i will try not to force myself to gag.

thank you again.

Anabanana you hang in there girl . I'm so sorry you are having problems. You are in my prayers . Hugs and I usually don't hug but you need one. Please don't cry.????

thank you guys.

i'm still crying and listening to sad music today. crying is good because it lets out all that emotion i have pent up. i am terrified of having another emergency surgery or that horrible horrible pain. i feel fricking traumatized by it almost.

i'll have a crying day and deal tomorrow. i will try not to force myself to gag.

thank you again.

Go ahead Ana...cry...But never give up okay..I had 14 surgeries while I was in the hospital and 2 since I came out....It is quite a trip for both of us....I know I will not give up and neither will you...Your a strong woman and need to trust in your health care provider..Tell him your fears and concerns......

I came through it so will you...one step at a time girl...one step at a time....Each little NSV will mean so much to you.. I know it does for me because I paid a huge mental, emotional, and physical price for it.....

Soon you will be able to encourage others. And give them hope and when they think nothing else can be done..You'll know better.......

Come on Ana...show me what you got eh!!!!!! :)

I will be getting a stent also. I am talking to a lady on FB who has a stent because her stomach twisted. She may have to live with it. She told me her dr said the stent feels this way because its doing its work, protecting a leak. Every day you will feel better and better. I am scared, girl, I understand. We gotta hang in there, thats all we can do. Every day there is a new challenge and I break down then pick myself up. Its hard, I know but somehow we make it through. What was it like getting a stent in? Thats the part I am terrified about

hey.

i saw my doctor today, he discouraged me from getting the stent removed this week (it will have been 3 weeks). he really wants me to do the whole six weeks. although the doctor who put the stent in only wants me to have it for 4 weeks. i am forbidden to gag myself with my hand, which i have been doing for the last two weeks. my doctor said the pain and discomfort is from the gagging and the anxiety. i don't know. feels like blades in my breastbone and being stabbed in the back.

putting the stent in was pretty uncomfortable but not the most uncomfortable thing i've ever experienced. i was given versed and fentanyl which was supposed to 'put me to sleep' lightly but i was completely awake and totally out of my head. i'm a squirmer so three nurses had to hold me down while i gagged and moved around. make sure you empty your bowels before you get the procedure, i had the runs at the time and i basically soiled myself from gagging so hard. the only thing the drugs did was make the procedure seem quicker than it was. i'm not looking forward to the removal.

i'm trying to drink a little bit even though i'm on a j tube. i get so thirsty i just crave cold cold ice or Water. it hurts to take bigger gulps. but i keep doing it cuz it tastes so good. i guess i have to deal with this for another 2 - 4 weeks. i'm trying to be strong and be inspired by you guys. it's so hard. basically i've been laying on my couch with a tubefeed watching tv shows. tylenol and buscopan (to stop spasms) don't really help i guess like my doctor says i gotta control the pain mentally. he won't give me any painkillers which really pisses me off because the first week of my stent i was in the hospital and getting morphine and gravol every few hours and was in total lala land and didn't feel or worry about a thing. guess they don't want me to become a junkie. lol.. cuz i probably would to deal with this. i'd eat a crapload of morphine to get my mind off this pain and discomfort...

Ana.....So you have to keep the stent in for 6 weeks. That is the standard time frame for this. Look you are not sore from anxiety. Your sore from the damn stent. It hurts like the devil. I know like I told you I had 2 one on top of the other. i felt like my chest and stomach and back were on fire.

I did get addicted to 2 different medications while going through the stents. Now I am only allowed Tylenol for the rest of my days... :(

Tell them not to float you when they take the stent out but to put you under. When they took mine out I woke up as they were pulling them out and I groaned. I heard swearing and then I did not see light for 7 hours after that. Night mare....lol

It only takes a second to remove it...Trust me!

Hopefully your leak will have healed by then. most of them do. Mine did not....But like I said most of them do.

I told you not to stick your fingers down your throat to gag...You could cause another stricture and they could end up doing the next surgery if you are not careful. I threw up constantly when the stents were in....They were always wiping my face with a cold towel and helping me a long the way. No one knows how uncomfortable this can be until they put it in your stomach.....

I was able to suck on ice and even bite it but could not swallow it. it helped with the dryness in my mouth. But I got used to not eating and when everything was finally over I had to spend time with my Nut to learn to chew again. It is amazing how fast your body forgets to do something that is natural for us....

Attitude is a big part of getting better. And you are going forward! Keep us posted..your journey is somewhat like mine so I understand the pain and frustration of all of it and more....

Chin up and remember one step at a time. One day at a time!!! K :)

ana hang in there. I don't have a stent as my Dr said it would not work for my case. I am loosing my stomach and spleen. As hard as it is we will make it through.

RJ what treatment are u receiving?

ana hang in there. I don't have a stent as my Dr said it would not work for my case. I am loosing my stomach and spleen. As hard as it is we will make it through.

My treatments are over. I am on the healing end of things now. After the stents they tried clamping my leak shut and could not do it so that was that. the last and final recommendation was to have my small intestine connected to my sleeve around the leak. it is still there to this day. It is a up side down y. The trouble I have now is due to the complications of the septic situation I had. I was put into a coma for 19 days which caused me to lose all muscle. Also while in a coma I got a category 5 bed sore on my tail bone and it has finally closed but not healed a year later.

Now I am well enough to be working with a trainer to rebuild my core and get stronger. It is time consuming but it has all been worth it for me....Like I said so many times... I was dead before and now I am a live!!!!!!! :)

Free spirit when you say your loosing your stomach what does that mean? 100 percent they are taking it out? I am so sorry you guys are going through this all. Sorry if it is a stupid question but how can you eat if there is no stomach? I have had a few complications but my heart just breaks for you guys. Like RJ said one day at a time and I will send positive vibes your way.

Drs are joining small intestine to oseophugus

my son's friend who is a doctor said that you can still eat without a stomach, but you have to eat little bits every few hours. is this true? when i went in for the emergency surgery the doctor said he might have to remove my stomach. he didn't, but he said it wouldn't be very bad if he did.

rj thank you for the advice. i'm so sorry that you had complications with the sepsis, and i hope you heal completely soon. i feel like this isn't going to work. this stenting, but i have also seen it work in so many other posts for other people. the stent doctor was very positive as he said my leak edges were 'raw' in a way that would heal. like they didn't form edges that were healed so they could still stick together if that makes sense. that's pretty incredible considering it's been six months since surgery!

it's hella hard not to gag myself. i have to admit yesterday i didn't, but today i did about 5x which is a huge improvement from the norm (i was gagging over 20x a day). i was able to drink the broth from wonton Soup and have some iced tea. drinking really helps with my strength. when i just rely on the j tube i feel dizzy and weak. drinking very cold or warm beverages has helped me feel so much better which gives me a much better attitude. my doctor said i was okay to drink. i do take a med that needs food taken with it so i usually nibble on a arrowroot cookie. i'm just taking the tylenol.

whether its taken out in 4 weeks or six. yes it hurts but i gotta do this. i cant just give up cuz i will only end up in the hospital again with more abcesses. those hurt and are awful. the drains suck.