Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to eat from Chinese reataurant?

My hubby really wants Chinese food for dinner. I usually order the same few things which I'm positive I can't eat now. I'm wondering if anyone has a "go to" pick at a Chinese restaurant or avoids it altogether? I was thinking chicken with broccoli or something like that. I am currently not filled at all yet if that makes a difference. If worse comes to worse I will just order egg drop Soup but hoping I can have something of more substance.

Why are you positive you can't eat them?

I'm over a yr out from surgery and have lost over 100 lbs and I can eat anything as long as I chew chew chew. I still eat all types of things but in much much smaller amounts. Now I do try to eat healthy and count calories. So sometimes I don't eat something cuz it's just not healthy or the calories aren't worth it but its never cuz I CAN'T eat it. Lapband restriction is about satiety not about inability to eat.

I know it's hard in the beginning. Just remember you are no longer on a diet. It's a life style change. Think of people you know that are thin. Do they never have To Go food or birthday cake? No, they just have it in moderation. And that's what the band does. Sends signals to the brain that you've eaten enough food and helps you eat in moderation.

Breathe and have fun with your husband. It's about time with him not the food.

Best wishes!

Why are you positive you can't eat them?

I'm over a yr out from surgery and have lost over 100 lbs and I can eat anything as long as I chew chew chew. I still eat all types of things but in much much smaller amounts. Now I do try to eat healthy and count calories. So sometimes I don't eat something cuz it's just not healthy or the calories aren't worth it but its never cuz I CAN'T eat it. Lapband restriction is about satiety not about inability to eat.

I know it's hard in the beginning. Just remember you are no longer on a diet. It's a life style change. Think of people you know that are thin. Do they never have To Go food or birthday cake? No, they just have it in moderation. And that's what the band does. Sends signals to the brain that you've eaten enough food and helps you eat in moderation.

Breathe and have fun with your husband. It's about time with him not the food.

Best wishes!

Thanks hon but I mean I "can't" eat it because of the fact that it's unhealthy.

I've had beef & broccoli, chicken egg foo yong, beef teriyaki and recently I had chicken lettuce wraps. The first two on mushies and the second two now that I'm released to all food! The beef & broccoli at our fav restaurant is super tender so it was very easy to eat.

Thanks hon but I mean I "can't" eat it because of the fact that it's unhealthy.

Ok. Just checking. I see posts about can't eating and I want to encourage newbies that they can eat most things.

Some bandsters say broccoli is hard to eat so maybe chicken with string Beans or chinese veggies like bean sprouts, Water chestnuts, bamboo shoots instead. Maybe these are easier to eat. From a 'healthy' perspective, you know this...stay away from fried stuff and alot of sauces. No matter what you eat, just know the sodium content is high so don't be surprised if the scale shows that. As Tara said, it's a lifestyle so anything in moderation won't trip you up. Enjoy!

We are very into Asian food at home and sometimes out. Yesterday we went to a local favorite place -- husband, son and me. I got a bento box with salmon teriyaki and requested no sauce. I had some Miso Soup while waiting for the food. The portion of salmon was perfect for me and I had a few bites of veggies. The other things in the box -- a few shumai and a California roll --went to my son. My family loves eating out with me now as they make out like bandits!

My hubby really wants Chinese food for dinner. I usually order the same few things which I'm positive I can't eat now. I'm wondering if anyone has a "go to" pick at a Chinese restaurant or avoids it altogether? I was thinking chicken with broccoli or something like that. I am currently not filled at all yet if that makes a difference. If worse comes to worse I will just order egg drop Soup but hoping I can have something of more substance.

I have Chinese food all the time. Usually shrimp and veggies with brown rice. I eat spare ribs too. Where I live they serve combo plates all day so I bring 1/2 home. I don't do soup but they say hot and sour is a good choice.

We are very into Asian food at home and sometimes out. Yesterday we went to a local favorite place -- husband, son and me. I got a bento box with salmon teriyaki and requested no sauce. I had some Miso Soup while waiting for the food. The portion of salmon was perfect for me and I had a few bites of veggies. The other things in the box -- a few shumai and a California roll --went to my son. My family loves eating out with me now as they make out like bandits!

In Keene at mill there was a super Chinese restaurant. Is it still there?

I've had Hot and Sour Soup at least one day a week since I left the pureed stage. It has a lot of Protein due to the egg, tofu and pork or chicken. The soup also has so much flavor and that's what I was looking for since some food is bland. My doctor doesn't want us eating rice for the first 2 months. The first time I tried rice I felt discomfort after eating. Rice just slides down and you can't really chew it. So, if you are only a few weeks out from surgery, I'd avoid cruciferous veggies, like broccoli, and rice.

Lol I'm Asian. Asian food is pretty much all I want to eat. And lots of Chinese food is healthy. Stir fry without heavy sauces is healthy. Home cooked Chinese is not smothered in sauce, so ask if they can use a little bit of oyster sauce or soy and keep it 'light'. I will have stir fries at least once a week and honestly, stir fries done right will have minimal sodium, lots of veg, Protein and very little fat.

Each individual is different..whether or not your band is doing anything, and whether or not you are counting calories and dieting.....

.I love Chinese food, get it all the time, or at least once a week....Thai and Vietnamese food also....

Bring it home, go through and pick out the things I can eat, throw the rest away...so I only eat about a 1/4 of what I purchased...

For starters, I cannot eat rice anymore, have not in about 3 years......nor do I eat meat....shrimp is tricky also....many vegetables are not band friendly for me either...

I also have a WOK and do my own stir-frys at home all the time....

Edited by B-52

I like moo shu pork, but I don't put the sweet sauce on it, and don't make the wrap. I just eat the shredded pork and veggies. And I eat only a fraction of it (compared to before surgery), and eat the rest over the next few days. Certainly, it's higher in fat than I normally eat at home, but based on the amount I consume, it's not an issue.....on occasion.

Wendy - most all Chinese restaurants will steam an order on request. In past diet times, I would get steamed chicken and veggies, and have a little cup of black bean or other type of sauce on the side. That way I was omitting all of the oil, and was able to control the amount of sauce. But I would always (and still do) stay away from the breaded and fried dishes, like orange chicken (which I love). If my husband orders something like that, I'll have a bite. But those dishes are calorically lethal, so I stay away from them all together.

Edited by mrsto

Veggie egg fu young. No gravy. Or sometimes crispy fried tofu with steamed broccoli.