Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just realized, 3 years ago today I was banded....and it was just as cold and snowy outside....

Nothing unusual, went through the same as everyone else...6 month diet ( which I failed at like any other diet), all the hoops I had to jump through, clearances from cardiologist, pulmonary, psych, etc, .

Went in for surgery at 7 am for prepping, wheeled in around 10am, home by 5 pm...became one with my lazy-boy recliner, a warm comforter and my pain meds for the next 24 hours....wife kept me supplied with broth and Water...(also had coffee...can't live without it)

One week after surgery, had my post-op appointment with surgeon...check incisions, few questions, released to go back to gym, etc...also returned to work after 1 week....

4 weeks after surgery went in for first fill....then had 2 more after that, all 4 weeks apart....have to say that this was the most difficult and hardest phase of this entire experience...the band was there, but not adjusted....I was as hungry as ever....I actually gained weight during this period...I was told I needed to count calories, measure portions, keep a journal, etc....all the same things I gave done over the last 30 years with every diet under the sun....I WAS FURIOUS! I did not need surgery, and all the prep work and anxiety, not to mention the $$..... Just to repeat what I tried and failed at for all those years...I thought surgery was going to be different....

Fortunately...my surgeon sat me down and explained the process, very thoroughly, and assured me that if this is what I really want, and willing to make the many small sacrifices and not retreat and back down, that it will work for me....

After 4 months and 3 good fills, it hit me like a storm....could not keep anything down, was getting stuck numerous times per day......called the Dr., he reminded me of our conversation and asked to hold out one more week....also made the point it was my old eating habits giving me the problems, not the band....he was right, I had to learn the hard way...

Fast forward.....4 months to hit the green zone...then another 2 months, at least, to learn the lessons, apply the rules, learn new habits, give up certain foods, in order to find that harmony.....my groove.

After that it just continued to get easier and easier.....and still is today.....I stopped counting calories and portion sizes, learned to live by the band...rely on it to set my portions-eating habits, and to relieve me of hunger and cravings.....food no longer interests me, and if am rarely hungry...

Today, three years later, I have learned there us a life after lap band.....a life where I don't have to remind myself what I need to do or not do....all those rules and hard lessons have become a part of me...the new me.....living a new life day to day....the new normal...

I have been at my goal at the 12 month mark, but living the new life my body simply continued to "level out" until it reached a normal body fat %..... We gradually went from normal to obese by living with bad habits, and we gradually return to normal by living everyday with new habits....

I go to the gym at least 5 days a week...even though I have lost the weight, it continues to "tone" the body and tighten any loose skin....

I have not gained, nor lost weight for almost 2 years now....I have no fear of ever gaining weight back, falling off the wagon, etc....only fear is medical complications and for that I perform certain maintenance routinely....

Absolutely the best thing I could have ever done for myself....reversed all my health problems, boosted my self confidence and social life....

Never had a single complication in 3 years with the band....I'm at the point where there is simply nothing left for me to do....

This thing does work!

Edited by B-52

Congrats on your continued success! It's really good to hear :-)

What a great three years..... I'm always happy to read your threads and responses. Glad you got your life back..... Your new and improved life!

HAPPY THIRD-VERSARY!

Great to hear some long term happy reports....looking forward to the day when I'm there too!

Thanks for always sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Congratulations on your struggle. You are voicing what so many of us new lap banders fear. Glad to hear that our eating pattern changes. I did my op in Johannesburg South Africa on the 16 January 2014. 2 weeks ago and I lost a total 8 kg. Yesterday for the first time I realised that if you don't follow the band rule you can put on weight. I had a sweet craving. Which made me worry so early in the game.

Happy I read your article.

Congrats B-52! That is awesome! You look so fit! Do you have any before pics? Keep up the good work!

congrat's. i always love your threads, and responses. i like your surgeon too!! ha. mine is like that too. you are a inspiration.

Congrats B, you are always so inspirational but blunt.. I am happy to hear a positive story . Everything you are saying is true, I have had to change my lifetime habits with food.. Eating too fast, eating too big of bites and drinking while eating will get you stuck and having the band will not prevent you from sitting down and eating a bunch of ice cream or chips.. I continue to check myself daily. I haven't quite got the gym thing yet but maybe one day I will get inspired to work out. Thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge.

Congrats B, keep up the good fight.

Happy bandiversary and a huge thank you for being such an active, sane and frank-talking participant on this platform. Add to to the long list of other grateful bandsters who rely on you for clear and honest posts. Here's to you and a long, healthy banded life!

happy bandiversary

Hi there and happy anniversary. You have helped me so much as I've been navigating through this new lifestyle. You are a wonderful human being -- love your frankness. Best wishes for continued rocking band success!

Congrats and thank you. Reading your post just like bandista has mentioned is extremely helpful to me in my journey as well...