Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?

• No one or Only my significant other
    • Limited number of people, closest friend/family members
    • Most of my Family & Friends know
    • Everyone & Their neighbor's Dog know

I wonder how many of us have kept this a secret from others and how that works. I am struggling between not telling anyone but my mom and husband, and telling everyone in hopes of perhaps helping someone who needs help or inspiration.

I've only told My Husband, Sister & best friend That I'm booked in... I won't be telling anyone else except my parents if I have to.. I'd rather not..

Just read your profile.. looks like we're in about the same time..I'm April 17 If I get approved :girl_hug:

Hi there! I've was banded in Oct 2005. Only my parents, brother, and a childhood friend (who is also banded) know.

While I've only managed to lose 60 lbs, it's been hard not to tell ... at work people often give me compliments and ask me how I've managed to lose the weight. I hate to be less than truthful, I just don't dispense with all the details!

In my heart I'd like to be a poster child for Lap Band, but decided I did not want to be judged for the slow weight loss or what I was eating that day.

I wish you the best in your journeys,

We another category. I've told friends and co-workers but not family. I have some really mean, nasty people in my family, so I'm not ever telling them about the lap-band.

Hi. I was banded on the 25th Feb. I haven't told anyone except my partner. I thought long and hard about this decision and decided that i didn't need the pressure of everyone thinking the band was a miracle cure and that the weight would fall off. I have had no problem keeping this a secret so far....

I told my DH and kids, my sisters but not my father, and one close friend. I have decided that when I am at my goal I would share the information as the situation warrents. I'm a private person and I know from past experience that if you share one little tid-bit of info, you get besieged by questions. I hate that!

I do love my band and as of this morning I have lost 40 lbs. 2/5ths of the way, yea!

Up until yeterday, I had told just my kids, my parents, and two of my best friends who live in other states and who don't know any of my other friends or family. However, yesterday I was talking to a cousin of mine who is a prime candidate for the band and she was at the point of frustration that I was at before I had my surgery. I had told everyone that I had hiatal hernia surgery (which was true -- they did have to fix a hiatal hernia while they were in there -- just not the whole truth) and I told her last night that, while that was, indeed, true -- that they fixed my hernia because I was having a lap band put in. I then told her about how different my life has become in the past five months (she and I are absolute twins when it comes to eating habits and issues) because of the band. I am not going to nag at her about it, but I did just want to plant the seed. I have decided that I will not broadcast it to the world, but if I have a friend or family member who could benefit from it, I will not keep it a secret from them. I just don't want the whole world to think they need to be the food police.

HI IM LIZ AND I LIVE IN THE UK AND I TOLD EVERY ONE, I DONT REALLY CARE IF OTHERS JUDGE ME IN A NEGITIVE WAY THATS JUST THERE IGNORANCE, MOSTLY IVE HAD POSITIVE FEEDBACK BUT ALOT OF UNBANDED PEOPLE DONT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT EVEN AFTER A EXPLAINATION, IVE ALSO HAD A LOT OF CRITICISM WHICH DOESNT BOTHER ME AT ALL OR THE IGNORANT COMMENTS I OFTEN GET FROM PEOPLE, IVE LEARNED TO SAY TO THESE PEOPLE THAT I DONT REALLY CARE WHAT U THINK OF ME I DID THIS FOR ME AND ONLY ME. IVE ALSO COME ACROSS ALOT OF NEGITIVITY AND JELLOUSY FROM PEOPLE (USUALLY FEAMALE) THAT WANT TO BE OUT RIGHT BITCHY WITH ME BUT NOTHING LIKE THAT BOTHERS ME EITHER, IM JUST HAPPY GO LUCKY AND IM NOT ASHAMED OR GOING TO HIDE WHAT IVE DONE. IVE HAD MY BAND AND IM PROUD TO HAVE IT, ANY WAY THANX FOR READING THATS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE !

I didnt tell very many people at first. Once I was down about 30-40 lbs so many people started asking what I was doing to lose weight that I started telling people.

I have told everyone who will sit still long enough to listen. Screw them if they want to judge what I choose to do with my body. The people who judge my band also made fun of me for being fat. There is no way to win with some folks!

I wish others would be more forthcoming with information but everyone has to make a choice for themselves. I want to tell people about the LapBand because it may offer a solution for someone in need. I only wish someone had told me about it sooner.

I would hate be a liar like Star Jones and tell people the weight just dropped off me!! Hey, I have a Lap Band! Do you want my doctor's number? Life is good!

I have told only my DH and my parents. And I sort of wish I hadn't told my mom. I'm a bit concerned she'll spread it around.

There are quite a few threads about this topic, but it makes a really interesting poll! Thanks for posting it. Here's a couple more really well-answered threads about this topic, too:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/secret-yes-no-t28060.html?t=28060

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/keeping-band-secret-t28793.html?t=28793

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/keeping-secret-excuse-t29885.html?t=29885

My surgery is Monday and I sent an email to all my friends and loved ones a few days ago.

Everyone has been 100% supportive - it's been great. :clap2:

It's been 17 months now for me and I regret telling as many people as I did. They were certainly people I was close to, but as time goes on and people drift apart I worry that their motivation to keep my secret might not be as strong as it was...

I kinda wish that I had told the world because I think a little more pressure would've been good for me. I'm just weird that way. I've lost almost 50 pounds, but it has come off slowly.

I have told my family, friends, co-workers. I made a decision to change save my life and I don't care who knows it. I have not heard any negative comments but I have inspired other people to take the same step to save their own lives. People will not always agree with us or support us...but what really matters is how we feel about what we do!!!! "

"To thine own self be true"

Casper2101

banded 08/26/06

Dr. Ponce, Dalton,GA

260/205