Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?

• No one or Only my significant other
    • Limited number of people, closest friend/family members
    • Most of my Family & Friends know
    • Everyone & Their neighbor's Dog know

Thanks! I tend to do that a lot...make up little ditties...I love to sing. Something is always triggering a song for me...it drives some of my friends nuts! :eek:

There are worse ways to drive people nuts....they should be grateful! =)

I tell anyone who asks or compliments me on my weight loss...anyone who has questions I am ready to support them should they decide to pursue the band.

My husband and parents apparently had difficulty keeping it quiet! I was angry at first but now, I really don't mind. Although it is strange when everyone watches me eat. LOL!

Hi,

I don't know, I just felt somewhat uncomfortable telling a whole lot of people. Then more pressure would be added if I struggled or didn't loose as fast as I or others thought I should. I was banded in March, & I've only had one fill (only 1cc)...I haven't lost very much weight, & I'm still hungry all the time. Hopefully, the next band will really begin to help me with control. I do exercise, however, some part of me still feels like a failure. I know I love food way too much...I'm very active...exercise...but it drips off of me. I feel my Dr. looks at me with judgement...all I know is I didn't spend thousands of dollars for nothing; if I thought I could have done this on my own, I would have. That is why I'm weighting for this hunger to be managed with a 2nd fill.

Hi,

I don't know, I just felt somewhat uncomfortable telling a whole lot of people. Then more pressure would be added if I struggled or didn't loose as fast as I or others thought I should. I was banded in March, & I've only had one fill (only 1cc)...I haven't lost very much weight, & I'm still hungry all the time. Hopefully, the next band will really begin to help me with control. I do exercise, however, some part of me still feels like a failure. I know I love food way too much...I'm very active...exercise...but it drips off of me. I feel my Dr. looks at me with judgement...all I know is I didn't spend thousands of dollars for nothing; if I thought I could have done this on my own, I would have. That is why I'm weighting for this hunger to be managed with a 2nd fill.

I agree 100% with you! I had surgery 4-9 and since - I have lost 10lbs. Those 10lbs were off in the first 2 weeks -- how frustrating -- and those that DO know I had surgery ask - how much have you lost now? It feels like a failure to say nothing more -- staying stable.

I paid ALOT of money - and really expected more results than this.

If you compare what I eat now - to a year ago --there is a big difference.

Yesterday was my birthday -- I had a goal of 275 -- that I felt was aboslutely a no brainer of reaching -- I missed it by 9 lbs.

Enough of my babbling!

Gina

I agree 100% with you! I had surgery 4-9 and since - I have lost 10lbs. Those 10lbs were off in the first 2 weeks -- how frustrating -- and those that DO know I had surgery ask - how much have you lost now? It feels like a failure to say nothing more -- staying stable.

I paid ALOT of money - and really expected more results than this.

If you compare what I eat now - to a year ago --there is a big difference.

Yesterday was my birthday -- I had a goal of 275 -- that I felt was aboslutely a no brainer of reaching -- I missed it by 9 lbs.

Enough of my babbling!

Gina

Gina,

Stay faithful!! You have to know that all your hard work and dedication will pay off. I am sure things will take a turn.

Nina

My concern about NOT telling people...if you have been a certain way for a LONG time and suddenly you start loosing dramatically, the first thing I would think of is that you were SICK, if there was no comment made about it. That can really freak out your friends and family. I also look at TELLING people like this....it helps hold MY feet to the fire! If you don't tell, and you fail, you get off scott free. If you tell and you fail, you're gonna feel REALLY bad....a little added incentive to get on the stick and follow through!!!

Also.... this is not the kind of topic you bring up in casual conversation. When you tell people what you've done, they are FASCINATED, ask questions, want to know more, and MANY times are, or have friends or loved ones who are, considering the procedure themselves!!! It's an educational thing.

I already regret telling most of the people I've told, lol. If I could go back and do it again, I wouldn't tell ANYONE!!

It's such a personal decision to make. I am a very private person, so it is hard for me to be open about this. I didn't tell my parents because I know they would worry, and it coincided when my dad ended up having open heart surgery (3 weeks before my scheduled lap band). So I didn't feel the need to burden them. I told my husband, two daughters (19 and 22), one sister and about 3 friends. Maybe eventually I will tell, I'm not sure. I certainly don't want to lie. I think I will start off by saying that I am "dieting" when people start to notice. That won't exactly be a lie. It will just remain to be seen I guess.

Cindy

I also look at TELLING people like this....it helps hold MY feet to the fire! If you don't tell, and you fail, you get off scott free. If you tell and you fail, you're gonna feel REALLY bad....a little added incentive to get on the stick and follow through!!!

I totally agree with the above. I told everyone I knew b/c I knew that I wouldn't be able to cheat and get away with not losing. To me, it is an incentive to keep losing, and it keeps me honest. I guess I am just that kinda person though, I need the encouragement and I need to hear how well I am doing to keep it up.

I told my Husband, Brother, Sister, Mother-in-Law (only 'cause she suggested it), and one friend.

I did not tell my Mom, Son (he's only 4), Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Friends, Co-workers, etc...

My Mother-in-Law told every one she saw:angry I finally had to politely tell her I'd appreciate it it she would allow me to choose who I told about MY band.

I chose not to tell certain people because I know the reaction would not be approving or supportive. I also chose not to tell certain groups of people because this is tough enough without being scrutinized all day long.

Bottom line is, it is your body and your decision. Tell people you know will be supportive. And always remember you can choose to tell them after-the-fact, but once you tell someone you can never un-tell them.

Good luck with your surgery and your decision.:gluck:

Getting banded in July and I have struggled with this question for the last few weeks. My very best friend in the world belives in everything natural and I am afraid of her trying to talk me out of it although i know she would support me in the end. I did tell my sister in law, she is a RN (also very close to) and things did not go so well. After that experience I have decided to tell only my husband and personal trainer that I have been working with. Maybe I will change my mind after but till now i do not want the negative opinions.

i've only told my mum and sister and won't be telling anyone else about it :guess