Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?

• No one or Only my significant other
    • Limited number of people, closest friend/family members
    • Most of my Family & Friends know
    • Everyone & Their neighbor's Dog know

I am so sorry that everyone can't shout this wonderful news from the rooftops! My family, friends, neighbors, AND the neighbors dog (LOL) all know, whether they wanted to or not! Not everyone agreed with the concept, to be sure, but most of that is through lack of education and I just don't even entertain their objections. My decision is an indiputable fact that I will not debate with anyone!

BUT! I'm as stubborn as THREE mules, so in this instance it came in handy!:)

I think every single one of you who are banded, getting banded, or thinking about getting banded are very brave...and in most all cases it is not a vain, selfish act at all, but a tool to create better health and better quality of life. And if your quality of life is better, it will spill into the lives of those around you such as your spouses and children, extended family and friends.

The band is a wonderful thing and ALL BANDSTERS *ROCK* !!!!:rockon: Congrats to all and no matter if only you or the whole world knows, you are wonderful folks!!!

Your upbeat message is exactly how I feel. In spite of the flipped port, the lack of fill nurses, the costs of travelling back and forth, I would not hesitate to have the band. The positives hugely outweigh the negatives.

Doddie

For me, only my husband, kids and 2 sisters know! And, I have sworn them to secrecy! I haven't even had the DR. consultation yet, still in the early process. But, still it's something I am not ready to share with the world! (just yet) That is why I just love this forum! It gives me the liberty to discuss the topic with all of you who obviously share some of my same thoughts. I'm happy with just the way it is now. Plus it's fun to go back to my spouse and share with him some of the things you all have to say

i didnt want to tell anyone but my husband. i told my mom about 1 month prior to surgery and then i told my immediate family the day i was released from the hospital. that would be about 6 people. i have not told any coworkers or close friends. it was just a very personal issue for me. sometimes i want to tell my close friends but then i remember that you can only tell on yourself. if you want something to be a secret/no on to know, then you cant tell anyone. its starts with you! i just dont feel like people need to know my business. i'm very private too so...

the weight is coming off and will be coming off slowly so when i'm asked if i'm losing weight(which is starting to happen) i just say yes and tell most of the truth, that i dont eat fast foods, sugar, soda and junk. enough said:)

Of course my hubby and 2 friends that I see maybe 2 times a year (simply cause we don't live in the same state anymore). I trust them both. No one else knows. Not my siblings, my parents or anyone from work, or friends that I see on a regular basis.

I've only told my parents, my boyfriend, and three other friends. I don't want to do battle with the "easy way out" comments. I think the other part of it is that everyone has watched me each time I've been on a diet and they've seen me lose weight and then gain weight, lose it, gain it, etc....I want this to work for me and by my own progress instead of being monitored by everyone else or hear them say that I'm just going to gain it back again.

I've told my hubby, kids, one sister and a friend, no one else needs to know. I may change my mind in the future, but for now, I don't want anyone to know.

I am just getting started in my journey and it will probably be awhile before I even get approved, not to mention banded, but I plan on only telling a few close people - my husband, my mom, my brother, my sister-in-law, and a close friend. I don't need nor do I want people watching everything I do, everything I eat, etc. My sister-in-law and my close friend are both overweight too and completely understand; in fact, my sister-in-law has started talking about it for her too, and my close friend is looking into it, so the support will be there.

I'm one of the ones who has told everyone and their dog...but I wish I hadn't told some members of my family. Other people are very kind and wish me well all the time, but three of my sisters, my niece, my mother, and my husband keep me under close scrutiny.

My sister, who owns the company I work for, stood in front of my office and declared, loudly, "How come you haven't bragged about any weightloss lately? I know---its because you probably haven't lost anything! You're probably not doing like you're supposed to!" I never got a word in edgewise! ...And one of my coworkers said she heard my sister "busting me out" about my weight! I was so embarrassed!:)

I went to a brunch with my mother and fixed my plate with way less food than usual and my mother looked over and declared "That little pouch sure can hold a lot of food!" I just laughed at this one because my mother has always said whatever comes up. :faint:

Whenever my hubby sees me eat what he feels is too much, he says "You're going to bust that band!" or "Oh, my God, you're taking too big a bite!" or "Please be careful eating so I don't have to call an ambulance!" or "Now that you have that band, I don't have to worry about my Snacks disappearing.":(

What am I going to do with them???;)

Val

DOB: 4/10/07 - UIC

207/190/99

Consult/Now/Goal

Not easy at all this journey with the band. I have my band for 2yrs. and 6mths.and still have a long way to go.

I think that unbanded people really have a hard time understanding it (they always come up with the «easy way out» crap...) so I rather not even discussing the matter with them, why bother? On the other way, the other very few people I told, they all know a story they saw on the news or read somewhere about this person that had the band and lost a ton just like that, in a couple of months... - of course this sort of thing makes me feel that maybe there's something wrong with me or I'm a failure because I'm loosing at such a slow pace... Oh brother!

when FUKITALL pills become available on the market, I guess i'll be buying lots of those.

niki

I am not yet banded but I know I will not tell any others than what know now. My DH, DD,DS, my mom, siter, and 2 very close best friends. One friend really thought that it was 'the easy way out.' We have talked and talked and I have explained it too her and she says she knows that I still have to work for the weight loss but I still have my days that I regret telling her. I think she feels threatened because her and I go out to lunch about 1 time a week and it just won't be the same. On the other hand, we both bought bikes and now we have been riding bike 3-4 times a week. She is also over weight and trying to lose.

The one people in the whole world I will NEVER tell is my in-laws. They are wonderful people but I always feel 'jugded' on some things with them and this I guarantee will be one thing that would be judged. My MIL tells everything to my hubbies sister and niece so they would no and then they would tell and blah blah blah so I am limiting myself to just that.

I have a daughter who is 15 (2 months from 16) who is also over weight. We all have those in our lives that are very blunt unfortunately. My daughter asked me the other night 'I will feel really bad if someone says why don't you do what your mother is doing' if I lose weight. I did reassure her that if it comes to that, I will be forth comming and tell them I have a lap band and also 'HOW FREAKEN RUDE TO SAY THAT TO SOMEONE!!'

Anyway just my tid bit of rambling.

Great job at weight loss everyone. Your doing wonderful!!:)

Hi: Will someone please tell me why every freakin person who does not have a weight problem think "we are taking the easy way out". How do they know the band is the "easy way". And for that matter what is wrong with taking "the easy way" if one can loose weight and keep it off. Isn't the object of the exercise to loose weight and regains ones health. Doddie

Obnoxious people will say obnoxious things....whether you have a band or not. I've had plenty of rude things said to me by "concerned" individuals.. example... "are you eating for two?" "you're going back for more?"... "you should cut down".. "should you be eating that?" ... etc etc... Mean people (or those who just don't understand) will make comments if we eat too much OR when we try to loose weight. It hurts and we never get used to it. The band is YOUR way of getting to YOUR goal ... eventually.. those comments will become compliments !!! Keep your head up, keep your goal in mind and pray for igorant people. :)