Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?

• No one or Only my significant other
    • Limited number of people, closest friend/family members
    • Most of my Family & Friends know
    • Everyone & Their neighbor's Dog know

It is not so bad. Just tell them you are on a special diet to kickstart weight loss. Considering that I was obese at the time, no one thought it was unusual that I would be on a special diet.

I agree with you Heather -- if anyone does notice ... and I know there are a couple who are bold enough to point it out, that is exactly what I intend to tell them ... I am always on some diet, so I doubt anyone will think anything about it ... and none of them are willing to go to any extremes to lose weight, so they would never do a liquid diet ... they just want to talk about losing weight; however, are not willing to do anything different to accomplish any weight loss. Down the road, if they ask and are seriously interested, then I may tell them the entire story. Until then, mums the word.

Hi Girl's,

I should hear next week when I am booked in for my surgery.

I have only told my mum, husband and best friend.

My BMI is 36 and many people would be shocked if they knew that I was having surgery. It is far less excepted here in the UK.

It makes me mad that if you want to give up smoking our government ploughs in loads of money to help, but when I went to my doctors he offered no support and just advised me to go to weight watchers.

I can't wait for my suregery :redface: and love reading everything about it. The more knowledge I am about it, the more prepared I will be.

Katy (London)

I told only Bussines partner. I took a trian to Amtrak station near mexican Border. Medical Van Pick me up went to hospital from there. 3 days later took train home. Wouldnt recomend ride home on a train a bit bumpy ouch.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Katy here from London, England here. When did you have your surgery and what has been your experience?

I did think about Mexico, but in the end I chose Brussels, Belgium as it was nearer and cheaper for me.

Told the nurse at my doctors this morning that I was having the surgery and she nearly fell off the chair in shock and tried to talk me out of it for about 15 minutes. It is such a tabboo subject over here in the UK and I really do think that U.S doctors sound less judgemental.

Although I am a pre-op my decision to have WLS has been shared openly with a couple of supportive co workers, my daughters, my sister and my husband (who disagrees with my decision..but thats another story)

I would like to tell my Aunt who is closer to me than my Mother but she is the source of all the family gossip and I definitely do not want my decision to be the topic of family conversation and opinion since I am really not that close with them anyway.

I have a couple of friends I want to tell, but since I do not see them on a regular basis, I would rather wait and "surprise" them.

One of the reasons I want to get lapband is the pace of losing weight is slower, so it wont be so drastic that someone will think I am sick. I also know the changing of my eating habits and the increase of my physical activity will easy explain weight loss without questions.

Since I have yet to get the surgery I guess I will have to "play it by ear" and cross the bridge of questions, when and if they come.

My husband, mom and the owner of curves that i go to know. The only reason the curves owners know is because i started there before i was 3 months after surgery and i had to write down what kind of surgery i had. they know it's NOT up for discussion and i don't want anyone else knowing. I'm actually going to ask that it be removed from my chart now that i am past 6 months out so when anyone else does my measurements they don't see it written in there.

I would have told my mom no matter what, but she had to help me with my 1 & 2 year old (they went to her house for a week).

other than that only medical people know.

I don't want to be judged, i don't want to be watched, i just don't want to hear what anyone thinks. i did this for ME. I am doing what i should be doing and i'm succeding at it. Had it NOT worked, had i NOT lost, or lost slow, i did NOT want to hear i could have done THAT on my own or whatever.

when people ask me how i'm losing i just tell them i eat healthy and exercise.

that is NOT a lie.

It is harder than you think not telling people. Only my husband and daughter know. So what do you think happend. My postman delivered my post op packet to a neighbor. And what was on the front of that packet.

s... Bariatric Center. Who ever got it did not ring the bell and there it was by the front door. I hope it was not a neighbor who talks too much. But, boy oh boy, you just can't keep anything quiet. You gotta laugh.

My thoughts..........of course my family and close friends know I was banded on Oct 15 2009. I did'nt share with others untill the surgery was over. My co-workers know from my friends @ work.There is a support to be gained by being open. I also believe for me their is comfort in being honest about mylife long issue,YES! I need help to overcome overeating/obesity! I refuse to allow ppl who don't like or care about me ,:thumbup:define me.

I don't wont anyone to know but I don't have a ride if I don't ask someone.I cant take a cab I live to far .I think its 40 miles from my home so that would be 80 miles .:tongue_smilie:

I don't wont anyone to know but I don't have a ride if I don't ask someone.I cant take a cab I live to far .I think its 40 miles from my home so that would be 80 miles .:tongue_smilie:

This is my first post. I haven't even attended my seminar yet and due to work obligations, the earliest I can be banded is May, but I have started discussing it with people. I'm not telling everyone, but I am building a good support base and am fortunate to have great friends and family that can voice concern (and disapproval) without being hurtful or hateful. I value their input, even if it isn't what I want to hear. :biggrin:

My family knows. My parent's neighbors know. My immediate co-workers at one job (4 people) know. Some co-workers at my other job know (about 5-6).

That's about it.

I didnt want to tell anyone about my surgery. That is only because I live half way across the world from most of my friends and family. I told a co worker at each school I work at in case I ran into problems with the surgery and also to translate to the payroll department not to charge me for lunches anymore as I was making my own lunches lol

anyone and everyone.

i am not ashamed of it. i was not ashamed of my weight. it is like when fat people wet wear shirts over their bathing suits at the beach... like someone who has seen me fully clothed is going to be surprised how i look in a bathing suit? come on. give me a break! so by the same token, people are going to be surprised that i made a drastic decision regarding my morbid obesity?

i take full responsibility and ownership of every decision i make.

the support is at times overwhelming and i NEED that.

choosing *me* is something to be proud of and by sharing it with people in that same positive light they have no choice but to root for me.

the more people come out of the wls closet (or any closet for that matter), the more accepting and knowledgable the general public will become.