Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How many people have you shared your lap-band experience with?

• No one or Only my significant other
    • Limited number of people, closest friend/family members
    • Most of my Family & Friends know
    • Everyone & Their neighbor's Dog know

My co-workers had to be told I work at the hospital. But with family that has been very critical I am not telling. Its like when you go out to eat or go home to visit and you eat different when your on a new diet, and they shrug and give a slim smile and wish you luck and then it fails and they asked what happened, Banded a week ago and dad and sis with my husband and in-laws know. I don;t want to loose just 10lbs this next month and everyone thinking that I didn't do right or that I've messed it up. And have to hear about it when they won't take the time to educate thereself. It was the best choice for me. I wish all good luck and lots of loving support.

love Shee:thumbup:

Is it possible to keep it a secret from everyone? I am a very private person when it comes to certain subjects. I love my friends and family but there are several subjects I do not discuss with anyone and weight related would be one of them. I have been tossing around the idea to get this done with out telling anyone(friends, family). I think I can handle myself post-op to get back to the hotel or back home(depending on how I feel).

I doubt they will let you have the sugery if you don't have someone to take you home and take care of you. In most cases you won't be cleared to drive for a week after surgery. You need to have some kind of support in your corner. So pick your best of friends or your mom or somebody like that to help you out and keep your secret.

Hi Chris4815, I totally understand how you feel about keeping it a secret. I was banded on the 16th Jan.o8. Luckily my children live interstate. My husband is the only one that knows. I went to a BBQ when on liquid stage and just sipped a cold drink. I said I had a funny stomach and no-one asked anything else. My son was visiting when I was on the mushy stage and I said I had a funny stomach, nothing more was said. I am going to visit all of my kids soon but don't think I will tell them yet. I have lost 17kilos in 17 weeks. I can eat any thing so I really don't think I need to tell any one. I'm working my backside off exercising so that's what I will tell any one that asks me what I am doing. If you had another op.that was personal done you wouldn't be obliged to tell every one, so I don't think you should feel bad for not telling people you have been banded until you are ready. Good luck on your journey with the band. Don't drive yourself back home or to a motel after your op. All the best.

saleel22

Edited by saleel22
spelling

Wow, I guess we have them in every family. I did have complications (band slipped). I had surgery Monday to clear it up. If my kids knew about this, they would just think I did it to myself. OMG, this second surgery was much worse than the first. I think the dr. wanted to make sure it doesn't do that again. With all that being said, they will NEVER know, so I don't have to be critisized for doing this.

I have not told a soul so far. It's possible. I even flew to Mexico for my surgery while my daughter looked after my house & pets for a week. I told her I was going for a vacation. So far so good. I didn't want to tell anyone either. You'll be fine. I was terrified but everything was fine. God luck with your journey.

I doubt they will let you have the sugery if you don't have someone to take you home and take care of you. In most cases you won't be cleared to drive for a week after surgery. You need to have some kind of support in your corner. So pick your best of friends or your mom or somebody like that to help you out and keep your secret.
Whats the story on the no driving thing? A week seems a little steep.

Of course you shouldn't drive after anesthetic but I'm sure you can drive as soon as it wears off like the next day or two. They made me get up and start walking an hour after surgery. I was only given Tylenol so maybe some people had stronger pain meds? I was fine to drive the next day.

I think it is a week. I remember after my gallbladder surgery, I wasn't supposed to drive for a week.

Before the band I only told a select number of people. After the band I tell everyone because I feel it is me, a new part of me and they are going to see changes of the way I do things so I have nothing to hide. I am not ashamed so I just did it.

My life tends to be an open book so I have told all of my family and most of my friends. The reaction so far has been very positive, especially from my Mom- she cried happy tears because I am finally accepting a tool to help me lose weight.

My husband has also been very supportive, he is very willing to change what we keep in the house, more accurately what we won't keep in the house.

:thumbup:Chris my doctor told me you could drive after a week, but maybe sooner as long as you felt comfortable and were not pulling or stressing in abdominal muscles...

As far as not telling anyone .. I am going to tell you it will be hard.. My husband felt the same way, but we talked about it and found it better to discuss it with those that are very close to us..My doctor requires that you have support buddy. Someone who will be with you the first 24 hours and most of the week following. If you choose not to tell anyone people will ask you questions about why you are only eating a cup of food at a time and why you are avoiding so many things you used to love.. wouldn't it be nice for people to support you in your decisions and not try to shove food in your face when you don't want it or to stare at you funny for avoiding that one food you used to love... I am just saying I would really REALLY think about it and consider telling at least one person so you have a support buddy and then work your way into telling people you are close to as you feel more and more comfortable with the new you :)

THis is an amazing journey and a very important phase of your life and you should be happy to share with with the ones you love and trust.. anyways.. I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST.....:redface:

I was released to drive after 24 hours. I only had Advil for pain so they said I could drive the next day. I also told noone except my husband about my band. I have 3 teenagers and they don't even know. It did require some sucking it up and acting completely normal on my part though.

I've only told my friend who has the band, I've asked another person about it and did say I was considering it but that's as far as it got. I said to my mum I was thinking about it.

Now, I have thought about it and have booked everything and the only person who knows for sure is the friend who had the band.

I've not even told the cat so things are going to look grim when there is no take away chicken extras for her. Damn, that animal scares me. :smile2:

I've not even told the cat so things are going to look grim when there is no take away chicken extras for her. Damn, that animal scares me. :thumbup:

Hey 7 months later, my cats still circle the dining room table expectantly...they just cannot be reasoned with!

Edited by tapshoes
typo