Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting Liquid diet soon, please help

Feb 26 is my lap band surgery date. I need to start the liquid diet 2 weeks beforehand with a 20 pound goal loss.

Please let me know what shakes and liquids you recommend for this stage.

I am thinking of sampling some beforehand so I can be really prepared.

Thanks everyone.

Keep in mind that what you like preband you may not like post band. I use EAS carb control premixed. I would not buy a lot of Protein powders or liquids until after you are banded. I made that mistake and threw away a mighty expensive bunch of Protein powders afterwards.

My surgeon provided a Protein shake but it was heavy on dairy and I knew that wouldn't work for me over a two-week period, plus it had a lot of chemicals in it. I ended up getting a couple different pea Protein powders from Vitamin Shoppe (permission of doctor/nutritionist). Then the second week I went wild and got a couple more. Like Cheryl, after I was banded I didn't want these shakes. I am just now using up some from last October. Lately I'm really into fruit smoothies. I make a Protein Shake and toss in frozen fruit, flax seeds, etc. Delicious!

The first couple of days of the pre-op liquid diet can be tough but it gets easier all of the sudden. The hunger diminishes and it feels good to detox. Sometimes things come up once food is not available to tamp down emotions and the timing of this is interesting because of course we are all a little jittery before going for surgery. I found journalling to be really helpful during this time. I was also really glad I forced myself to up the exercise. This gave me something to step into post-surgery when the walking is really helpful. Good luck to you -- let us know how you're doing!

Good luck with your new journey. I love the band.

For shakes I use only chocolate. I buy Body Fortress at Walmart it is under $18. In MA there is a food store where it is less than that.

I have a small Hamilton Beach blender that is also the drinking cup.

I use 8 oz almond milk, unsweetened, 1 scoop Protein, about 1 teaspoon of Decaf instant coffee and about 1 teaspoon peppermint extract and then tons of ice. The shakes are as thick as McDonald's or Wendy's. I love them and have one every morning for Breakfast because I don't eat Breakfast foods.

I started an early pre-op diet one week ahead, just to get used to the idea. Drank Atkins Protein Meal Replacements shakes for breakfast and lunch, then a light dinner. This was a big help. When you get hungry--drink more Water. You won't have time to eat, you will be busy running to the bathroom. Seriously, as the fat starts to break down, it is disposed of through the organs and then into the bladder and the Water helps flush it out. My surgeon then put me on their recommended Protein drinks for the last 2 weeks(2 more days of pre-op for me).

Good luck to you.

My nutrisionist recomended me Unjury shakes , I like them not to sweet and mixed with fruits , the only issue is you have to purchase them online but you received you order in two days , I keep using unjury I am 2 and a half months post op, good luck in you surgery I wish you a speed recovery!

I like the same Protein powder now, post op that I used pre op. I still mix it with unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze. Still tastes the same, to me. :D