Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalling out post-op

Haven't posted in awhile, but I am not finding anything really on GOOGLE to address the issues I am having.

My one year post-op coverage ended last March (had surgery 3/29/12 - goal is 60lbs).

The first year out I did pretty well, and the second year was weight wise a bust for me. I seemed to have lost/gain the same 5lbs all year...first year I had a net loss of over 34lbs...second year only 14lbs.

Now here's the thing..I'm not necessarily concerned about my number weight because I workout alot, and it's pretty intense. I lost inches for sure and have put on muscle..continue to do so at this point. But the scale hasn't budged past 209...I was 258 when I started the journey. My goal for surgery to be a success is 198...so being THAT close and it hasn't happened yet is frustrating me. This will be my third year, 2nd year post op, and I am considering having the Fluid removed from my band if I get a decent tax return, just to see if that would help me get the net calories I need, which is about 1700 for my activity level.

I'm on the fence about it..I was hypothryoid, and didn't actually have a eating issue. But because I am so active at this point, I don't take in enough calories, so my weight isn't moving. I can easily burn and exceed my daily intake in one workout session. So I need to eat more, but with my band being filled I am having issues with it. I have had some increase in vomitting the last few months, but my band hasn't been increased in almost a year. So it's hit or miss.

I am also wondering if my thyroid is reverting back to being hypo. When my panels were checked last year, I read normal, but I wonder if that might be causing issues too.

So I guess my question is for those that are pretty active...did you have to do anything with your band to be able to get more good calories in? I eat every 3-4 hours, and I don't eat crappy foods the majority of the time. My liquid consists of 95% Water, and I make an effort to drink enough. I feel really stuck. I went from the "fat person" to the "fit person" and I really feel like at this point I should be at least in the 190s! LOL

Any input would be appreciated, thank you :)

Manda

If I understand you correctly, your weight loss has been very slow over the last 2 years, and then stalled out altogether, and you feel you need to eat more to loose more weight, to the point you will have Fluid taken out of your band, so you can eat more, to achieve your weight loss...

I know what you mean about stalling...I have been within the same 5 lb range for 2 years now....I had/have developed a new lifestyle, new habits with eating differently....something I will carry on with for the rest of my life....with that new lifestyle, my body steadily lost weight - FAT, until there was nothing left to loose, in the way of excess body fat...and I have now leveled out at a good place...cannot loose, or gain any more, other that that normal daily fluctuation always within the same 5 lbs...

But back to your question.....I am very active...run 5 miles a day, plus weights, etc....I did so to burn calories (and to get healthy)...to use my stored fat as my energy source...I always exercised on a empty stomach, very first thing in the morning....(google it)...and was very careful so as not to replace what I just managed to burn off...so only a low cal high Protein "Recovery" shake..

I'm one of those "Old School" people who believe I have to burn more calories per day than I consume per day in order for the body to be forced to use my fat stores for energy...

If I were to eat more, then I would need to exercise more to compensate....thus the old school expression..."I'm need to take a walk to work off that very nice meal"

This is VERY UNSCIENTIFIC, but I used to watch movies where they show Prisoners of War, just skin and bones, and very sickly...and I would wonder what they would look like if their captors gave them all the daily Protein and Water they needed???

Edited by B-52

I don't know, but seems like 1700 calories is a lot of calories to burn in a day for a woman. I understand you are very active, and if so, maybe you are burning a lot of calories. Have you spoken with a nutritionist or your trainer about this problem? Google is not always the answer to everything! best wishes, Karen..aka.kll724

Now here's the thing.. My goal for surgery to be a success is 198...

But because I am so active at this point, I don't take in enough calories, so my weight isn't moving. I can easily burn and exceed my daily intake in one workout session. So I need to eat more,

So I guess my question is for those that are pretty active...did you have to do anything with your band to be able to get more good calories in?

Any input would be appreciated, thank you :)

Manda

You say "your goal" is 198.

You said, because you're so active you don't take in enough calories, and you think thats why your weight isn't moving......and you need to eat MORE.

I'm gonna ask, why do you think you need to eat more?

For me, I've never had a doctor, nutritionist, or anyone ( other than maybe listening to some talk on here ) tell me I need to eat more calories. Quite the opposite.

For my weight loss, eating LESS calories always caused me to lose more fat....

And I get in a fair amount of exercise as well most of the time.

I'm also one of those who believe that if you burn more than you consume you should be losing fat. Are you tracking your calories/day. Many people count every bite that goes in their mouth and know within a few calories how much they consume?

And Karen's suggestion that you sit down with a nutritionist is spot on. I did so about 2 years ago and she nailed down about 300 calories I wasn't counting. Eliminating those bad calories made a huge difference for me.

tmf

Thanks everyone!

Most days I may take in 1000-1500 calories, and I workout 5 days a week. Those workouts usually burn 1000+....so my net is too low for my body to recover. 1700 seems high but there were a couple times I did hit it and I lost weight. One of my problems is I need to eat more & but right now I am limited on funds to buy what I need to hit 1700. I've been having issues lately keeping food down...seems like I get food stuck easily lately.

If my calorie net is too low or negative my body reacts by storing :/ I am still losing fat but it is frustrating. Can't net enough because I don't eat enough lol

Did any of you have any underlying medical issues like with your thyroid by chance? That was the only reason I qualified for surgery because I was hypo & my surgery goal was only 60lbs. My body likes to horde anyway cause of the hypo part.

I'll have to wait and see how my tax return looks to see if I can make an appointment with the doctor I went too. I did selfpay so it costs $200+ for a visit and I don't have that to go to it.

Yes I would talk to the nutritionist... it seems quite depressing to hear that you guys are stuck at a certain weight for such a long period of time with the band!? I realize that this process will not necessarily happen over night and it takes hard work and effort for the band to work properly. But I cannot imagine that if you are following the diet/calorie intake and working out that much and seeing no result in years? There must be something missing here...

I agree with the suggestion about seeing a nutritionist. Perhaps the calories you're taking in aren't quite the right kind for you. I do notice that for me, the scale moves lower if I eat more...but only if it's good calories (Proteins with a very few whole wheat carbs). Keep track of your foods religiously for a couple weeks before you see the nutritionist so s/he can pinpoint where things could change. I love the app Lose It, but others prefer My Fitness Pal.

Good luck!! you'll get there!!

ETA: PS I am hypo too and so far my meds haven't changed since having the lap band. Are you taking them in the morning on an empty stomach (no meals for 30min to an hr)? For the first year of taking Levothyroxine, I didn't know that you had to do that. I take it right when I wake up before my shower and morning routine.

Edited by PuraVida37

PPS No Iron or Vitamins with your meds either!

I would suggest having a candid discussion with your Doctor about what your goal weight should actually be. Sometimes we get too focused on BMI which really is an outdated statistical model. New research is showing things like waist size and measurement ratios are better indicators of actual heart risk and associated co-morbidities.

You may be closer to your "ideal" weight than you think considering the metrics you've posted about your weight loss.

Maybe you need to eat less calories. I don't think taking in more would make you lose. If you want to lose you must have a calorie deficit of 3500 a week to lose 1lb. Try eating 800 calories you will not starve. The less calories you eat the more you will lose no matter how much you work out.

Thanks everyone!

Most days I may take in 1000-1500 calories, and I workout 5 days a week. Those workouts usually burn 1000+....so my net is too low for my body to recover. 1700 seems high but there were a couple times I did hit it and I lost weight. One of my problems is I need to eat more & but right now I am limited on funds to buy what I need to hit 1700. I've been having issues lately keeping food down...seems like I get food stuck easily lately.

If my calorie net is too low or negative my body reacts by storing :/ I am still losing fat but it is frustrating. Can't net enough because I don't eat enough lol

Did any of you have any underlying medical issues like with your thyroid by chance? That was the only reason I qualified for surgery because I was hypo & my surgery goal was only 60lbs. My body likes to horde anyway cause of the hypo part.

I'll have to wait and see how my tax return looks to see if I can make an appointment with the doctor I went too. I did selfpay so it costs $200+ for a visit and I don't have that to go to it.

What are you doing to burn `1000 calories?

Also, I believe your body will store fat, as you say, but only initially...kind of like "Circling the wagons" as a defense......then it will cave and realize it needs to "give it up to survive".......but then, that's my opinion and I am not a NUT...

I would also revisit the thyroid levels. If you've taken synthroid or levothyroxine for any length of time your thyroid would atrophy and become pretty useless. Not sure it would recover to allow you to not need it medication. I know I will be on it for the rest of my life.

Ps don't necessarily believe how many calories the machines tell you you've used. I've found tat to be totally innacurate

I keep away from most carbs. Definitely proactive in getting mt Protein in (love turkey dishes! lol)

I did run out of my meds for hypo but at the time I was overdosed. I did gey a full panel done last year and my levels came back normal. I have been taking kelp since. Aside from slow # weightloss...taking my Vitamins and minerals keeps me straight. But I am not sure if it may be reverting back to hypo.

I use myfitnesspal as a tracker. It reminds me alot my caloric intake ia too low lol

post-130254-0-61213900-1390160613_thumb.png

post-130254-0-93212700-1390160645_thumb.png