Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Please... So hungry I am sick...

I am 4 days post op and am only allowed Clear Liquids until day 7. I am doing Water, juice, chicken broth, Isopure Protein Drinks. But my stomach hurts so bad with hunger pains I feel like I am going to vomit.... Anyone had this issue or anyone drinking Protein Shakes this early in the game??

On day four I scrambled an egg really soft and ate it without any difficulty. I was also starving. I was banded 21/2 weeks ago no problems so far other than the feeling that nothing was done. I get my first fill Friday. Both of my other friends also puréed cream Soups and ate them.

Thanks guys.. I have been drinking Isopure which is a clear liquid drink with Protein. Not near as filling as a shake. I am going to have a Protein Shake now because I need a little substance. Thanks for you replies!!

On day four I scrambled an egg really soft and ate it without any difficulty. I was also starving. I was banded 21/2 weeks ago no problems so far other than the feeling that nothing was done. I get my first fill Friday. Both of my other friends also puréed cream Soups and ate them.

Not recommended. Some may get away with this but if Jenny's stomach is swollen, eggs can cause a stuck episode and could damage the sutures holding the band in place by causing the pouch to dilate. It's a roll of the dice and I'd advise against it.

As you progress through this journey, you will find that eggs, even scrambled eggs, are one of the most difficult foods for many of us to consume.

Edited by 2muchfun

My doctor told me to have Protein the second day. I got sick from my shakes so I was eating pureed food by the fourth day. I never had any issues with doing things a little sooner.

If you're that hungry, I would call and talk to your surgeon to see if you can get the OK to start the next stage a bit sooner. I know it's tough, but I don't recommend adding foods (especially this soon out of surgery) without speaking to the dr about it.

Remember, this misery doesn't last forever. Just hang in there! You've got this!

Follow your doctor's orders, please! Try having hot and sour Soup, without the veggies and meat, also, I had wonton Soup broth. I don't think anyone has died in 1 or two weeks of clear liquids. Please don't offer your solutions for others! Thank you. Karen..aka..kll724

Yeah definitely get your docs ok on progressing anything too soon.

I had a lot of cream of whatever Soups to keep me full, ton of broth which didn't last long, Protein Shakes and I was allowed thin runny grits. Every day seems to last forever when you're that hungry and can't eat, but it'll be behind you before you know it. eggs weren't allowed till phase 2 for me.

Above all call and follow your doctors advise. Maybe he'll give the green light to progress a bit faster, but you definitely don't want to get sick and rip your new sutures so soon. Not saying that will happen but I don't think it's worth the risk.

Although it is helpful to get advice from this forum, I would definitely NEVER EVER go against the advice of your doctor (unless your doctor is a complete bonehead and then you need to change doctors).

No one on here knows your exact situation, we do not know the details of your surgery or any complications etc. PLEASE PLEASE never take advice on here that is a direct contradiction from what your doctor said. But by all means if you are getting advice that is different, call the doctor and ask if it is OK to modify his/her instructions.

Hi Jenny,

Please call your Doctor and let her/him know exactly what is going on so they can direct you. I agree with the others that progressing your diet without their consult can be dangerous to your healing and overall band health. I like yourself had to do 7 days of clear liquid and broth and it was hard...very hard but you need to push through it. This is part of the process and it is important you give your belly sometime to heal.

Good Luck, Jim

If you are feeling sick it may be that the Protein doesn't agree with you. Your doctor may have some alternatives in mind. I enjoyed potato leek Soup -- a dairy free and organic brand called Pacific that we found in the regular grocery store. And I liked the salty broth, too -- Tamari in chicken broth, etc.

As your hunger appears see if there are other things coming up. This may be a way for you to identify some of your emotional eating triggers, the ways we have all used food inappropriately in the past. I was using food to quell anxiety so now when I experience hunger I try to ask myself what is really going on.

Call the doctor up this morning -- that's what they are there for! Let them know how you're doing and ask for suggestions. Best wishes for a great day!

Hang in there, this is the beginning of the toughest part of this entire process....we all had to get through it....break through to the other side....and eventually, it starts to get easier and and easier.....eventually.....

I did not have this surgery to suffer....I could have done that without surgery.

Edited by B-52