Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is going to require a lot of honesty from everyone, but I am wondering if I am the only one struggling to eat. I had my surgery June 14, 2013. I am losing weight at a nice and steady pace and I think my restriction is probably just right, but I still haven't figured out how or what to eat. Of course the things that are not great (chocolate, ice cream) seem to go down, but I find myself craving Protein and veggies. I have been taking Vitamins and sipping warm tea in the morning which is helping, but I could really use some additional suggestions and tips. My doctor reminds me constantly eat slower and I even use the 30 second time, but I find myself spitting up more often than not. Not to worry, we checked my band and everything is good, but it's just so annoying that I can't seem to get the hang of "eating like a lap bander".

You are probably not eating the right way. What are you eating first of all? How long does it take you to eat? I don't eat meat anymore because it just doesn't work with me but there are many other things out there that have Protein in them that are healthy for you. You have to take small bites, put the fork down in between them and chew it and make sure it goes down before taking the next bite. This might be hard to do at first but you have to practice or you will spend all your time in the bathroom.

Thanks for the above comments...I wish I could say I did not follow the above advice, but I definitely put the fork down between bites and I cut my food into toddler bites. I don't each much meat either, mostly because I have kidney problems, so I prefer non-animal Proteins - lots of nuts and Beans - all chewed well. I eat Soup and chili - that all works well for me. Sometimes I can take Farina or scrambled eggs. I don't think I can drink another Protein shake, I had enough of that pre and post surgery and am still traumatized by those yummy chocolate shakes! I would love to start eating fish and Market Day chicken breasts (they are very moist), but every time I try it does not go well (I found a website that actually sells vomit bags - the kind you find on airplanes - and it comes in handy since I travel a lot). Anything I eat though, I can only eat 2 or 3 bites max.

Try having a sauce with whatever you eat. Try ranch with chicken or a-1 with a filet. I found it helps keep the moisture as I eat.

Right now I have a bratwurst with mustard, for example.

Well, I can't offer you any advice, as I am floatin' in the same boat you are, but I can tell you, this is what gets very convoluted for me as well. I think it stuck in my head and lodged there stubbornly when my surgeon told our pre-op group that eating with the band should not require a great deal of effort, as in dieting...that it's not something we should be obsessing over, counting calories and what not, just stick to the rules and come see him when it's not working. Well, that strategy over the last 9 mos. has not worked for me. I have always been able to eat more...and have. I saw him so much the first 6 mos., I'm sure he thought I was stalking him! I have had approx. 6 fills, the last w/fluoro, and I have been at a total standstill, not gaining, not losing, just up & down with the same 5 lbs. over & over again...it's like Groundhog Day...so, if the band is fine, and I am making no progress, then I absolutely have to do what I thought I wouldn't need to do: put the dreaded "structure" into my meal planning...oh yeah, I guess I have to "meal plan" too! Amazing concept! I had this epiphany approx. 4 days ago, and am still kind of clueless as to the best approach: Proteins, and calories, and carbs, oh my! What to count? So, I am there with you! Much to my chagrin and rebellious nature, I started a food journal to help keep me "honest"--to stare down the enemy: the Pasta, bread, and sweets tempting me with their carbo-liciousness. I was living in a fantasyland the last 9 mos. and ignored how difficult a process this actually would be...it took this site to wake me up and motivate me to start the process of "total honesty." So, you are not alone...I may not have any answers for you, but at least know there are others struggling with the same issues you are ; )

Honesty comes easy here. We're all anonymous so why beat around the bush? If you love meat/proteins, and can't get them down, you're probably a little too tight. Or, you don't eat small and chew big? Only you can know this? A very small unfill(.25 or less) can make all the difference in allowing some of those troublesome foods to go down. Jenn is right. I too coat some foods with a sauce. ketchup, hollandaise sauce(lowfat), salsa, gravy can all be low fat/cal. One more suggestion? Try sipping Water between meals. Wait about 30 seconds after you bite and chew and let the Water keep the pouch moist. Don't use it to wash the food down, use it to grease the wheels.

I eat everything in moderation. Of course, I fell off the wagon over the Holidays but I never really sweat it because it will all(7lbs) come off this month. I eat a lot of Salmon. Just baked. I eat salads, vegetables, chicken, tenderloin steak(the only kind that goes down and it's lower fat but expensive), low fat burgers, turkey sausage, eggs, deli turkey slices and some Soups.

I steer clear of pizza, Pasta, most breads(I allow flatbreads), high glycemic fruits, potatoes, tacos, enchiladas. I can eat all that stuff and I treat myself occasionally to the naughty list, but I try to eat healthy, nutritious foods.

Some doctors insist you adhere strictly to their diet protocol, but let's be honest. We're not all the same are we. So mix it up and make it work.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

Yes the sad but true fact is that we have to watch what we are putting into our mouths. Not only so that we don't choke on it or get stuck from it but so that we keep losing weight and stay nourished.

I didn't choose to have other WLS because I didn't like the malnutrition component to them. I already have mild Crones that causes some malnutrition already. Due to that I have always had to watch what I am eating, and most times found that eating the easy to digest sweet carbo-loaded items was the easiest and less painful.

Since surgery though my digestion is so much better, but now I am watching what I eat for band, weight loss and nutrition reasons. I don't "diet" if I want to have a cookie I do, but maybe one or two if they are small and not the whole container (thank you band!)

It has taken me more then a few months of no losses to get it into my head that I need to have a plan for eating. I suddenly find myself cooking more, bringing my own lunch to work and getting in some exercise. It's taken me a bit...but I'm working my mind around it all finally.

Simply put: just about everything. If I'm not scared it's going to get stuck...it's dinner.

I am new to this -- just two months out -- but so far I am able to enjoy the foods I love to cook. chicken thighs done French style (sauteed then covered in broth, add lots of veggies and slowly simmer until the liquid thickens) make a nice meal that can be varied a lot by using different veggies, beef stew, chili of all kind but especially turkey and black bean chili. Salmon and other fish, baked. We eat a lot of veggies -- I don't go wild with the potatoes because I will run out of room too fast. oatmeal with maple Syrup and a little butter, homemade applesauce, Greek yogurt for comfort foods. Nuts, like four almonds chewed very, very well. I don't eat bread or regular Pasta but have had a little gluten-free once in a while with no problems. I have a big pot of black bean Soup on the stove right now. No chips or ice cream for me. I have had cheese but think that may be a slider food for me so I think it's best I don't have that temptation right now. I was able to enjoy the holidays having a little of everything -- we had leg of lamb, potatoes and peas for our Christmas dinner with gluten-free apple pie and whipped cream for dessert. Had to work at having just a wee bit of everything so I could have that wee slice of pie. My goal is to be able to eat all the foods I enjoy, just in very small amounts. I was never a junk food eater -- I love real food, it's just that I ate way too much of it -- so I don't feel deprived at all. Trying not to exclude anything except that I found alcohol too readily available -- wine, etc. Thanksgiving through New Years got in my way and I am going to exclude that now to see how I do without all those empty calories.

Spitting up is not okay. I would be back at the doctors office pronto to have a small adjustment to be comfortable. Good luck as you sort out what works best for you. I love reading every one's posts to get new ideas, etc. Prior to being banded I worried that I wouldn't be able to get what I needed, etc., but I can see that this is not true. The good foods are very available, even if I have to run into a grocery store to pick up a yogurt or stop at a deli for a scoop of tuna. Oh, I forgot to add smoked salmon. I am loving smoked salmon and figure that is a good food for me for whatever reason. I don't have much but sure enjoy my little bites.

I am almost 1 year post op.. I eat pretty much what I want.. smaller amounts and try to stay away from Pasta, potatoes and bread.. typical daily menu: Breakfast, 2 turkey sausage links, 1/2 cup eggbeaters (southwestern) sometimes a little cheddar cheese..1 piece of sara lee 45 calories all grain toast...lunch is usually chili, chicken salad or Soup with wheat thins, sometimes applesauce or fruit if I have room.. dinner varies from meatballs, chicken thighs, salmon, or fish.. veggies .. I sometimes have a snack like a fat free pudding or sugar free yogurt bar (frozen).. I try to stay around 1100 to 1200 calories per day.. I track what I eat on my fitness pal.. for now it works.. I am never what i call hungry.. I drink 6 bottles of Water a day most of the time.. sometimes more.. I have had issues with chicken breast if I don't use a sauce or gravy.. it's just too dry.. I can eat steak if it's very tender and moist.. sometimes I splurge and if we eat out I get something different.. tonight we ate at Olive Garden I had 1/2 portion of eggplant parmesan.. I have the rest for lunch tomorrow.. did not eat the spaghetti.. had a little portion of salad.. no breadsticks.. I am very satisifed...it's way easier than being on some crazy diet. .. hope you find your way to healthy eating..

I get my first fill in 5 days. I'm terrified.

nothing to be terrified about.. I was a little scared at the first fill but it's really no big deal.. my Surgeon numbs my port area, injects some saline , gives me some Water to drink and if it goes down easily he is done... He is however very conservative, I have had 2 fills since my surgery Last January.. both were small .. I think I only have 1.5 cc's in my band..

I had my surgery june 18 2013. I eat anything I want in moderation. I make sure I have plenty of Protein each day. A typical day for me is Breakfast- egg beaters, cheesestick, yogurt. Lunch- turkey on a flat bread. Snack- Quest Protein Bar. Dinner- chicken with veggies. I eat the same things almost daily, but that works for me. The proetin bars curb hunger in between meals and taste like a candy bar to me.

Now dont get me wrong if I have a craving for something sweet or its one of my kids birthdays I will have a piece, just a small piece to curb that craving. Its diffrent now because I can control my eating habits thanks to my band.