Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret this surgery?

I really appreciate this conversation. Before my surgery, I talked with many people who were at different stages in their journey, but none just post-op. While everyone told me the first month is difficult and I may even feel some regret, they all focused on how wonderful it is now for them. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this site. It was given to me pre-op, but I wanted to talk with someone live to ask questions. I can't say what I'm experiencing is regret, today I'd do it all over again. I'm 12 days out, had no complications. Did have a hernia fixed and have spasms, but nothing that can't be controlled. I am just sad and grieving my previous relationship with food and the liquid phase is tough. Thanks for keeping the long range view for us newbies. It really help to know things will get better.

I had my surgery on December 17th so I am 12 days post op. I had an unexpected hiatal hernia repair with my sleeve surgery which I believe is where 90 percent of my pain has come from. My surgeon also left my drain tube in which is the biggest complaint about this whole surgery. I don't have any regrets about the surgery at all. I know that eventually I will get solid food but I also know that I have to learn to make better choices for my health's sake. I cannot go back to eating the greasy patty melts and bowels of fat and calorie rich ice cream. I am spending my time looking for healthier options to cook for me and my family once I am able to transition into soft/solid foods. The surgical recovery phase is the hardest thing but the benefits will far outweigh the pain and puréed foods in the long run.

I think not feeling regret would actually be odd. Most people that are morbidly obese love food. (I'm speaking about myself). I had my surgery and I have absolutely felt sorry for myself. Reading pre-op and post-op discussions is just that. Reading. Experiencing can be a totally different thing. I DO NOT regret having this surgery done, but have I had feelings of regret, yes. This is a life changing surgery. Period. Being on liquid diet during the holiday is very tough, especially for people that LOVE food. I think 98% of this experience is mental. It's in our heads. We just all need to try to remain positive and try our best to stick to our doctor's orders and change our mentality about food. Every single person that elected to have this surgery was UNHAPPY about their bodies. I just hope in one year I can look at my body and be HEALTHY and HAPPY. It's all be worth it, every sad and regretful feeling will have been worth it!

Mistysj - in answer to your question, I think I missed out/wasn't paying attention when hearing about the hormones going crazy and moods being so extreme immediately after surgery. That was my biggest surprise - I didn't expect to be crying like a baby, so when I did, I was worried if there was something wrong. I had no real pain, just discomfort, so that wasn't the reason for tears, but I had a few days' trouble pulling it together. Thanks to posters on here, I learned this was normal, so I waited it out. Just as they said, it was much better the next week.

-- I feel exactly as you do 17 days out I'm beyond weak and it hurts my chest to drink anything I had hiatal hernia repair same time as VSG I'm praying this passes ASAP -- I miss food but still no hunger at all

Aw sweetie, it does get better. I was a revision from band to VSG and my Dr. discovered a hiatal hernia once he got in and repaired it. My bounce back was a bit longer than I anticipate but it DID happen. My surgery was in May and I was never so glad to see July in my life. Finally, normal food....smaller amounts, but no Soup or mush. The change in the beginning is tough but it is a great time to work on YOU. Use it and find one thing each day to be grateful for...(remember Oprah's gratitude journal idea). Those small items will get you through the rough spells. Best of luck!

Aw sweetie, it does get better. I was a revision from band to VSG and my Dr. discovered a hiatal hernia once he got in and repaired it. My bounce back was a bit longer than I anticipate but it DID happen. My surgery was in May and I was never so glad to see July in my life. Finally, normal food....smaller amounts, but no Soup or mush. The change in the beginning is tough but it is a great time to work on YOU. Use it and find one thing each day to be grateful for...(remember Oprah's gratitude journal idea). Those small items will get you through the rough spells. Best of luck!

--

I'm looking forward to February when I can try real foods that will provide more Protein and energy do I don't feel so weak

hope this sliding hernia repair pain subsides too ASAP -- it's the worst!!!

I think not feeling regret would actually be odd. Most people that are morbidly obese love food. (I'm speaking about myself). I had my surgery and I have absolutely felt sorry for myself. Reading pre-op and post-op discussions is just that. Reading. Experiencing can be a totally different thing. I DO NOT regret having this surgery done, but have I had feelings of regret, yes. This is a life changing surgery. Period. Being on liquid diet during the holiday is very tough, especially for people that LOVE food. I think 98% of this experience is mental. It's in our heads. We just all need to try to remain positive and try our best to stick to our doctor's orders and change our mentality about food. Every single person that elected to have this surgery was UNHAPPY about their bodies. I just hope in one year I can look at my body and be HEALTHY and HAPPY. It's all be worth it, every sad and regretful feeling will have been worth it!

--

Well said Amanda!!

No one can know for sure how it will feel to see your friends and Fam enjoying all your/their favorites socializing around the holidays and you stand there smelling all the great aromas but can't even have a bite

You can read 100 books on it and still not know until you are living in it. Never heard about the difficulties of hernia repair either and boy was that a shocker for me; I'm so uncomfortable and it hurts to drink. Many folks I heard have hernia repair seem to not have many recovery issues and similar high pain level that I have. Not only can't I eat but it hurts to drink and i need fluids to function normally and stay out of the ER

I chose to have surgery around holiday time cause its when I have the most time off from work due to university winter break schedule but even If it wasn't the holidays it would still be tough -- my family loves to eat and I love to bake so challenges would always exist no matter the time of year

Most ppl I spoke to pre op just told me how they dont regret having the surgery glad they lost so much weight and wish they did it earlier .. No one really focused on how mentally draining it was the first couple months and how lack of energy could drive you crazy the way it is for me now

I can't complain too much I know many suffer with several complications and although I have pain sadness and discomfort I'm hoping it will pass very very soon and I'll tolerate healthier good tasting food before i know it

Yes speaking to many WLS folks who are newly out can help and I've watched tons of YouTube videos pre op and post but still until you are living the experience you won't fully understand

I've even read about 5-7 day post op folks having tons of energy going for light jogs and off pain meds within 2 days .... Completely opposite of me and I was spinning 2-4 times a week and walking jogging 2-3 times a week prior to VSG; I felt amazing and thought I'd breeze right through recovery ..... Little did I know how different it would be no matter how life was prior to surgery

I have been thinking about this. I have no regrets and though I hesitate to say it here an easy recovery despite a hiatal hernia repair. But I had had surgeries in the last 5 years and my gallbladder in particular was quite difficult to recover from. I was in the hospital for four days and didn't feel like myself again for several months. My friend who had hers removed this June was out of the hospital the same day as if nothing had happened. But her VSG recovery was tough for the first 5 days.

Long winded way of saying that our bodies are strange and we really don't know how they are going to react to the trauma of surgery. We are so used to things going according to our plans in our lives that we don't always account for the fact that anything can happen.

Please be kind to yourselves and try to honor the healing process. This part is a huge adjustment but it does get better.

I think some of us do experience regret feelings at first since it's quite a big deal. It's a life changing surgery and some psychological support is quite needed. I did have my moments at first too..heck I still do once in a blue moon at 7 months out but trust me. It does get better! I know eating seems hard now but try taking it slow. Really small bites and good chewing. I hope you feel better soon.

For me, I want to know the good and the bad so I'll be prepared for it. IMO it's always better to know then not to know. Some may stay away from threads because they don't want their expectations of what's to come and will be to change. There has been times when I'm so focus on getting something I want that I refuse to acknowledge anything or anyone that could hinder it intentionally or not. But not WLS. It's too serious and life altering not to gather as much info as I can. So when I have my surgery I'll be aware of possible emotional and physical upheavals.

19 days out and very few regrets. A week out and I had a few bad days and I had this feeling of "OMG WTF DID I DO?". I missed out on Christmas Eve and Day---just because I knew I would not be able to handle being around the food and the questions. I have told my inner circle (Parents, Brother, BF, BFF's) but not my entire family or friends. I'm not ashamed, but I felt the need to be protective of the process in the beginning stages. I regret not being able to eat the way that I used to. Which shows me how addicted to food I was (am). Social situations are really difficult. My boyfriend was eating White Castle in front of me the other day---the smell was equal parts delicious and disgusting. I think that some regret in normal, especially if you are having a hard time. Take it each day at a time. Be kind to yourself. Use your doctor, this forum and I suggest joining a support group. The practice that performed my surgery has one. I plan on using it. If you have access to the therapist, I suggest utilizing that as well. WLS is a BIG deal. It's a life changer. That's why we did this, in order to change our lives.

Best of luck to you!

I'm 8 months out and down 70 pounds. I went from a size 20 to a size 8. I thought I was going to die the first two days. Since then I have thanked God everyday for giving me this gift. It was a magic bullet. I would do it again and again! No regrets. Just keep the faith and don't give up. It will get easier and easier. The point of the surgery was to take away your craving for food and to reduce the amount of your food intake. I drank lots of Decaf ice tea with Splenda and GNC brand of Protein Shakes. And, Water popsicles. I eat anything I want now. Just small portions. And, I'm still losing. You will be fine. Imagine walking into The Gap and pulling on a pair of button fly cords in a size 8 with room to spare. It's all worth it. I promise!

YOU LOOK GREAT !!!

The first 2 months can be very difficult. I had a fast recovery and no complications but I was tired and sore.

I remember being so frustrated that I could not drink Water or I would burp uncontrollably. I missed being able to take a big swig. I switched to diet iced tea and that was much easier.

I also remember that eating solid meat was so hard no matter how much I chewed it. Just an ounce would hurt! It would hurt to eat any solids but i knew I had to in order to make use of the sleeve restriction. I stayed on chili and Soups to get me thru those times. How would I ever get enough Protein? I did not want to do shakes all the time!

But even though those were tough times and the first couple days I wondered "what did I do" when I could not even drink water!!! - I just knew it would get better with time.

Now 9 months and 100lbs down I am happy to report those problems are a distant memory. In fact I forgot about the constant burping in the early days until my 14 year old reminded me of it the other day.

So it may take time and adjustment and work - but there also can be great joy and accomplishment and satisfaction!

Playlikeworldchamps, thanks so much I have experienced the the thing with the Water. I found crystal light tea, 100% grape & apple juice to go down well; but it has to be in crushed ice. Chili has went down great along with baked fish. I don't eat pork but been craving those ribblets from Applebee's its been about 10 + years. My weight has stalled out did you experience this. I will be 1 month out 1/2/2014?

Playlikeworldchamps, thanks so much I have experienced the the thing with the Water. I found crystal light tea, 100% grape & apple juice to go down well; but it has to be in crushed ice. Chili has went down great along with baked fish. I don't eat pork but been craving those ribblets from Applebee's its been about 10 + years. My weight has stalled out did you experience this. I will be 1 month out 1/2/2014?

I have been fortunate not to experience any real stalls but I hear it is common at 3 weeks out and other times. I have had a couple no loss, 0.2 loss, and 0.4 gain weeks but body usually makes up for those once I make sure to reduce sugar intake and make sure Protein at least 65-70g I am still losing but it is about 6 pounds a month and it usually goes very slow for 3-4 weeks then drops. At your stage, it is normal to slow down as you start to add in food again. Just be patient and stick to protein first, avoid sugar, and drink water/tea. It will come off - trust me! I was not a fast loser as others in the first few months but it has been consistent. And remember it is not a race. This is time well spent in relearning how to eat.