Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret this surgery?

I regretted it the 1st month, but then I realized it was because I wanted to go back to all my old ways that got me in this trouble and couldn't. Then I look at myself and the scale and say no this was worth it. I'm going to avoid all the health problems that were eminent in my life and I can live a lot longer than I was headed. Yeah the most aggravating thing in the world is eating those small bites and having to wait to drink is horrible, but hey nothing's perfect.

I regretted it the 1st month, but then I realized it was because I wanted to go back to all my old ways that got me in this trouble and couldn't. Then I look at myself and the scale and say no this was worth it. I'm going to avoid all the health problems that were eminent in my life and I can live a lot longer than I was headed. Yeah the most aggravating thing in the world is eating those small bites and having to wait to drink is horrible, but hey nothing's perfect.

----

I'm only 13 days out and love that I'm slimming down but can't wait to have more energy and eat regular foods ..

I can say with certainty that I don't regret choosing the sleeve over the RNY or Lapband due to some of the issues and concerns I've read about over the years .. There is no perfect WLS but I think the sleeve was the best fit for me compared to others .... Recovery isn't always smooth sailing for most no matter which WLS route we take

I never regretted it for one moment and I have hardly ever seen people on these forums who regretted it unless they had a complication or they were very new post-op. I have never seen a complication-free 6+ month post-op who regrets the surgery despite having lost a significant mount of weight. I guess they must exist and I'd like to hear from them to understand what their regrets are.

The first month is rough. liquids are boring and purée is a pain, you have to sip all the time and everything feels weird. Hormones are surging through your system. You are having to deal with your life without "using" food. It's tough. Even knowing this pre-op isn't enough for some people to be prepared. I will say I had an easy recovery and it never felt like a burden to me. I was able to keep a positive attitude throughout. After all, I really wanted this from the bottom of my heart, and I had no complications and almost no pain.

This is when you need support. Get it from BariatricPal, as well as your partner, family, surgeon, psychologist, minister, best friend, whoever. Just get to the soft food stage and not only will you be able to eat more normally, but your risk of complications goes way down at the 6-week mark. By two months, you are most likely on solid foods and you can eat at restaurants again. You are back at work and seeing people every day. You can start exercising. Before you know it, you will be living pretty much normal, dropping weight and gaining health.

Yes, I regret it. I had complications in surgery, had an excruciating blood clot, and was just scared.

The surgeon was good and I'm in no pain now, but for me the weight loss is so slow that I don't feel it was worth the risk involved. I am also really tired and staying fed and hydrated requires constant vigilance. It's like caring for a newborn.

That said, I read about a million threads here on regret, and you'll find the vast majority do not regret it. Among those who do regret it, some regret it due to pain or complications, some miss food from an emotional perspective, and some just don't like the results. You might find it works beautifully for you.

It's hard, too, because these posts are a snapshot in time. I may feel very different at 1 year out than 3 weeks out.

im almost one year out i had a stricture at first was on tpn for a month but now im loving my sleeve i was wearing a size 22 now a size 8 so just hang in there it is so worth it

Yes, I regret it. I had complications in surgery, had an excruciating blood clot, and was just scared.

The surgeon was good and I'm in no pain now, but for me the weight loss is so slow that I don't feel it was worth the risk involved. I am also really tired and staying fed and hydrated requires constant vigilance. It's like caring for a newborn.

That said, I read about a million threads here on regret, and you'll find the vast majority do not regret it. Among those who do regret it, some regret it due to pain or complications, some miss food from an emotional perspective, and some just don't like the results. You might find it works beautifully for you.

It's hard, too, because these posts are a snapshot in time. I may feel very different at 1 year out than 3 weeks out.

NothingUpMySleeve,

How far are you out from your surgery? I am 9 weeks now and remember being very tired. I had a lot of energy the first week after surgery, had band removed ad sleeve performed, then had another surgery 10 days later. I attribute a lot of my tiredness to this and then getting a pretty nasty cold 3 weeks post op. The tiredness let me at a little over one month post-op.

I hope you do post updates down the road stating you no longer regret the surgery since there is not an undo afterwards.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.

I'm 2 years out do not regret this surgery. My life has changed a lot. The other day I went for my yearly physical and was told "you're not longer obese". BMI 24. Went from a size 20 to a 10. Can pretty much eat and drink anything. Just of course with the restriction from the sleeve it is smaller portions. I have had to learn to live with my addiction tendencies. Realize when something is out of control and get it back to control quickly. Good Luck to all who are struggling or just wondering if they can make it- YOU CAN DO This. Linda

Ribearty,

I'm only 17 days out and 5 lb down, so I will certainly keep updates going. I wouldn't want to dissuade someone who could really benefit from it, on the other hand, I hope people can see that not everyone loses a ton in the first two weeks, and there is no discernible change in measurements. Also, I've been told weight loss slows considerably after the first month. I'd hoped for a tool that helped me more, but I guess even a pound a month is better than nothing. :)

It will happen, follow the plan. You may still be carrying some Water weight from all the IVs and fluids you received in the hospital. Also if you start off weighing less the weight comes off slowly. Here is a URL that may help you put your loss into perspective, http://bea.amaya.com/PercentEWL.html.

This site shows the percentage of excess weight loss you have lost When you compare yourself to others it often times is not a realistic benchmark.

I am losing slower than others but expected it to be that way due to several factors. I am okay with that. It's not a race and I will get to my goal.

I have never regreted my decision for surgery. I had health problems diabeties which was uncontrolled, high blood pressure, my triglicerides were over 1000, osto arthritis, fibromyalgia, and syringomyelia. Since my surgery my blood sugars are controlled with one insulin pen rather than the 3 I was using. I haven't had any pain eating or drinking, now if I eat something very dense like ground meat, steak,pork chops, scrambled eggs. They come up when I eat them, I am under 200 lbs., for the first time in over 30 yrs., I was able to wear a size 18 jeans and large top ,before I was wearing 3 x's.I wouldn't change a thing I've been thru for any thing. Good luck and God Bless everyone.

Hi! I am 10 days post op and I have to say that I have had some regrets. I don't feel as good as some people have claimed they do at this point. food was such an "activity" in my life. My family and I went to Breakfast, lunch...out to dinner....I miss that. I am not hungry at all, but I just miss the how food brought us together. I feel so left out now.
Besides that, I don't have interest in doing much of anything. I know I am not getting enough Protein, or Water for that matter which I am sure is contributing to feeling so crappy. Is this feeling ever going to go away?

Hi! I am 10 days post op and I have to say that I have had some regrets. I don't feel as good as some people have claimed they do at this point. food was such an "activity" in my life. My family and I went to Breakfast, lunch...out to dinner....I miss that. I am not hungry at all, but I just miss the how food brought us together. I feel so left out now.

Besides that, I don't have interest in doing much of anything. I know I am not getting enough Protein, or Water for that matter which I am sure is contributing to feeling so crappy. Is this feeling ever going to go away?

-- I feel exactly as you do 17 days out

I'm beyond weak and it hurts my chest to drink anything

I had hiatal hernia repair same time as VSG

I'm praying this passes ASAP -- I miss food but still no hunger at all

Wennie,

I had my surgery on December 10th, and I did regret having it and sometimes still do. I have a lot of medical issues but I know I made the right decisions and I know you have to. I keep on thinking the light is at the end of the tunnel.... and each day is getting better and I know it will be the same for you. I am not a Water drinker and have never been but as long as I have a flavor in the Water it is not bad. I am finally able to go to the gym and ride a bike for 5 minutes or so and I go with my husband to walk in stores... I don't know if you will have good and bad days but them will start turning into good ones... Keep an open mind and look how beautiful you will be after several months.

I started at 265 and I am down to 219 today.... Just keep good thoughts and you will make it.

I am 1 week 1 day post op and feeling a little bit of regret I'm not going to lie. I think for me I was expecting NOT to want the things that I would normally want or craved before surgery. I know those things are what got me into this position so I'm just trying to fight it. I LOVE potatoes and I LOVE chic-Fil-La, so to see my daughter and husband eat those things and I smell it I honestly feel like crying. I'm doing my best to push on I really have no choice unless I want to feel horrible. I guess what I'm trying to say is at this very moment I DO some what regret this decision only because I have no control and I cannot have those things . I carefully made this decision and I do believe in the long run it will be for the best.

Nothing worth having is going to be easy. That is what I keep telling myself. I mean even if I were dieting without the surgery it would still be difficult so I feel like at least now I have tool to keep me on track.

Good luck and push through it....It will payoff

We do talk about the phenomenon of regret during the first few weeks post-op, also called "buyer's remorse" quite a lot here. However, pre-ops seem to close their eyes to this kind of discussion, so we have lots of people who post during their first few weeks asking about regrets, and replying to such threads. I wish somehow we could get the message out that this is a normal feeling, and barring complications, usually passes by the end of the first month, when you have mostly healed and food choices are getting more interesting.

For those who are new, how could we have phrases this so you would have heard it during your pre-op research? When you were pre-op did you do a search for threads with "regret" in the title? Do you feel like you understood the post-op graduated diet before your surgery? I'm really curious if there is some way to make sure that the right info gets to people before the surgery is they are not surprised afterward by buyer's remorse, the three week stall, etc.