Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol and the band

I would imagine that you will do exactly what you want to do. I know for me that following the rules helped me lose my weight.

I drink less after the band and do notice the effects quicker but I can still drink 3-4 times as much as my friends (rather than 5-6 times as much).

I do limit myself to a single carbonated beverage (whether that's beer or a mixer depends on my mood) and normally lean more towards wine or scotch now.

As a diabetic I strongly endorse 1 drink of alcohol a night but discourage frequent heavy drinking.

I am not banded yet. December 18th is the day. Thanks for asking this, I too like to drink. I don't drink every day, but about once or twice a month, I like to go out and have a few and catch a nice buzz. I have actually purchased some of the Skinny Girl products. She has wine and also some pre-mix drinks like Margaritas and Cosmos that are only about 100 calories per serving. Which is about 500 calories if you drink the whole bottle. I feel that with anything, you have to find what works for you. The most important thing is not to drink too much and throw up. Throwing up is not good for the band.

Agree with all the previous posts. My biggest fear for newly banded patients is drinking to the point where you get sick or hung-over to the point of hurling your guts out over the white throne.

This kind of over indulgence could cause a slip or erosion. I do drink now, but alcohol affects me so much quicker now so it's usually one beer or one glass of wine.

Christmas party last night....4 Gin and Tonics!

It's been a while since I was buzzed like that.....but we all had a great time.

It's 5am, and I need to get to the gym and sweat!! Sweat, Sweat! when they open at 6 on weekends....

BTW, with all that wonderful food, I barely ate anything....I think I was the only one who did not get in the buffet line.....tasted a few things is more accurate, and did "graze" on some canapes the servers were walking around with early on...I quess that's all I needed.......the band performed marvelously as it does everyday.... no matter where I'm at!

your dr would best advise you

for as you can see, some drink and some dont

my dr told me no carbonation (beer/soda) but i do have some

wine every now and again

Thanks everyone !

I guess I will find out from the doc when it gets abit closer, you's have all been helpful, I can see everyone is different ,

At the end of the day if I CANT drink with the lapband I am willing to sacrifice the grog to be healthy and slim any day. I can't wait to join you's on the weightloss journey!

Alcohol does not bother me one way or the other, and my habits have not changed all that much....(I'm not a calorie counter)

I do have to take my Bloody Mary's less spicy, as is the new habit now with all things because of reflux....

I also drink carbonated drinks now and then,,,and I will have a Beer, or 2, or 3, at times but NEVER within hours of eating any food....

My Dr. has a strict "No Carbonation Rule" also...then one day I told him I was going to a Yankee game and said "Don't drink too much beer!" and "Remember the warning signs when you do"

That stopped me in my tracks, asked him to explain...he thought we already had "That talk"...so after some questions, etc, he gave me his permission...ONLY because I was banded for over 2 years, and ONLY because I was done with my weight loss and and understood many things I would not understand earlier on when I was still learning more important lessons on how to live successfully with the band........

So I DO NOT advocate drinking Carbonated drinks to anyone....I DO advocate you follow your Dr.'s treatment plan to t "T".

Like my Mother used to say...just because one person jumps off the bridge does not make it right or wrong.....and no one here should ever do things because other people say they do...or worse yet, tell others it is OK or Not OK....

Got a BIG Christmas party tonight...dos not start till 8:30pm at a Swank Country Club.....and I don't eat after 7 as a general rule that works for me........I doubt I will be eating anything, soooo........

What was "the talk"? just curious

Going to a holiday party tonight at our next door neighbors. Taking a lot of food I have no interest in eating. Planning to have a Protein Shake before we go so I am covered -- and also I don't want to be thirsty. Then I can choose to have a drink or not, or an hors d'oeuvres or two, or not. I know to be careful at a party where there is lots of eating while talking and laughing. I don't want to forget and swallow something too large or not chewed thoroughly enough. I still need to really be tuned in and listening to my band -- hard to do that when things are very Merry. One thing that's great is I have no anxiety about eating.....the peace of that is a marvelous thing. Hurray for the band and ending the chatter in my head, the obsession with food!

I wish all of you a Merry Xmas. I guess I am an old fuddy duddy. After 4 years I hardly ever think of food or drink. I just eat what I think I should which is tried and true. Same for the drinks. Hugs. Oh, New Year too.

I suggest that you all buy yourself the wonderful book written by the creator of Lapband talk.com. That was the name before it became Bariatric pal,

It was written by our ALEX.

I am the Ilene in the book and there are 11 pages of my answers to the questions. While I do not have all the answers, I feel that I have succeeded in my journey. Hugs again!

I am newly banded and am still young. I am 25 and newly wed. I am full of life so much of y'all are helping me day to day. I am not only working to be healthier weight wise but healthier to become a mother on my own a couple years from now. Due to my conditions I have because of weight and poor choice of eating I can finally see a new exciting chapter for me.

Everyone is different. I have a Bud 55 select everything now and then but it get me full quick or I try to avoid beer. My drink of choice is wine but be careful because of the empty calories. On the days I do go out with friends I workout more and try to burn at least 600 calories. It's all about planning. I will say this I do get buzzed really quick now I am saving so much money when I go out drinking!

Good Luck.

I was never a big drinker before and even less now. A glass of wine is about all I can take now. I would say you won't be able to binge drink after the band. I doubt if you would be able to, plus you don't want to risk being sick and possibly causing a slip. Why take the risk?