Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm hearing crickets in here! So.... fasting today... Gained over thanksgiving weekend, but feeling good fasting today. REALLY trying to do it right on fast days. I killed myself with the leftovers.... lucky there was no pie in the house! Shoping today for some good veggies and supplies for healthy meals. Drinking a ton of Water, as i think some of the weight gain is water from all the salty stuff and carbs. Fingers crossed on that! Anyway ladies, chin up... write it all down, if you blew off your fast day today, there is always tomorrow! Lets not let this holiday bet us up! You can do it.

Thanks FYE for rallying the troups,

Monday check ins are a little harder after a gain during Thanksgiving week. And, I blew off one fast day (as it was my my husband and sons birthdays and then Thanksgiving) Thanks for the reminder that each day is a new day. I used to ride out when I don't follow my plan as a failure and have the "fuck it" attitude for weeks after that.

Today is a fast day for me and so I'm steaming an artichoke and preparing a low fat Mayo/mustard/dill dip. 125 cal ;).

My goal this week is to work on my 5 days and make sure that I track everything. Fasting on my 2 days seems to be easier as I appear to be eating (on my 5 days) roughly 1700-1800 cal. It sounds like that is too much from reading this string, but I'm not sure if maybe it is what my body needs and can handle.

Lisa

Hi all,

Checking in with my first 5:2 fast day.

My weight is up following the holiday weekend. 145 today. 10 pounds over goal.

I will be checking in here at least every Monday to report my current weight and previous week's details.

Today, I had 1 cup of homemade beef stew for lunch and 9 small scallops with three pieces of bacon for dinner. I am going to try to stop at that amount for food, but if I am starving later, I will have 3/4 cup of plain, fat free greek yogurt for an extra 90 calories.

I will be doing my second fast day on Wednesday this week.

I plan to restrict drinks and extra treats to two days per week. This week it will be Thursday, when I'm throwing a holiday cocktail party and cookie exchange. Probably will save my other day for the weekend.

Lynda

My Monday check in is a bit late...although it's 5am on Tuesday morning so it's officially still Monday in the US! I weighed in at 142.5 this morning so am not unhappy with that. Although truth be told I still have not done the 5:2...I was in Berlin all weekend with friends; got home at 4:30 on Sunday and at 6pm had dinner plans with another friend. Monday was another dinner engagement with friends we do on the first Monday of every month. But I ate about 5 bites and was done. My eating is very much under control, but it's the 2 glasses of wine and a cookie I have each day that add the calories that keep me from losing. I AM GOING TO FAST TODAY...NO REASON NOT TO!!!! I really need to lose a few lbs before Christmas week because it's the only week of the year I bake and we will have Christmas here. If I don't I will be in big trouble. Thanks everyone for helping to keep me on track!!! I am also still blogging (now only every two weeks, will post a new one today) so that is helping too.

Good job checking in ladies! Its hard to keep your eye on the prize when there is so much temptation at hand. I believe you are ahead of the game when you keep your eyes open and aware of whats going on and in. I did pretty well today, nothing but Water and green tea crystal light until dinner, then a big bowl of sautéed veggies, sweet potato, carrots, green fava Beans, broccoli , garlic olive oil and a sprinkle of Romano cheese, then my "vice" home made Sugar Free Chocolate pudding with Peanut Butter and 60% dark chocolate chips.... coming in at 556 calories all together. Hope that knocks a pound off and gets me back into my 170's (I was 180.5 this morning... the highest I have been in over a year or two... hate to go up into new numbers) My goal range is 170-173... so I want to lose at least 7 pounds to get back in the range. One day at a time ladies. Thanks for being here for me too!

I fasted Monday and Wednesday last week, and low calories on Wednesday. I found it to be really helpful, in that my restriction was definitely stronger after that. However, I had too much food and temptation in the house for thanksgiving and over the weekend, and ate too much! I went back to my regular eating yesterday, around 1100 calories. I'm probably not going to fast to 500 calories for a few weeks, though, because I'm having plastic surgery again in 2 weeks, and I think I better get my nutritional status as optimal as possible for healing. If you guys don't mind, though, I'm going to stick with you, because I think as soon as that's over, the 5:2 might be the best plan to FINALLY get me to my goal! I think that it's easier to eat lower calories after a 500 calorie day, and I have to eat pretty low to just maintain above goal. Have a great day, ladies.

Second fast day yesterday went well. I had a light cheese stick wrapped with two slices of low fat deli ham at 10:30 a.m. and 3/4 C. each mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy at 5:30 p.m. I felt a little hungry mid afternoon but I was so busy I forgot it was a fast day most of the time. I need to do a better job of getting in some veggies on fast days.

Today is splurge day. I'm hosting a cocktail party and cookie exchange tonight. I will eat some Snacks and some Cookies and have three cocktails. My other splurge day will be Sunday, when the kids come to watch football. I'll have snacks and two cocktails that day.

Friday and Saturday I will stick to a healthy plan with three meals and two healthy snacks.

Lynda

Sounds good Lynda! I had a good fast day too, came it at 600 cals, which is close enough. Also got in a 2 mile walk. a Decaf latte in the morning, and a stir fry eggplant/tofu and a chocolate/peautbutter pudding in the evening. I just found out I was chosen to model in a fashion show put on by my bariatric center in January... there is some motivation to lose that last 7 pounds! Game on!

Edited by feedyoureye

I think what @@feedyoureye and @@lsereno are describing are great ways to live. As I said, I am not doing 5:2 for the next couple of weeks (due to surgery next friday), but it makes such good sense to me. I think it's pretty hard to stay at a certain number of calories day in and day out because life gets in the way, and this allows you to keep your average calories, over time, at that number that keeps you from gaining.

I was told to really focus on Protein before and after plastics. My hunger went through the roof while recovery but I had alot done at once. I agree that 5:2 can wait...

I am not successfully fasting right now, but this approach really works. Makes it so I can go out on Friday or Sat and not worry too much as the fast days balance things. I used 5:2 to work off a small regain, get well under goal and then maintain. I am back into the 150s again and need to restart 5:2 to get back to 140ish.

I was told to really focus on Protein before and after plastics. My hunger went through the roof while recovery but I had alot done at once. I agree that 5:2 can wait...

Yes, it's protein, protein, protein (and some Vitamin C) for tissue healing. Also. it's an increase in calories. Somewhere around 500 additional calories/day, according to most medical schools of thought. I had some delayed healing in a couple of spots from my LBL, and those have just barely healed at 4 months post plastics, so I'm leery of too much calorie restriction right now. I doubt I'll be eating an extra 500 calories a day, though. Here's how the calorie math works for me: eating an extra 2000 calories = 1 pound, but it takes a sustained restriction and about 5000 calories to lose one pound. So, with the 5:2 plan, I think the general decrease in calories those 2 days plus remaining pretty restricted the other 5 days should help get me to goal, eventually!

Has anyone else identified their calorie math...or maybe I'm just nuts? Or do you think the 5:2 helps in other ways, because of the fast, based on your personal experience?

Michigan, have you watched the 5:2 documentary from the BBC? It really tells the story of 5:2... which is not a weight loss program, but a longevity program. (weight loss is a side effect) Its so interesting!

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

I would recommend anyone thinking of adopting the 5:2 plan to watch this... it is very motivating...in fact I think I will watch it again right now...again, for the 4th time!

Edited by feedyoureye

Hi all,

Monday check in here. Weight is 145.2. Doing good on the fast day today. I'm hungry, but holding out for dinner. I had a light cheese stick with two slices of low fat ham at noon and 3/4 cup raw brocolli and tomatoes at 3 p.m. I've had 5 cups of fluids so far. 1 coffee, 1 Decaf, 1 Water and 2 sugar free hot apple cider mixes with sugar free caramel Syrup. For dinner, I'm having BBQ chicken,

I think I didn't lose last week because I overdid it on splurge days and had a little extra on Friday and Saturday too. I will be traveling this week. Next fast day will be Wednesday. I plan to clock in around 600 calories by eating a small dinner. Driving home Sunday, which will be my second fast day. Following week, I will not be fasting on Monday because that would be two days in a row and I'm going to a potluck luncheon that day.

Lynda

@@feedyoureye I have seen the video, but I'll watch it again. Thanks for posting the link.

@@lsereno you are doing great. I don't know about you, but I am really struggling with my will power! I used to be able to resist temptation much better than now. And even though I can not eat anything like I used to before surgery, I can do some serious damage on a splurge. Around the holidays, it's really hard not be facing those temptations every where I go. Add to that the swelling I still have from my first round of plastics 4 months ago, and the impending swelling from this coming Friday's work, and the scale is just pissing me off. Because it IS the scales' fault, right? :)

I didn't check in monday.... I have company from out of the country, and it has been a bit of an eating fest. Thanks goodness for the sleeve! They are leaving in the morning, and I am looking forward to getting back on track. This is a broken record... I do this every time someone comes to town and stays at my place! Well, it was fun, and only three days... so onward!

Hi all,

One day late. I was traveling most of last week and only got one fast day in. Weighed 142.5 on Monday, so I'm very happy with that.

Not sure which fast days I will have this week. I have family here till Friday. May skip the fast day this week and just try to avoid Snacks and sweets.

Lynda