Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Do You Explain Rapid Weight Loss, If You're Not Telling Coworkers About Wls

My first post on this site ... I am choosing not to tell co-workers about WLS. For those of you who didn't disclose, how did you respond to the rapid weight loss?

I've told my closest friends and family about my surgery…not really trying to keep it a secret but also don't feel like it's anyone else's business. When co-workers or acquaintances asked how I've lost so much weight I've always answered that I'm eating less. It's true and It usually stops any further questions!

Luckily I am a "slow" loser so I didn't suddenly Drop a ton of weight. I told my coworkers I have a nutritionist and a personal trainer. Since ive always worked out, very few have asked anyway

I'm glad you posted this question, I've been wondering the same thing. I'm more concerned regareding friends and family that I don't see day to day. Even though we only see each other a few times a year, some of my family members can be really nosy!

Well, I'm planning on the using the hiatal hernia excuse for surgery. Along those lines, I'm planning to say I need a liquid and then bland diet afterwards. I will then say that the liquids and bland diet started an initial weight loss and since I was getting around easier, I decided to take advantage of that and start exercising again.

I tell them I'm on a high Protein, low carb diet - supervised by my doctor. 79 pounds down in almost 6 months.

Anyone that asked me about how I was losing weight was told that I was eating a whole lot less and doing lots of walking. They could see me going out for walks during lunch and I ate only a small bowl of food at lunch. No one really asked any more than that. It's been 11 months and I've only had one person ask if I had WLS and I told him that I did - but that was at month 10, I probably would have lied to him if he had asked that question in the 1st 6 months. I wasn't comfortable telling anyone for a long time.

My first post on this site ... I am choosing not to tell co-workers about WLS. For those of you who didn't disclose, how did you respond to the rapid weight loss?

I tell everyone who asks (and some who don't) that I had gastric sleeve surgery. It may help someone who needs it. Everybody knows that I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. Surgery has been a real blessing for me.

My first post on this site ... I am choosing not to tell -workers about WLS. For those of you who didn't disclose, how did you respond to the rapid weight loss?

I told everyone i had my gallbladder r

I told everyone i had my gallbladder removed

I'm also glad you posted this question. I understand about those who tell everyone including people who don't ask. I feel like my WLS (Sept. 17, 2013) has been a life changing event. However, it's just not something I want to discuss with others. I haven't told anyone outside of my immediate (household) family. Thanksgiving is going to be a bit weird. Because I travel so much, I see most of my family only a few times a year and because I am a remote worker, I see most of my work colleagues only at a big January meeting. My loss has been rather dramatic. In total this year (as of this morning) I've lost 75 pounds and gone from a 26/28 to a 16. By January, I expect it to be more. I'm doing a combination of Atlanta Red and Joatsaint. I was on medical leave in September and that combined with the stringent recovery requirements has galvanized my weight loss. I'm following it up with more exercise and Nutrition 101 along with Portion Control. All of that is true and avoids the judgement I know some people will feel to pass. With family, who don't know I had any "health problems" in September, I'm planning on just sticking with Nutrition 101 and exercise.

I have told almost no one about my surgery - by the advice of the psych doctor (who had gastric bypass himself). What's annoying is the very few people who know will monitor and comment on what I eat which drives me nuts. I'm so thankful he advised me not to make my private decision too public - it has worked out pretty well for me.

I was on a strict diet pre-op to qualify for surgery and people at work probably noticed my change in eating habits. Since surgery (I was on "vacation" :) ) I have slowly lost another 30 pounds and no one has said a word - my weight loss has been slow and natural. Maybe 3 people have noticed some slimming down and been nice about it. So, if anyone asks, I tell them I am "working with my doctor and a nutritionist and I'm on a high Protein, low carb diet." That's all they need to know and it's 100% true. No one has questioned me about it.

Well, I'm planning on the using the hiatal hernia excuse for surgery. Along those lines, I'm planning to say I need a liquid and then bland diet afterwards. I will then say that the liquids and bland diet started an initial weight loss and since I was getting around easier, I decided to take advantage of that and start exercising again.

I'm going with the same stories ...