Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Stand My Protein Drinks Anymore

I'm new here ... hi! :-) Had my vertical sleeve on 11/8. I'm supposed to be getting my 40-60g of Protein via my Protein powder. I'm using powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury vanilla, chocolate and chicken. After three weeks protein liquid prior and another one after surgery I've hit a wall. Honestly, I can't choke down another sip of that stuff. I'd be very interested to learn what you guys do for protein at this stage? Thank you. Larry

My surgeon used skim milk as my primary source of Protein for the first 2 weeks. He's not a fan of Protein shakes in general. I was allowed to use NesQuik No Sugar Added chocolate mix-in to make chocolate milk. It's not a huge difference from a chocolate Protein shake, but maybe enough suffice? Are you allowed to drink milk? For weeks 3 & 4 I was on full liquids & able to put the unjury chicken in some cream of chicken Soup, which was much better to me than having it mixed with Water. Good luck!

Good quality, low sugar, Greek yogurt is a good Protein source. Look for one that is smooth. No chunks. If you can only find unflavored, add a bit of stevia to make it a bit more palatable. Take small bites and "melt" it on your tongue.

I have lemon and it is tasty.

Have you tried adding flavorings to them? sugar free coffee syrups help a lot. There are quite a few different flovors. My fav is peppermint and pumpkin spice. I add them to my shakes yuo make them tolerable.

Im only little over 2 weeks out along with my Protein Shakes I can have egg, cottage cheese, yogurt and ricotta cheese..

I dont mind my shakes but I am ready to move on...I average 95 grams of Protein day ..I use Premier Protein ready to drink shakes at 30 grams each, also sf hot chocolate with scoop of unflavored protein, I make sf pudding with unflavored protein, I use Fage or Dannon light and fit greek blended no chunks. I also do the Unjury chicken Soup but between pre op and post its getting old...I make baked ricotta as my warm meal it taste like heaven right now lol

I had posted on this topic before with several alternative recipes etc. you might try those out?

At first I drank my Protein shakes like a good girl. Then I struggled through them. Then they made me sick. By the time I was post op, I was so sick of them, I'd rather have starved. Three things saved me.

1. If you find yourself getting nauseated with them, chances are quite good that you are lactose intolerant, especially after the surgery. I take lactaid pills with my first sip and it really helps with nausea, diarrhea, gas, gurgling, cramping hell.

2. I found two shakes I liked. Yours will be different but for me it was Chike coffee Protein, Syntrax mint chocolate chip, and I can also tolerate Syntrax Double Stuffed cookie. It helps to make only 4 oz, with 1 scoop of powder, half a cup of liquid, and the rest ice to make a 6 oz cup to slurp on, so keep the quantities small.

3. HIgh protein Soups. These saved me. You can't do these unless you are on full liquids, but once you're on them, and if you are sick of sweet Protein Shakes, please do try these.

I am posting links to my blog where I have posted them. Full disclosure, I do not make money off this blog, so this is not for self-promotion. I like creating different recipes and sharing so I hope they help someone.

Sorry I don't have pictures yet for these, but I will get them up there soon. Once you are through your liquids stage, also search for soft foods, or look up the ground chicken and ground beef recipes, and you may find something you like that is sleeve friendly.

Here's the list of soups:

1. Egg drop Soup ( I will post a proper recipe but boil chicken broth, stir in two beaten eggs when it boils, stir with a pair of chopsticks. Take it off the flame immediately, cover, and let it sit for 5 minutes to let the egg cook. Add salt, pepper, and my fav, some sesame oil for a fresh flavor).

2. Hot & sour soup
3. Shrimp "bisque"
4. Lobster bisque
5. Tortilla soup
6. Chicken and mushroom soup

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/284035-tired-of-protein-shakes-nauseated-by-them-try-this/#entry3193335

I haven't actually tried this because I haven't had any problems, but my NUT gave me some other options... Add dry powdered milk, it adds a lot of protien. Add powdered egg whites = protein... Carnation instant Breakfast, sugar free with powdered milk or plain Protein powder. broth with plain protein powder (I did that, it was good). If you have greek yogurt, you may want to thin it out, it might be too thick for liquid stage until you get into puree or soft. good luck

Oh wow, had no idea this board was so active. Many thanks to all of your for so many options.

Please tell me more about the unflavored unjury? I saw that they offered it. That seems like a real solution for people like me that can't get past the saccharine taste of these Protein drinks any longer. Can I just mix it in with my blended Soups, FF pudding, and the like? Does it have any residual flavor?

Thanks a million ...

Oh wow, had no idea this board was so active. Many thanks to all of your for so many options.

Please tell me more about the unflavored unjury? I saw that they offered it. That seems like a real solution for people like me that can't get past the saccharine taste of these Protein drinks any longer. Can I just mix it in with my blended Soups, FF pudding, and the like? Does it have any residual flavor?

Thanks a million ...

I just order my second container from Unjury since 10/30 lol you can add it to just about anything just watch the temp not to go over 140, if you look at unjury site they have a lot of recipes for this stage ...if you dont add it to a stronger flavor something you may taste it a bit...like I used sf cheesecake pudding and it was eh but than added it to pistachio and was much better

Don't want to add it to water... but you can add it to just about anything. . sauces, soup.. juice.. as previous poster said just don't go ove 140degrees

I just figured out that hot cocoa works for me. Nestle has a fat free 20 cal, 4g sugar packet. Throw that and some unflavored Protein into some hot Water and I can tolerate it better than I can ANYTHING else.

Don't want to add it to water... but you can add it to just about anything. . sauces, soup.. juice.. as previous poster said just don't go ove 140degrees

I agree, you don't want to add unflavored Protein powder to plain Water, but I've been having success adding Syntrax Nectar unflavored protein into water with a Crystal Lite package. Mixes thinly. No protein aftertaste.

I'm new here ... hi! :-) Had my vertical sleeve on 11/8. I'm supposed to be getting my 40-60g of Protein via my protein powder. I'm using Unjury vanilla, chocolate and chicken. After three weeks protein liquid prior and another one after surgery I've hit a wall. Honestly, I can't choke down another sip of that stuff. I'd be very interested to learn what you guys do for protein at this stage? Thank you. Larry

I've been on shakes for 3 weeks with surgery scheduled for 12/10. I barf just thinking about those damn shakes. Don't know how I'm going to make it through 2 weeks of them post op .

I found adding a heaping tablespoon of instant coffee to Premier chocolate shakes worked for me...still drink them at 6 months out :)