Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Planet Fitness....

How do they afford to almost GIVE away memberships to a really great gym? Just got a membership yesterday after taking the tour. What a great gym. They have about 150 cardio machines and about 75 weight machines. In addition, they have 2 separate areas. 1 for a 30 minutes total body workout (similar to curves) and 1 a 12 minute ab workout circuit. They have a big flashing light that goes off if ur a "Lunk" (someone who bangs the weights, wears a muscle shirt, and drinks Water from a 1 gallon container). No lunks allowed (meaning no serious body builders, just plain ole folk looking to increase their health)

With the $1 for the 1st mth and $20 a mth (they also have a $10 1 too) they give me the use of any Planet Fitness in the country, ability to bring a guest in every single day, unlimted use of the tanning machine, unlimted use of the hydrobed (which is heavenlly), and the use of a skin thingy that's sposed to erase wrinkles and fine lines (ill letcha know if it works). I even got a free tshirt. Did I mention a personal trainer (groups of up to 5) is free also? And 50% off all their sports drinks. Wow.

Start on Monday. Trying to get off the last 25 lbs. Not sure how the gym makes a profit. Luv them already. They're sponsored by The Biggest Loser. Can't wait to start...

I live in an area where the closest Planet Fitness is about an hour away. I wish we had one close by. I have been visiting their website every other day in the hopes that I would find one!

Good luck and keep us posted

I just checked out their website. That is crazy! I have never seen such a good deal. Unfortunately the closet Planet Fitness to me is 25 miles away :(

My Planet Fitness Experience was not as great. ALWAYS packed. The only "help" that was offered was by 19 year olds striking poses in sports bras and spandex, who stood behind the counter looking bored and chatting up the boys who strutted in to flex their muscles. It was disappointing. It is a great deal though, so I am glad you found a good one! I found a gym I preferred, and i also bought my own elliptical machine, which is my favorite!

I started a month ago, I really like the place.

I can't stand Planet Fitness personally. I went with a friend a few times as she was just starting to get into fitness a few years back. I was appalled that the gym staff would yell at you if you'd grunt whilst actually lifting weights (of which there are few, too many smith machines and no effin' barbells?!). In my opinion, and you can hate it if you want, it was a gym that was made with women in mind that want to go use cardio equipment and feel comfortable. If it was the only gym around, I would probably use it though..

Seriously, an anti-"lunk" policy is stupid. "Sorry people who actually work extremely hard to stay fit and build tons of muscle, the fatties are too self-conscious to be around you!" And that is coming from an obvi current fatty.

I have always preferred gyms that emphasize and encourage weight training over cardiovascular.

Edited by Tikva

I can't stand Planet Fitness personally. I went with a friend a few times as she was just starting to get into fitness a few years back. I was appalled that the gym staff would yell at you if you'd grunt whilst actually lifting weights (of which there are few' date=' too many smith machines and no effin' barbells?!). In my opinion, and you can hate it if you want, it was a gym that was made with women in mind that want to go use cardio equipment and feel comfortable. If it was the only gym around, I would probably use it though.. Seriously, an anti-"lunk" policy is stupid. "Sorry people who actually work extremely hard to stay fit and build tons of muscle, the fatties are too self-conscious to be around you!" And that is coming from an obvi current fatty. I have always preferred gyms that emphasize and encourage weight training over cardiovascular.[/quote']

I agree...the planet fitness by us serve free pizzas on Mondays!!!! I almost passed out when I saw that! I left the gym soon after.

I agree...the planet fitness by us serve free pizzas on Mondays!!!! I almost passed out when I saw that! I left the gym soon after.

i agree too! mines serves Bagels and Muffins on Wednesdays, have they heard about something call FRUITS !!!!

Sent from my iPad using VST

I've heard they serve donuts. Come on. At a gym? They can give away memberships probably because of their publicity for supplying equipment on biggest loser. Great publicity !

I've heard they stick an IV of triglycerides in you when you scan your membership card. :P

But really, a gym that serves free food is not a gym I'd like to be a member of. Gyms like Planet Fitness make their profits by enrolling tons of people due to low membership rates. Half of those people don't even go to the gym.

Edited by Tikva

I've heard they serve donuts. Come on. At a gym? They can give away memberships probably because of their publicity for supplying equipment on biggest loser. Great publicity !

Didn't see any donuts. They did have a bowl of Tootsie Rolls on the counter, however. I'm starting tomorrow so we'll see howw it turns out. I've got a 12 mth contract so it really doesn't matter if they serve donuts. I'm not gunna eat any...

I love mine. It's only 5 minutes away by car 15 by bike 30 jogging!

I love planet fitness too! Just 10 mins away. Never seen this gym serve the foods mentioned above just the tootsie rolls on the counter

I can't stand Planet Fitness personally. I went with a friend a few times as she was just starting to get into fitness a few years back. I was appalled that the gym staff would yell at you if you'd grunt whilst actually lifting weights (of which there are few, too many smith machines and no effin' barbells?!). In my opinion, and you can hate it if you want, it was a gym that was made with women in mind that want to go use cardio equipment and feel comfortable. If it was the only gym around, I would probably use it though..

Seriously, an anti-"lunk" policy is stupid. "Sorry people who actually work extremely hard to stay fit and build tons of muscle, the fatties are too self-conscious to be around you!" And that is coming from an obvi current fatty.

I have always preferred gyms that emphasize and encourage weight training over cardiovascular.

I hear ya "Tokva"! I tried one closer to home temporarily about 2 months after my surgery. (I work about 40 minutes from my home and workout at a gym close to work). I was off work for about 2 weeks during the holidays and just wanted a gym to go to since I was just getting back into working out and didn't want to take 2 weeks off from lifting or drive 40 minutes one way just to workout. So I joined PF knowing it would be only a month membership and with some understanding that it's not a gym for serious, or semi-serious lifters. My first trip......2 lunk alarms. Second trip....same thing. I didn't make a third trip, just worked out at home on my punching bag and did push ups, sit ups, etc and never set foot in that gym again except to sign the paperwork to cancel my membership. Keep in mind, I'm going to PF just less than 2 months post-op......so I'm not lifting heavy at all and I've never been a "grunter/yeller" on my lifts like some competitive power lifters or bodybuilders. I simply didn't put up the weights with zero sound, so I got "lunk alarmed". :huh: Perhaps they need rubber or foam weights......just sayin'. :D

I don't dislike PF personally and I think it's a good fit for someone who wants to do mostly cardio with occasional light resistance training and without emptying their wallet or purse. And any environment to get people to exercise that normally wouldn't at a regualr gym...... is a good thing. I do think calling themselves "judgment free" is a lie, but other than that, it could be a good fit for many people and obviously is quite popular. So "marfar7".......if you like PF and it fits what you are trying to accomplish.......by all means, continue. It doesn't really matter what others think, it's your money. Some of us burned or led astray by PF (myself included), are just sounding off with our personal opinions about PF, that's all and giving a heads up to people who may be expecting more from PF than they offer. I for one, am thrilled you're taking this step and I say go for it and I'm wishing you the best! :)

I just think its a gym that has a very specific focus group: people who want to run on an elliptical and maybe if they're feeling zesty do some work on the adductor/abductor machines (gosh I loathe those). Normally it would not be a big deal, but PF are starting to buy out a lot of other gyms!

I also think the judgment free zone is bullshit. Its just reverse judgment, out of shape people get to judge people who are actually working to maintain above average fitness. Hence the lunk alarm to shame someone who is actually getting the most out of their time rather than running on an elliptical for an hour. Maybe they should make their dumbbells out of Styrofoam to avoid the lunk alarm :P

p.s. I'm not trying to belittle the OP, joining a gym is a great thing! I just dislike the company and like to pick on them like I'd pick on Wal-Mart.

Edited by Tikva