Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hunger - did it come back and when?

I'm almost 4 months post op and I have REALLY noticed a huge change in my level of hunger over the last couple of weeks (going from zero most of the time) and I am starting to crave sweet things again. I know that this happens and some people never loose hunger after surgery and some do. Just curious about other people's experience. This for me has coincided with also being able to eat quite a bit more so I am REALLY scared to respond to the hunger....would love your feedback

This would get alot more responses on the post surgery board - this is the veterans board intended for topics relatiing to people alot further out from their surgery.

most of us deal with hunger, there are techniques - but number one is drink Water, eat high Protein, low carb and lots of veggies

I get hungry..and I'm 7 mo post op and started about 2nd month.

This would get alot more responses on the post surgery board - this is the veterans board intended for topics relatiing to people alot further out from their surgery. most of us deal with hunger' date=' there are techniques - but number one is drink Water, eat high Protein, low carb and lots of veggies[/quote']

I tend to agree with this..

thanks for the input - I will post it elsewhere. I just posted it here as I know (or at least I have heard) that it's sometimes 12 months before hunger comes back so maybe Vets would have more insight.

we post on other boards too and i will be happy to share my exeriences.

one comment is that it is EXPECTED and normal. The long term challenge is to change habits and behaviorsto live a normal life - even when you are able to eat more and experience hunger.

I'm 5 months out and have had hunger nearly the whole time. The difference is that it doesn't rule me. It comes at the "right" times, it isn't for specific foods, and I don't feel a compulsive need to "fix" it like I did before surgery. It's also satisfied by less than a cup of food by volume. Not a big deal. I expect it might change.

I am 5 months post-op as well. Hunger returned a couple of months ago. But, what a surprise to actually be PHYSICALLY hungry. Before my sleeve I ate so much and so often that "hunger" was actually head hunger, to continue to feed my addiction. I was never physically hungry.

Now when physical hunger hits, after getting over the surprise, I eat until I am no longer hungry. It could be a few nuts, or 1/2 cup of food. So different for me, since before I ate like I was never going to be able to eat again, and ate whatever food was in my path.

The other difference in hunger for me is my physical reactions. As a type 2 diabetic, my blood sugar was pretty out of control. When I was hungry I was shaky and lightheaded. Now that my blood sugar is under control and I have discontinued my diabetes meds, I no longer have the shakes when I get hungry. It's such a relief!

Month 5-6 seemed to be the end of my WLS honeymoon and hunger came back. Hard. I was hungry all the time on 900 calories a day, like a bear. Over the next few months I worked my calories up to 1700. Today I am between 2000-2400 calories and maintain fairly well when combined with exercise. I eat paleo style with some mods that are both more strict and also less strict. It balances out to a way of eating that fuels energy and satisfies hunger. As CGJ states, high Protein and lots of Water helps tremendously.

If I stick to Protein and eat low carb, I am never hungry.

Don't forget acid can feel exactly like you are hungry. If I don't take my acid blocker , Protonix, I feel like I am starving all the time.

If I stick to Protein and eat low carb' date=' I am never hungry. Don't forget acid can feel exactly like you are hungry. If I don't take my acid blocker , Protonix, I feel like I am starving all the time.[/quote']

I'm seeing this for myself. The only carbs I have is from fruits and veg. But sticking to protein. My hunger has gone back to after surgery. It's satisfying that this has happened because I'm losing weight again. This is after a 6 month stall. I've toned a lot through it.

The hunger came back, but not really the same. I rarely get hungry. The only time that I do is when I haven't eaten for a long stretch (over 5 or 6 hours), and even then, it doesn't feel the same as it did before.