Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have to keep a food diary?

I just completed my 6 month NUT visits and during that time I was required to keep a food diary. Am I still required to keep a food diary? I know it's probably a good idea to keep a food diary but is it generally a requirement? Do you still keep a food diary?

Yes I keep one. It keeps me honest. I do suggest doing this!

Is it a requirement? No, no one is going to come take you to jail if you don't. Is it a good idea? Yes, I think so, at least for most people. At one of my follow-ups the dietician told me that there are published, scientific studies showing:

--people who keep a food journal during weight loss lose, on average, twice as much as people who don't; and

--whether or not you keep a food journal is the leading factor in determining how successful you will be in weight loss or maintenance. More than exercise, more than what kind of diet you choose, more than whether you have counseling for food-associated problems, etc.

I've committed to keeping a food journal basically forever. I wasn't one of those special five percent of people who could lose a significant portion of my weight and keep it off without surgery . . . why would I be so special that I can progress and maintain as well without a journal as with one? I'm not special. I need to work at this even if it means doing annoying and time-consuming things.

That said, you may do just fine without a journal. Some people do. You are the one who can make that judgment call. I envy anyone who can do it without journaling but I honestly need that accountability.

I keep one and plan on doing so for quite a while. Can't say whether I'll do it forever but at least until I reach goal and maintain for a year or so.

It may be a little bit of a pain sometimes; but it is extremely helpful in keeping me honest about what I'm eating. When not keeping diary; it is easy to eat way too many calories. I use My Fitness Pal, as do many others here. Makes it much easier. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using VST

Try the DietMinder food & fitness journal. I saw someone recommended it for wls people a few days ago and I picked it up. Used it yesterday and LOVE it. If you have a smart phone, no excuse not to journal. There are a billion apps for food journaling I was lazy and just used notepad...until I realized how much memory Im probably soaking up putting all those notes in there lol

I have never been a journal person myself. But, it's second nature. Measure food, mark it down while eating. That is my thin me routine :)

I can't imagine not writing it down. I did it with weight watchers in the past, and would lose some weight, but every time I stopped writing, I started gaining. I know that I will need to do this forever - or I will gain weight. I'm one of those people who can't lose if I eat more than 900 calories. I attribute my success this far to writing down every bite I put in my mouth. Some days it's hard to do - you want to think that one little caramel won't hurt, or that coffee creamer is nothing - but the fact is that everything has calories, and they add up. That's just me, though. My mother, who did NOT have WLS, counts every calorie in her head, and never writes anything down. She has kept her weight off for 30 years. It just depends on what works for you.

We should. We don't have to, they're not going to put the stomach back. LOL.

I don't, and know I'd feel better. I do however, track my Protein numbers daily.

I'm not far enough out to justify not keeping the diary, and I have no good excuse. I need to get back to it, and keep saying tomorrow. I know it's a slippery slope. So I wouldn't recommend getting out of the habit because it's hard to get back into it. Don't learn from my bad example!!

I was writing it down, and then I switched to myfitnesspal. Something that makes it even easier and less writing - especially if you're a creature of habit, or have recipes you want to enter - is going to be easier to maintain long term.

My input, from a "sinner"

Here is my question...did you track what you were eating on your way to getting fat? If no, I would suggest tracking your food to help you stay SKINNY! (This is what I tell myself every time I log in MyFitnessPal.) Keeps me accountable.

Plus, at 8 months out, I can see what I have had to eat, drink, what I weighed, and how much I exercised for a year. Will never have to wonder what I did or ate in a given period of time to lose my weight.

Not a requirement, but a new habit I've adopted that is helping me be successful.

I, too, plan to keep journaling post op. I have found that I refer to my journal several times a day to make sure my Protein numbers are where they are supposed to be, and have heard, as one of the other posters mentioned that people who journal are more successful.

I use myfitnesspal as well, which is awesome. I can track my food, my exercise, and even have a friend my friend list who has already had the surgery (and is doing really well) and I can get great ideas of a daily food expectation on the other side. Their database is pretty expansive, so you can enter in just about any food, and it will already bring up all of the nutritional info. You can also access it from the computer or your ipad which is super handy.

Again, it's a matter of preference, but in my mind, if I am willing to take the step to have WLS, I am determined to do whatever it takes on the other side to ensure my success...and know that journaling will be one of those ways.

Best wishes to you.

I would agree.it has been essential to my success. My Fitness Pal makes it so easy. without it there are so many times I wouldhave eaten something i mistakenly thought had far fewer calories/carbs. besides that i need to be kept honest. there is something about looking at all I ate and the calories and Protein. besides how can you make changes down the line if you dont know what you are eating. PRotein in particular.

I would say that not traking your food is like playing football without pads, you could do it, but it is not advisable. IMHO

I'm only three weeks out, but I have started logging everything I eat on FitDay. Doing so keeps me aware of just how many grams of carbs, Protein and fat I am actually consuming on a daily basis, as well as the calories I am getting. I also use it to tweak my daily meals (kinda like meal planning based on which foods have the most protein) to ensure that I always get at least 60 grams of protein a day. I think doing this will help me in the long run.

I'm almost 14 months out and I sometimes keep track of what I'm eating. Usually when I track my food it's to make sure I'm eating enough. I only track maybe once every 2 weeks.

Weather it's required or not is between you and your nut, but it's always a good idea to do so, even if it's not. It keeps you on track and if you're not losing or something you can look back and say, "oh, here I had too many carbs" or "oh, this day I had WAY too much sodium" that kind of thing. It really is helpful!

Thank you. I appreciate all the feedback. I was using a regular notepad and pen to write down everything I ate because I needed to bring my food journal to my NUT at each appointment. Writing in that everyday is not something I want to keep doing but if I can get on a website and track then I'd be more likely to remember and actually do it. I don't have a smartphone right now but in the near future I plan to get one. I think I'll wait till after I get the surgery and then I'll start to track since the food portions i'll be eating are different than the portions I'm eating now.