Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Items recommended for home after surgery???

I am trying to make a list of things to make sure I have at home for after the surgery. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am getting banded November 14 at 7am! Getting anxious and excited.

I highly recommend gas x strips. Other than that maybe an abdominal binder. I didnt have one of those and I Think it would of helped. just take advancing your diet very slow....clear liquids right after surgery is advisable. I was on full liquids right away according to my doc but my tummy wasnt ready for that. Don't worry about not being hungry for a while...Hunger will come. Rest and let your body heal. Dont worry about the stupid scale for a little while.

Hi

Having a good blender is a good idea. Try out different Protein powders and drinks so you know which one you like best. I out away my large dinner dishes and use only salad and dessert plates. I bought 1/2 cup glass jars with lids to put my meals in (for work).

Have good walking sneakers. Go thru your cupboards and refrig and clean out items you intend to not eat. Have a good book to read.

My sister gave me the gift of a month of NetFlix 5 cds at a time.

If you don't have a timer, you might want to get one. I used one to tell me when it's time to go for a 10 minute walk outside. (set it at 90 minutes).

One thing I did was I wrote an email to my friends saying I the surgery went fine and I am now home, resting. Then I waited until I got home to send it.

That way everyone knew things were good and I got to just rest instead of trying to write to everyone when I got home from surgery.

Having a small pillow to put between you and the seat belt for the ride home is helpful. A roll of paper towels works well, too.

I had my surgery during the summer and just wore loose dresses after surgery, moo-moo type dresses. I didn't want anything pressing on me.

My advice is to focus on where you are in the process; don't get ahead of yourself. If you're on Clear Liquids, focus there -- don't long for full liquids!

I decided to buy all organic since I would be eating less. That's the only way I could afford it!

One mistake I made was discovering that I could, too, eat sugar. But once on that slippery slope, it was hard to get off. So just don't do it :)

I hope this helps.

~hiddn

ps: there are two kinds of gas you will be dealing with. Intestinal and the gas they pump in to balloon your skin out to do the procedure. Gas X strips helped me with intestinal gas. Walking often helped with the other. Try doing 5 10-minute walks a day (every 90 minutes during day light). It helped me to log them.

I am trying to make a list of things to make sure I have at home for after the surgery. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am getting banded November 14 at 7am! Getting anxious and excited.

I'll be going the day after you on the 15th! I am also very anxious & excited!

Great posts here -- thanks! I have Gas-x and small firm pillow with me for the ride home from the hospital tomorrow if needed. At home: Milk of Magnesia, stool softeners, filled pain medication prescription I hope not to need, juices for clear liquids, Popsicles, Soups, etc. for moving into full liquid phase. Let's see, heating pad, ice packs....

A heating pad and popsicles!!! Also pain meds...i was knocked out for like the first couple days. Good luck

binder is a super idea wish I thought of that

heating pad

Milk of magusim start before surgery keep it flowing

homemake chicken broth

ice for lots for Water

cans of creamed soups/with water

EAS protient drinks are great

yogur

no pants/waist band can cause absesses on port area

Thank you all so very much. You have all been very helpful....getting excited!

I am glad I found this. I really did not know about all I would need thank you so much.

All those are great things to have! I am 4 days postoperative and the one thing I had to go get today was Vagasil cream (I know TMI) but the IV antibiotic given at the hospital and the antibiotic 5 days post op wrecked havoc on my system!

Good luck with everyone's up coming surgeries!!

Therma Care Shoulder heating pads is a must. You will thank me later :) Also I stocked up on sugar free popsicles because after my surgery I sick of broths! Good Luck

I keep seeing sugar free popsicles. Where can u get them what brand

You should be able to get them in any grocery store in the ice cream section with the rest of the popsicles. I am cheap so I get he store brand.

I found mine at several different stores. Walmart, Target, food 4 Less (Krogers) any major grocery store.