Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help(I really want it)

Hey all,

Been doing some emotional eating(I am seeing a therapist) I see my lapband Dr tomorrow. I had a gain the last time,I saw him. I think IM looking at,a gain this time too. I was at 5 cc and throwing up everything. He removed me to 3cc and put me to 4 last visit. I still feel like I have no restriction. I just don't know what to do about the emotional eating. If anyone has any ideas id be appreciative. It seemed like I was,better,about this issue in,the past but it has become a great monster lately. Please help, I really want the help. Thanks

Emotional eating is a tricky beast. I too am a stress/emotional eater. I simply cannot focus on a diet when I am overly stressed. It is my absolute #1 go to to get distracted or to calm down. All the while I know I'm sabotaging myself, but there's an override in logical sensibility at that moment.

Here's some tricks I use:

1) I eat on hard things like carrots. Reason being..I think in addition to sugar and endorphin releases associated w/ high carb foods, there is also an oral habit going on. Kind of like when you are nervous and you have to tap your pencil on the table. If you have to put hand to mouth, make it a healthy choice and one that takes a crap load of time to chew down. It eats up time, it satisfied the need to chew (oral) and depending on the food can even satiate you during hungry periods or satisfy cravings.

2) Get active. Exercise releases endorphins. I know it's the last thing on your mind, but take that stress and/or frustration out on some boxing and/or running. You'll feel great and more balanced afterwards

3) Get distracted. Sometimes if we have to much free time we can be consumed w/ our thoughts/emotions. Get a hobby, meditate, volunteer, whatever floats your boat. The busier you are the less time you have to snack away.

4) And if you are in emergency emotional meltdown and you know it's going to persist. Remove EVERY item that is your go to food out of the house. Replace with less than desirable food (like pickles, rice cakes and mustard ahahah). None of these foods are going to give you that release and will help break that addiction of using food to curtail the emotions.

Hope this helps hon. <Hugs>

Thank you hazelsbliss that was really helpful. This is one issue I hate posting about!

Try not to lose faith. I agree if it's not there u can't eat it. When u want to jump on here. Read a book. Go for a walk. Remember this is for u! No one else can do it. We need to do it for ourselves! Keep the faith. Have a bad day. That's going to happen. Don't let it be 2 bad days.

Thank you ineedtodothis4me. It's really helpful to be affirmed on here. Thank you for your feedback. It means alot!

Hey all' date=' Been doing some emotional eating(I am seeing a therapist) I see my lapband Dr tomorrow. I had a gain the last time,I saw him. I think IM looking at,a gain this time too. I was at 5 cc and throwing up everything. He removed me to 3cc and put me to 4 last visit. I still feel like I have no restriction. I just don't know what to do about the emotional eating. If anyone has any ideas id be appreciative. It seemed like I was,better,about this issue in,the past but it has become a great monster lately. Please help, I really want the help. Thanks[/quote']

My go to lately are Edys SF Popsicles in the fruit flavors. The calories are a little bit higher but the taste is worth it. Also put clear polish on your nails. By the time they dry your head hunger should be gone. I have been polishing for about 25 years but my husband can't stand the smell. Good luck

Thank you for the,reply

I've been using hypnotherapy techniques to get at my emotional eating -- breathing and relaxation. Was surprised to find a hypnotherapist on my list of preferred providers from our insurance company -- it seems to be working for me. Maybe try some deep breathing or mindful meditation? Good luck to you and please don't ever hesitate to post. We are all in this together and many if not all of us are here because of emotional eating and the results of that.

Thank you bandista..I will try the breathing. IM always worrying I sound like a downer here. It's when I feel down I need the most help. Thank you for affirming me. It means alot!

Thank you bandista..I will try the breathing. IM always worrying I sound like a downer here. It's when I feel down I need the most help. Thank you for affirming me. It means alot!

You don't sound like a downer! You sound like you want some encouragement and advice, and that is the best part about this forum! Don't worry about posting when you feel down, that's why we're here! But don't forget to post when you have success with something (and you WILL!) because we want to cheer you on!!

I understand where you are coming from....whenever I am on the phone with my sister (which is rare... :unsure: ) I head straight to the snack cupboard. I realized what I was doing and purposefully stopped myself and headed to a room that was far from the kitchen. Over the past year I have had to do a lot of emotional growing...my sister and my relationship is the same...she is not interested in changing it, but I changed myself. Slowly. You can only change yourself, not other people. Knowing your triggers (ie my sister) helps. Deal with it head on. Make conscious decisions. It takes a while, but it will get better!

You say that you are seeing a therapist, but are you seeing an eating disorders therapist? I am a binge eater (emotional/stress/anxiety etc. etc.) and I saw an eating disorders therapist for a while. It made me realize a lot about myself, my family and my relationship with food. I would highly suggest it. I would also suggest the book "Overcoming Overeating: How to break the diet/binge cycle and live a healthier, more satisfying life" By Jane Hirschmann and Carol Munter. Best of luck, you can do this, and let us know how it goes.

I understand where you are coming from....whenever I am on the phone with my sister (which is rare... :unsure: ) I head straight to the snack cupboard. I realized what I was doing and purposefully stopped myself and headed to a room that was far from the kitchen. Over the past year I have had to do a lot of emotional growing...my sister and my relationship is the same...she is not interested in changing it, but I changed myself. Slowly. You can only change yourself, not other people. Knowing your triggers (ie my sister) helps. Deal with it head on. Make conscious decisions. It takes a while, but it will get better!

This is just what my issues have been -- eating as a response to a particular event, like you on the phone with your sister. Really looking for those triggers and noticing, noticing, noticing has helped me tremendously, even if my track record for changing up is not perfect. Here an example of one of mine:

Prior to a meeting -- don't need to prep with food beforehand. I'll be fine.

After a meeting -- no need to stop somewhere on my way home and get a little something as a reward. Slimming down is my reward and I'm not going to get there if I get myself treats.

Alone in the house -- do not go looking for food as entertainment. I need to find something else to do!