Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone - I'm very new here and haven't even talked to my doctor yet about possible surgery. I have an appt tomorrow. however, I am wondering about the strictness of the diet that is involved. I've tried every diet out there and since deciding to get healthy in 2010, I've lost and gained back nearly 100lbs. I know that I eat of out boredom or emotional eating. I am certian the lap band surgery isn't going to fix that...Is the LBS going to prevent me from that kind of eating because it won't fit? I know there is no true short cuts to weight loss, but I feel like I've been so unsuccessful in the past, how is LBS going to change that? Any advice would be great!

thank you!

Hi flipper,

LBS is not going to fix your emotional eating or mindless eating for you. To quote another, the band goes around your stomach not your head.

That said, LBS does help you to stay in control of the portion size that you consume to a degree, though that is not the true goal of LBS. It will help with the feelings of uncontrolled hunger, and offer a feeling of fullness faster then you might have them now.

The band is a tool that you must master. Just like a carpenter or a plumber can call themselves that from day one, but to be a true master of their craft they must master all the tools that they employee in their service.

You can be banded and never truly master your band. If you want to be successful and lose and keep that weight off for good then you must make that commitment to mastering the use of this tool.

It is not an impossible feat, there is a pre-op and post-op diet that require strict adherence. They consist of mainly liquid diets, and soft mushy foods building up to a regular diet of Protein and vegetables.

Take some time and research what the band is all about and see if you are able to make the full commitment that is required of patients under going this surgery.

Best of luck to you on your journey.

I find that the band controls the portion of certain foods, like bread, Pasta, rice (which we should limit to loose weight). However, you will still be able to eat all the ice cream you want. It is what is known as a slider food. Cakes, Cookies, milk shakes, candy are sliders too. So... unfortunately some pretty unhealthy foods will go down just fine. Also high calorie drinks like juice won't cause a problem. Just my experience, everybody's seems to be a little different. Good luck in your decision making process!

I agree with the previous posters but I'd like to add that if you follow the eating rules/guidelines, you won't be as hungry after meals which helps me to avoid snacking on bad foods. But it won't stop you from drinking 2 liters of soda a day or a lb of M&Ms.

Something that motivated me was just the fact I lost so much weight, and I'm confident it won't come back, is, feeling healthy, feeling thinner, fitting in my clothes and moving with much more ease, they replaced that empty space where only food would satisfy before.

One never knows until one tries. As another poster once said, "Sometimes to get where you want to go, you have to do what you are afraid to do. You must be brave and push forward. Miracles occur when you give as much attention and energy to your dreams as you do to your fears"

how successful you are or arent is based on yourself...

follow the how to use instructions for best results...and see what happens.

Hi everyone - I'm very new here and haven't even talked to my doctor yet about possible surgery. I have an appt tomorrow. however, I am wondering about the strictness of the diet that is involved. I've tried every diet out there and since deciding to get healthy in 2010, I've lost and gained back nearly 100lbs. I know that I eat of out boredom or emotional eating. I am certian the lap band surgery isn't going to fix that...Is the LBS going to prevent me from that kind of eating because it won't fit? I know there is no true short cuts to weight loss, but I feel like I've been so unsuccessful in the past, how is LBS going to change that? Any advice would be great!

thank you!

As others have already posted, there is a psychological side to our relationship with food. For success with weight loss, one must change their relationship with food. That means you eat to live, not live to eat. One should understand the core issues associated with understanding their eating habits and patterns to learn effective ways to manage their thoughts and feelings. Food is not the answer to anger, stress, or boredom.

Another consideration is understanding that habitual overeating can precipitate complications with your band and esophagus. All surgeries come with risks, and with the band, not following the rules of eating post op means a possible risk to your health and well being. Do some additional research so that you are aware of both the risks and benefits to make an informed decision

Whatever path you choose, best wishes...

Hi Flipper, you are in good company here as far as overeating and having tried everything. We have all been there. I am getting ready to be banded and it's been so helpful for me to be on this forum for a few months of really listening to different people's perspectives and stories. I also decided to get a therapist to go with me through the process and it's been good to pinpoint the trouble areas for me (stress eating, anxiety, prepping myself with food before something I don't want to do, etc.). Just identifying those things has helped me stop doing them -- the noticing is huge -- and I know when I get the band I will be able to stop and think if I have those old instincts to head out to the kitchen for "something." I really want to be healthy so much more than anything else. I can't wait to drop the weight I've been carrying for a long time, even though I know it's going to take a while and it will be a project. Still, I think it's going to be easier than what I have now, which is a daily battle with food intake and the consequences of overweight. Best wishes to you -- look forward to hearing how your appointment goes. Keep us posted!

I just banded a week ago. I had gastric bypass 14 yrs ago but drank some of it back on. Surgery is a tool. Helps with the capacity, not the compulsion. Now I have to stay away from alcohol and it's hard. Good luck. Guess if my self- esteem was better I would feel better. Still am a smart ass fat chick at heart. Kiss of death for relationships . :-(

I just banded a week ago. I had gastric bypass 14 yrs ago but drank some of it back on. Surgery is a tool. Helps with the capacity, not the compulsion. Now I have to stay away from alcohol and it's hard. Good luck. Guess if my self- esteem was better I would feel better. Still am a smart ass fat chick at heart. Kiss of death for relationships . :-(

Hey there, congratulations on your band over bypass. One day at a time! And here's to recovering self-esteem, to being clear and happy. I'm looking forward to that. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and gentle progress.

Hi there! I was banded 5 weeks ago. We all have food issues, that is why we are here. What really concerned me before surgery is that I felt like food was my hobby and if I took that away, who would I be? I didn't want to be deprived of things I liked (childish right?). What I have found after the surgery and now that I am on regular foods is that I have lost the desire to eat like I did before. Do I still have things I like, yes! Here is the difference, I love mexican food. I live in Texas so it is everywhere! Saturday night I went out for dinner and had ONE spinach enchilada and some guacamole and I was full (maybe a little too full). Before surgery I would have had at least one pina colada, basket of chips with queso, combo plate (rice, Beans, enchilada, taco, etc...) and of course dessert (tres leches). I could not eat all of that now if I wanted to but here is the thing, I don't have a desire to do that. I am feeling great, working out and eating to live, not living to eat. I LOVE being in control!

Just my thoughts.

Such wonderful thoughts. Sounds like you are in your zone! I envy you. ^_^

THank you all SO much for your responses. I'm having some issues navigating this site, so I apologize for the delay! But I've read all the responses..they're great! I did see my doctor and she pointed me in the direction of an information session I can attend...so I guess that's my first step. I'm very excited!

thank you all again! this is a great forum :D

Struggling now with this exact problem...I would opt for bypass. My Dr.agrees, wish I could go back and get the bypass the band is hard to follow if you are anything like me.

These are all inspiring posts. Thank you all You all are the reason for everyone's success. Reading they all responses is a great addiction that I look forward to daily. It keeps me motivated and brings me up when I feel down.

We are all going thru or have been thru the same issues.

Thank u all!