Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

I truly have mixed emotions on the subject....... I know I will most likely be fighting the battle in a few years as my sons half brother has it, and after learning a bit about the disease I truly think his father has it also, but not diagnosed........ the one thing that kids with TRUE adhd can do is to have a shot of caffiene in the mornings. Drugs work oposite in ADHD.. ie caffiene = mellow, that is why their medical drugs are all uppers. Also I would limit sugar and processed foods.... many many many studies have shown the ADHD is over diagnosed when in reality is just alergies to certain foods....... (think Red Dye) I will tell you this... I will be fighthing tooth and nail to keep my son off drugs. I know some teachers who swear by them because it does enable the child to learn and to not disrupt the rest of the class........ my son was even evaluted by the special education COOP in October and she told me that the fact that he could sit and play with a single toy (Mr. Potatoe Head) for a good twenty minutes told her that he did NOT have ADD or ADHD.. this was music to my ears.. and now he is in the Special Ed pre-K program so that he can learn to listen, and follow directions.. at 3 he has an IEP....his teacher and I both work with him as a team and it is my hope that we teach him how to be productive in a classroom setting so that he has the best start at school.. BEFORE they DEMAND he goes on DRUGS................. he is so much better behaved when he does not eat sugar... I do let him have a treat, but I do watch it... plus he will have the DNA to be heavy so that is another reason why I have him drink Water and milk and yes my crystal light in leui of pepsi and sugared koolaid as much as possible.

Tracy

Now that you mention it, my bf did the coffee thing with her daughter, we thought she was nuts at first giving a 7 year old coffee but it worked for a couple of years.

But, in the end as Terry said, the medication just did that much more and her grades are so much better. She is not medicated during the summer while not in school, the coffee is enough to help.

Terry and I must of been posting at the same time....... I want to make sure that my post doesn't come off as preachy... in Terry's son's case it WAS the cure for him and I would never question another parents choices.. as we are the ones who know our kids the best...... and if when the time comes for me to face medication or expulsion I will have to have a long chat or two with the doctor........ it really does worry me though... my sons bio is the poster child for Adult Undiagnosed ADHD... seriously in my Child development class we had a chapter on it and the handout explaining the symptoms/personality traits was him to a T.. not one, not three.. but each and every of the 20 items on the list.. and that scares me............ nature vs nurture... DNA vs Envirnonment.....

All I can say is that each parent has to do the research and really look at their child as an individual outside the womb. .... (and I admit, it may be easier said than done for me! :P )

p.s. Terry: Thank goodness he is on his way to recovery and dealing with the pressures of school and peers without resorting to the illegal side of it.

This is driving me crazy! I've had the hiccups for the past few hours. Each time I hiccup I feel like I want to throw up. Did this happen to anyone right after a fill? I had them yesterday too but not this bad. They are making my whole chest area and my upper back hurt. I tried holding my breath, drinking Water. NOTHING is helping...

I've not had it happen to me yet, but I've heard of this happening to others. A fill can irritate your diaphragm, and in turn cause hiccups. They should go away soon hopefully! I HATE to hiccup!!

I went back a few pages and caught up on posts!

I am on liquids due to my fill and I am wanting to CHEW something and those recipes BOTH of them sound like pure heaven! I will be making those nuts for sure... (I love crock pot cooking) the salad is right up my alley too............ YUM!

I am IN on the exercise challenge...

Judy: Good luck with your fills today! and YOU LOOK MARVELOUS!

OK.. I'm going to bed with a growling tummy ..... gnight Violets!

You didn't sound preachy at all, Tracy. It simply illustrates the difficulty of the decision and that in the end each parent has to decide what is best for their child in their own set of circumstances! For my DS, his symptoms didn't really start until puberty hit, then the depression followed and our world was suddenly in massive turmoil! His situation is totally different than yours. I would definitely have a difficult time medicating a smaller child just beginning school. If it were me I'm sure I'd try everything else in the book before resorting to medication. With my son we were running out of time and his future was at stake. Flunking out of high school was not one of the options were were willing to mess around with. I just thank God every day that he is better.

Hi Everyone! How are you all doing? I have been missing you and all the inspirational posts. I have been busy with school and work and getting the kids off to their dads for the rest of the summer. I read some of the posts to catch-up and it sounds like most everyone is doing well! I am still not at the right "spot" and have lost and gained the same two pounds since surgery. URGH! I know i am eating way less and have started at curves and have gone faithfully 3x a week for three weeks now and still...................... yep you guessed it.... NOTHING. I am going in to get my third fill tomorrow and i can't wait I am going to really make him fill me until i can barely swallow... ok maybe not that extreme, but you get the picture. I will let you know how it goes, so far i have been filled twice and i am at 3.1cc's seems like i should be losing but..... but.... but... that is the story of my life.

I have missed you all..........

TerriDoodle,

I am so glad that your DS is doing great on his meds. That shows you made the right decision and that is the hardest job as a parent. Will he have to take them for life or is it a temporary thing?

TerriDoodle,

I am so glad that your DS is doing great on his meds. That shows you made the right decision and that is the hardest job as a parent. Will he have to take them for life or is it a temporary thing?

Thanks, Angie. :P We just have to wait and see. The doctor said that sometimes they can discontinue them once they've past all that hormone craziness....maybe like his early 20's.

<p><p>Good morning violets...</p> <p>Don't you just love it when...you wake up and start getting dressed and realize that the clothes you picked out are falling off of you? That is what happened to me this morning!!! YAY! I swear that it was only maybe a week and a half or 2 weeks ago that I wore those jeans and now?...no way...it looks like a family of 6 moved out!!! What a wonderful feeling!! I just thought I would share that...</p> <p> </p> <p>Everyone have a great day!</p></p> <p> </p> <p>P.S. Down to 220.5 this morning!!!!</p>

Morning everyone

Tracyk - I need to catch up, congrats on the loss, I'm still stuck between 226-228 and just can't lose

So that brings up my next question - I have been working hard at the gym and since, I am finding that I seem to be getting full quicker again, hungry all the time, but full last night on 1 1/2 oz chicken and 3/4 cup lettuce, but then hungry 2 hrs later. Plus, I've been having food get stuck so much easier. Do you all think there might be anyway that there might be some kind of connection? I'm going to try to do liquids for the next couple of days to try to heal whatever is going on.

It is very frustrating

Morning everyone

Tracyk - I need to catch up, congrats on the loss, I'm still stuck between 226-228 and just can't lose

So that brings up my next question - I have been working hard at the gym and since, I am finding that I seem to be getting full quicker again, hungry all the time, but full last night on 1 1/2 oz chicken and 3/4 cup lettuce, but then hungry 2 hrs later. Plus, I've been having food get stuck so much easier. Do you all think there might be anyway that there might be some kind of connection? I'm going to try to do liquids for the next couple of days to try to heal whatever is going on.

It is very frustrating

The first thing that comes to mind is that you may just need to eliminate lettuce - many people have problems with it, especially iceburg. Was the chicken dark or white meat? And have you maybe gotten 'sloppy' about chewing really well and eating slowly? I can get more food in if I eat slower, letting each bite settle before taking the next one. I haven't noticed any connection to my workouts and restriction.

You don't seem to eat many calories, Jenn. Do you count them? I'm wondering if maybe you've stalled a bit because you need MORE. Have yourself a bit of a pig-out day for a couple of days and see what happens. Not on junk, of course, but just up your calories to 1500-1800 for 2-3 days then back down. It works for me sometimes. Your body adapts to the same ol thing and you need to shake things up from time to time. I know you know all this already....feel like I'm preaching to the choir!

Terry

You are not preaching... and I have been rushing everywhere lately so maybe I need to pay attention to my chewing.

I have not really had a pig out day at all, I am getting about 1200 cals on a bad day and that was all my dr wanted me to have. I am not eating a lot but feel hungry all the time (or every couple hrs)

I have an appt today, I wanted to reschedule so I could be in the 90day period where I didn't have to pay co-pays and today was the only day. Maybe I can get a fill and start working my way back to normal. I am going to stick to liquids for a few days either way so I can relax and fell like I'm starting over, paying attention.

No iceburg, and it is white chicken, but I cook it and it is nice an juicy, I've mastered that one. LOL

OMG I bought these Turkey Mignon's from Schwans and they were DIVINE! If any of you have access to Schwans, I recommend these little tasty meals! All that I did was season them a little with Mrs. Dash, and Cayenne Pepper (we like spicy food!), and my hubby (the picky eater he is) loved them! YUM!

By the way, I'm back on track - Back down to 231.8. It seems that if my calorie intake goes above 1000 I gain weight. My BMI must be REALLY low right now! And I'm more active than I have been in a LONG time! Go figure...<table style="width: 242px; height: 438px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td> Calories 220

Calories from Fat 72

</td> </tr> <tr> <td>% Daily Value<sup>*</sup>

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Total Fat 8.0g

</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="indent"> Saturated Fat 3.0g

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Cholesterol 85mg

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Sodium 690m

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Total Carbohydrates 3.0

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> Protein 35.0g

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 7px;"> <td bgcolor="#000000">

</td> </tr> <tr> <td> <table class="vitamins" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td>Vitamin A 0%</td> <td align="center">•</td> <td align="right">Vitamin C 0%</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Calcium 0%</td> <td align="center">•</td> <td align="right">Iron 10%</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Hi girls---just here for a minute to ask that you please pray for my little granddaughter. They put her in the hospital last night. As soon as she began to move around, everything I had managed to get into her come up. They have her on IV now, and are watching her blood. The concern has turned from a gastro infection to a possibility of an intestinal blockage. Each time she takes anything by mouth it comes back up. The concerning issue is that she does not have any diarhea with the nausea, which is unusual, and is what is making them think possible blockage. Her name is Kinsey--she is 2 1/2, and she owns my heart----please remember her in your prayers. I will update you as soon as we know anything.

Thanks --- I am so glad y'all are out there!!

Kat

Kat -

done, she is in my prayers. Poor little thing. Hopefully it is just the very strange viral thing that was going around here, same type of issues, vomit only.

Please keep us updated - I was there when my sone was 2 1/2 and I know how scary it is, I was a basketcase

lots of love and prayers