Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Week Post Op - Down 87.5lbs

I am one week post op and having leg and feet cramps. Is anyone else having that problem? I can't possibly drink more fluids than I do right now unless I get up in the middle of the night. Has anyone gone through this? My doc appt is Friday and I will be sure to bring it up but until then, any thoughts?

I am one week post op and having leg and feet cramps. Is anyone else having that problem? I can't possibly drink more fluids than I do right now unless I get up in the middle of the night. Has anyone gone through this? My doc appt is Friday and I will be sure to bring it up but until then, any thoughts?

Ok having phone issues. I am trying to reply about the leg/foot cramps. I had a few after surgery but I have had them in the past as well. It is typically low potassium and I have discovered the most amazing cure. It's drinking Pickle Juice. Just a few sips and it instantly goes away. You don't have to drink gallons of it. It might sound gross but I swear it works. My nephew has grown so fast, he is 6 ft tall and only 13, he would get leg cramps terrible so I told him to try it and it also worked instantly. So give it a try and let us know!

Amazing and thank you for sharing.

I have put off for a long time posting about my GB experience. But I had my 10 week post op appointment today and thought I would post about my journey to this point. My hope is that this will be inspiring to those of you who may be considering this procedure or those of your who may have just had it done and find that your are struggling with some aspect.

I started off last July at my heaviest... 334lbs. I am only 6'1" and my BMI was nearly 45. I should mention that I am 40 years old. I began with the dietician and lost all the way down to 316lbs the day of surgery. My surgery was on November 5' date=' 2012. As of today, I am down to 246lbs. The most amazing part in this whole process is getting to shop for new clothes. Now I am a guy, and I have never EVER been into shopping for clothes. That has changed. I find it exciting that I used to wear a size 42-44 pants and 3XL shirts and now I wear 34-36 pants and XL and some L size shirts. But that isn't the best part.... the best part is I am off of ALL my meds. I don't take any blood pressure meds, not more diabetes meds, not more thyroid meds and because I don't have massive headaches constantly I don't take any more pain meds. My energy levels are through the roof and really feel great.

The process after the surgery was really the hard part. I started out thinking that it would be easy. I had read all of the literature. I had watched all the videos and most importantly I had lurked around the forums to see what I could see and learn what I could learn. I felt prepared. I have learned that I can read all about people sipping Water all day, I can imagine what that will be like, but in reality, I found that early on - it was a struggle. But as I sit here today, drinking my Decaf iced tea... it isn't such a big deal. I figured out what works for me and I made it happen. The same goes with my eating. I found the foods that work for me. And I found out the ways that I can eat them without ticking off my pouch. Did I just say "ticking off my pouch"? You bet I did. That is the other part I had to learn. Often times it seemed like early on, my pouch had a mind all of it's own. One day it would be ok with a food, the next time I had it, the pouch will have decided that it wasn't a fan of the particular food and it would complain. Nothing too drastic, but I got the message.

Where I am going with this is pretty simple. It is tough. It isn't easy. But if each and everyone of us who decides that this is the route we want to take to get our lives back, can be a little more prepared for the ups and the downs, then I have been successful in sharing with you. It is important to remember that we all will have good days and we will have bad days. In my short 10 week experience, the good days are becoming great days and I can't remember the last bad day I had. For most of us I suspect that life after GB surgery, goes on and things will become easier and easier with each day that passes. And that is the part to remember. We have all suffered through the nausea and all the other issues that we have had to put up with, but remember, we made this decision and in my case, I made the decisions that led me to be overweight in the first place.

I want to wrap up with you by sharing my thoughts on how I have managed to cope with missing my good friend - FOOD! I quickly learned that for me - food was an addiction. Just like an addiciton that one may have to Cocaine or perhaps even cigarettes. Once I realized that my biggest problem was an addiction, I began to "treat" myself like an addict. Food became something that I did for survival and for nourishment whereas before - food was something I did for sport. I can no longer ever go back to "sport eating" again. I have worked too hard to get the weight off and I will keep the weight off. I refuse to be one of the twenty percent of us that put the weight back on in the next ten years.

So I have spent a lot of time rambling- and if you are still reading at this point then good for you. I appreciate you taking the time out to let me tell the story and share with you. If you are reading this and having issues or questions about your own weight loss, give me a shout. I don't know all the answers and lets face it - I only have 10 weeks experience at this. But hey - were all in this together aren't we?

I have attached a couple of pictures... the first one is taken of me and my son when he left for college in August of last year. The second was taken a few weeks ago when I was at 260lbs. I haven't taken any since. But I will soon.

Take care,

Andy H.[/quote']

Wow... Thank you. I am worried about my GB Surg and my food issues. I never realized I was a stress eater, not necessarily w unhealthy food all the time but eating and not being active and as the weight piled on I found it difficult to exercise due to health reasons and though my weight didn't seem too much to others my body began to break down inside. Now my brain is impacted and things it controls and the thyroid is messed up due to dyes and meds from over 30 Hosp visits in past 1 1/2 years. I have learned a lesson. A hard one. God bless you and your journey. You have much to be thankful for. I pray that my journey is a success as well... Bye

Awesome! Keep it up. I just had surgery last Monday and it seems as if it might be a slow losing process for me as I haven't lost any weight since surgery. But' date=' I remain hopeful and very thankful that I have no nasuea, throwing up, weakness, etc. I'm able to eat my foods listed in my guide and consume my Water. I'm off my bp medicine as well....left the hospital with instructions to come off.

Thank you for sharing. Very inspired.[/quote']

I hope you continue to improve and that I inherit your lack of post Surg issues

Ok having phone issues. I am trying to reply about the leg/foot cramps. I had a few after surgery but I have had them in the past as well. It is typically low potassium and I have discovered the most amazing cure. It's drinking pickle juice. Just a few sips and it instantly goes away. You don't have to drink gallons of it. It might sound gross but I swear it works. My nephew has grown so fast' date=' he is 6 ft tall and only 13, he would get leg cramps terrible so I told him to try it and it also worked instantly. So give it a try and let us know![/quote']

Will remember thanks!

Way to go!! You are certainly an inspiration!!!

You look great. I read your post beginning to end. Every single word you said describe me. I'm not going to regain a few years down the road. I made a life change & I'm sticking to it.

Thanks just what I needed to read as I sit here waiting to see my surgeon and schedule my surgery. I have been back and fourth should I or shouldn't I RNY or sleeve. I hope it works out for me as good as it has for you. Nice to see another man on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

When I get cramps I'm usually dehydrated and I take a teaspoon of mustard and they go away

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

When I get cramps I'm usually dehydrated and I take a teaspoon of mustard and they go away

Thanks, saw the doc today and he said the I was dehydrated. What does mustard have in it that helps with this?

Thanks for sharing.

I have no idea just something I was told