Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Underwear During Surgery?

I can honestly say I hadn't even thought about this issue *blink*blink*:faint:

yeah, makes me a bit uneasy, but I see why they have to do it. And I'm with most of the others....whatever they gotta do, i'm game for it. At this point, I'm at the "hurry up and wait" part (went today to drop off all my info for my insurance packet...waiting on approval now...).

When I get approved, I won't care...in fact, I don't think it'll hit me what I'm doing/having done until after I wake up from surgery!! LOL. It still seems like a dream that I'm finally making it happen! So it won't be until I'm in pain from the surgery that it'll sink in that "oh my gosh, I finally got it done!!!" ya know? LOL.

But good luck!!!:clap2:

I am sure it is also so they don't get in the way. Just like they have you talk off all jewelry. They don't want equipment or anything else to snag on something that shouldn't be there to start with.

And yea, I laughed out load at Wheetsin's answer too. :-)

As I think someone else mentioned, it has to do with the sterile environment, and undies aren't exactly sterile. I didn't have anything on under the gown, but I'm pretty sure they drape all but the area they are working on.
A good friend of mine once said, "When I was younger, I used to want to be reincarnated as a pair of women's underwear. Until I lived with a woman, and saw what their underwear look like."

Yeah, as someone else mentioned, you're naked under the drape. The gown you get doesn't stay on. Everyone in the room is a trained medical professional and looking at you naked isn't going to be their priority.

If you're determined to wear your underwear, best of luck to you, but I don't see it happening. But you won't remember it, and you'll have bigger things on your mind anyway. :)

A good friend of mine once said, "When I was younger, I used to want to be reincarnated as a pair of women's underwear. Until I lived with a woman, and saw what their underwear look like."

LOL-now there's great example of the difference between fantasy and reality.

Hi, I was given a pair of paper undies with elastic in them to wear just like Babygotback did also. The medical staff are there only to operate on you and are very professional. I don't think it is wrong to feel modest and conservative in this regard though. Susannah

Well after giving birth to two babies I've gotta say,so many doctors have seen my 'flower' surely a couple more won't harm!:)

I too was given the oh so stylish paper undies....I wore them with my head held high. I had the paper gown to match, guess what I woke up in a cotton gown, so someone changed me in the process. I could have cared less....I had to go comando for my gall bladder removal, different hospital, different proceedure. I joked that if they didn't give me the versaid (sp?) very soon I was going to run and everyone in the waiting room would see my fat white nekkid ass. I was given the happy drugs, so fst it would make your head spin. Of course I went out laughing about running nekkid through the waiting room, made for a great recovery. I actually woke up laughing. Don't worry about the undies thing. We've all been there. ~Mandy

Our big ol' bodies are what keep these folks in business....

That's along the lines of what I was going to say. This isn't an ear, nose, and throat doctor ... this is a doctor that sees fat bodies everyday. I'd rather be naked in front of him than any other doctor I can think of.

I've watched 2 or 3 Band surgeries on or-live.com and the doctors always stand on the side - not between your legs. And the only area of your body not covered by that paper, is your tummy.

My fear is having surgery at "that time of the month" I had an operation when I was 13 and had only been having my period for about a year at that point - I was mortified when they just stuck a pad between my legs and told me not to worry about it. :heh:

Hi,

Me again - maybe I'm was just feeling a bit prudish today but I have definitely seen a photo of a lapband op where the person was in a chair thing with legs in stirrups and the doctor in between - that was just the mental picture I was going with.

Seems to be a mixed response anyway with paper knickers and no knickers (so fingers crossed).

Thanks,

Hi,

Me again - maybe I'm was just feeling a bit prudish today but I have definitely seen a photo of a lapband op where the person was in a chair thing with legs in stirrups and the doctor in between - that was just the mental picture I was going with.

Seems to be a mixed response anyway with paper knickers and no knickers (so fingers crossed).

Thanks,

I remember seeing links that showed the surgeon also standing between the patients legs, with the table tipped so they could have good access to the stomach area. When I saw that, it kind of weirded me out too.

I was on a table with a triangle pad thing under my lower back, think doing a back bend with support. The equipment was placed above my head so I assume he was at my side, if he were between my legs he would not be able to reach the equipment. ~Mandy

Different surgeons have different choices, is saw one clip that showed the surgeon standing between the legs but it was a feamle surgeon who was not very tall so it would have been the best position for her to reach everything properly. But most of the stand at the side.

I have worked in theatre as an RN in the past and if they insist on no underwear, they will often allow the paper ones as long as you understand you may wake up without them eg if they have decided to pop a catheter in during the procedure. The paper ones are easy for staff to remove if needed.

but as has already been said, you will be so covered up in green drapes that the only thing they will see is you abdomen and they will not "expose" you at all until you are under.

Gosh, after having had 3 babies, they can look all they want anyway. I have no modesty or dignity left!

LOL! now i don't know what i am more freaked about - being nekkie or having kids!!! :faint:

When I had my first surgery when i was like 13 I told the doctor that i didn't want to take off my underwear. He replied no prob. we take them off when your under. So if it would make you feel better ask if they can take it off after you are out. But honestly once they give you the happy meds you will not care who sees you naked. And seeing a naked person does not phase them in the least. So all in all don't worry about it.