Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Underwear During Surgery?

Hi,

I've just found out that underwear (knickers/panties) are not allowed to be worn during surgery at the hospital that I am having my surgery at.

I don't feel completely happy with this idea especially as the surgeon gets to stand between one's legs to during the surgery anyway! Ewww.

Is this the norm? I would have thought paper pants would be more hygenic than commando!!!

It's perfectly normal. They see so much that I don't think they really look anymore. :) Anyway, you will be asleep so don't worry. Just something to endure to get the surgery.

Guest Krysia

It's the norm.

Surgeons/hospitals want as fewer outside contaminants as possible in the OR.

Hi,

I've just found out that underwear (knickers/panties) are not allowed to be worn during surgery at the hospital that I am having my surgery at.

I don't feel completely happy with this idea especially as the surgeon gets to stand between one's legs to during the surgery anyway! Ewww.

Is this the norm? I would have thought paper pants would be more hygenic than commando!!!

We had this exact same conversation on the january thread a while back. None of us had surgery with our doctor between our legs. I also got a pair of paper underwear with elastic strings on the sides. very cute!

I didn't have on any panties, but I don't know where he was standing during my surgery. If you are knocked out for it, how do you know?

No undies here. And I didn't care in the least. Underwear was the farthest thing from my mind. I mean - if I didn't mind laying there with no bra on, and my flab hanging all over the table, a naked pooty in the room with medical professionals certainly wasn't going to phase me. I mean - I have paps, and there the person is trying to look... during the surgery, any sight would be incidental.

Never heard of doing the surgery between someone's legs. My incisions are too high up, there's no way unless someone was laying on top of me.

No panties for me they told me the reason was becasue they would insert a cathader and sure enough when I woke up yep there was one in.

Seeeeeee that is the problem im having. In no way shape or form am i taking off my underwear, when he wont be anywhere near my hoo ha. Why in the world does my underwear need to come off for him to cut my stomach? I feel the same way when you go into the hospital for lets say a head ahce. They tell you take EVERYTHING off and put a gown on. Now why on earth do i need to take my underwear off and socks for you to check my head for a head ache? Its ridiculous i tell you. No need for it. My underwear arent going anywhere, and i will fight!!!!! Im just a tough patient hehe. Oh well. They are afterall MY underwear.

~Hotpink~

Well guess what? I wasn't wearing "panties"! No skivvy shorts either....

As far as between the legs? The darned table I was on was so narrow there was no way my legs could have been spread without them dropping down!

I've watched the video that is posted on this sight and it appears the Dr and all of the nurses are standing at your side.

So don't worry about this small aspect. Look at the benefit you will gain (or should I say lose?).............Jimboss

Seeeeeee that is the problem im having. In no way shape or form am i taking off my underwear, when he wont be anywhere near my hoo ha. Why in the world does my underwear need to come off for him to cut my stomach? I feel the same way when you go into the hospital for lets say a head ahce. They tell you take EVERYTHING off and put a gown on. Now why on earth do i need to take my underwear off and socks for you to check my head for a head ache? Its ridiculous i tell you. No need for it. My underwear arent going anywhere, and i will fight!!!!! Im just a tough patient hehe. Oh well. They are afterall MY underwear.

~Hotpink~

As I think someone else mentioned, it has to do with the sterile environment, and undies aren't exactly sterile. I didn't have anything on under the gown, but I'm pretty sure they drape all but the area they are working on. And they've seen it all. I don't think I have anything new for them?! :heh:

I figure I said I would do almost anything to lose this weight, if being naked in an operating room, when I'm not even awake for it, is something I need to do, then it's something I do. Ok, did.

And how high up do your undies come? They have to make 4 or 5 incisions. One is a little lower than the others. They don't want to have to rearrange your underwear to comfortably get to the area they want to work around. They swap you with that iodine mixture as well to make the area sterile. They don't want to have to care what will get in the way.

As my friend always says when I'm obsessing over something "Get over it". It really isn't a big deal and they really could care less. They don't want anything to get in their way or if there's an emergency. As others have said they need a sterile environment. Do you think they keep that surgical gown on you that you wear in there?

Which reminds me, wear comfortable undies there so you will have them when you leave. Nothing tight. Also, I went home without a bra on, at their recommendation. I didn't wear a bra for a couple of days. Comfort over modesty in that case.

Hotpink...

as a surgical tech, I can assure you that he won't be looking at anything down under (wink, wink) .

A surgical sheet will only expose the area the surgeon is going to be working at. Not only that, many times a cathether is inserted to keep the bladder empty.So, it is necessary to take off the undies.You can ask the Dr, to give you some paper ones. Don't worry the doc won't operate between your legs, but at your side. What the heck, very few people have perfect bodies anyway!! You won't get nothing but compliments by the time the stitches need to come off !! You'll be showing your girlish figure with pride !!!

Don't let your hoo ha worry!!!! You rule girl, let the panties go!!!

Never heard of doing the surgery between someone's legs. My incisions are too high up, there's no way unless someone was laying on top of me.

Now that puts my mind at rest, NOT, lol.

Seriously though, who cares. I was allowed to leave my undies on though, as long as I wore cotton and they told me to wear an old pair becuase they'd probably get betadine all over them, which they didnt. But I was surprised I was allowed to.

They drape you all over and just have the bit they're working on exposed, not your whole naked glory.

Our big ol' bodies are what keep these folks in business....they've got to love them (in a financial way, of course). They are interested only in our bellies, not our hoo-hoo's. Unless of course yours is something really special....LOL!! I figured mine looked like everybody else's.

I don't want any panties or anything else getting in the doc's way when he's working on my innards! My granny panties would definitely have created at problem for him and the instruments he's wielding.