Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Underwear During Surgery?

I had two c-sections and I wasn't able to wear undies for that for obvious reasons and the minute I was on the table and numb I found my gown around my neck and I wasn't even covered up yet and people were walking all around me in and out the door and I was stark naked from my neck down and one of the nurses in the room was my cousin. I know I wasn't covered yet because my husband made the comment that he didn't know he was going to get a peep show too. I was awake for the entire procedure and knew what was going on too.

Surgeons/doctors say they have seen it all.

Good luck on your surgery. You won't even think about not having undies on when your weight starts falling off.

Guest Krysia

How the heck are they going to get my ass off the gurney and onto the operating table? Gumby on a cracker, good thing I won't be awake for the humiliation of them not having enough nurses on the clock to heave-ho me over there!

You're awake for that part. You help them by scooting over to the operating table when they ask you to.

Then they get you positioned and relatively comfortable, then the anesthesiologist hooks you up with The Good Stuff, and no more worries.

Damn it, Wheetsin! I'm just a few days post-op, and it hurts like hell to laugh. The Sean Connery comment.... I couldn't agree more!!!

Sean Connery? Hmmmm. Doesn't do much for me. But replace him with Cameron Diaz..........Whew. Melt my butter darlin.

You're awake for that part. You help them by scooting over to the operating table when they ask you to.
Oh, yeah, NOW I know that. I didn't when I got my band, until I was in there and he told me to scootch on over.

So I did, and I was too tall for the table, and some of my last conscious memory is of the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist arguing over how to make the table longer.

Guest Krysia

So I did, and I was too tall for the table, and some of my last conscious memory is of the anesthesiologist and nurse anesthetist arguing over how to make the table longer.

LMAO!

I think my last concious memory was something along the lines of:

OR nurse adjusting the arm table so my arm rests more comfortably.

Me (while watching her): You mean I won't have to assume the Jesus Christ pose? (The one taken for my three previous surgeries, all c-sections.)

OR Staff (laughing): Nope.

Anesthesiologist: Okay, I'm giving you the sleep medicine now.

Me: Very cool.

Zzzzzzz...

Have you given birth? Not one shred of dignity left after that. Not only are you spread-eagled in the stirrups, but when you "push" it isn't at all unusual to poop at the same time - right there on the table. And two of my kids were born at a teaching hospital, which means interns and residents all lined up at the end of the table - looking REALLY young. Like just out of high school young. Very disconcerting.

I was also allowed to keep my underwear during the operation, but a couple of nurses looked inside what I had down there unshamefully. I was half awake, was just getting narcoz (spell). One of the same nurses took care of me well after the operation, she was always around me. She kept a smile on my face, I forgot about the pain thinking about her. I had the surgery in Romania, what they did is not quite normal around here,but again the personel is not very professional. She was really cute though, I was not emberessed (spell??), but was pleased to tell you the truth.

Oh God, now I'm freaked out because I'm pretty sure I'll have my period on surgery day. Should I bring this up to their attention? Add it to the list of my worries....thank God I got put on these anti-anxiety pills!:)

Not to gross you out, but I did have mine the day of surgery. Luckily it was on the lighter side, because I too couldn't wear my panties. I also had to remove all feminine products... Was uncomfortable about it at first, but I wanted to be thin, wasn't gonna let it hold me up if it wasn't gonna stop them!!!!

If its yourTOM tell the staff and they will gve you a pad- OT staff are very focused on the job in hand- getting you positioned and preped correctly for the proceudre, protecting your airway, maintaining your IV etc etc- A professonal team is not going to ingnore the important tasks and focus on your hoo ha!

Anesthesiologist: Okay, I'm giving you the sleep medicine now.

Me: Very cool.

Zzzzzzz...

I think they lied to me. Here're the very last things I remember:

I'm laying on the table, they're still trying to make the table long enough and someone else is putting compression thingies on my legs.

Anesthesiologist: I'm just going to give you some oxygen... (mask goes on crooked)

Thinking to myself: Great, with the mask on crooked I'm NEVER going to go under, all the gas will leak out. Doesn't he know what he's doing? What a dumba...... zzzzzzz...

(I never had "oxygen" put me to sleep before.)

BTW, the Happy juice they gave me kind of removed what little filter I have to begin with. And made me a "little"...weird. I was apaprently being very sarcastic and very critical. I don't remember much of this, but I hear it from my husband and parents. I had my surgery on Ash Wednesday, which has no significance to me so it's not something I was really aware of. Add to that the effects of the medication. I had two nurses near me with the ash crosses on their foreheads. Apparently I told one of them her tattoo was stupid and made her look like Charles Manson, she shoud tell her tattooist they owe her a lot more than a refund. :)

The other was in recovery, and I kind of berated her, but I have only the faintest memories of it - telling her that she should be ashamed of herself, working in surgery and coming to work that dirty... grime smudged all over her forehead... and I told her she needed to go wash herself before she gave me an infection. :rolleyes

BTW, the Happy juice they gave me kind of removed what little filter I have to begin with. And made me a "little"...weird. I was apaprently being very sarcastic and very critical. I don't remember much of this, but I hear it from my husband and parents. I had my surgery on Ash Wednesday, which has no significance to me so it's not something I was really aware of. Add to that the effects of the medication. I had two nurses near me with the ash crosses on their foreheads. Apparently I told one of them her tattoo was stupid and made her look like Charles Manson, she shoud tell her tattooist they owe her a lot more than a refund. :D

The other was in recovery, and I kind of berated her, but I have only the faintest memories of it - telling her that she should be ashamed of herself, working in surgery and coming to work that dirty... grime smudged all over her forehead... and I told her she needed to go wash herself before she gave me an infection. :rolleyes

That made me snort! If I had been drinking anything, it would have been all over the computer.:)

Way back in the olden days when I was pregnant with my DD, my OB/GYN's office had a very ornate wooden box right inside the entry way ---there were 2 sets of doors, and it was inside the first set, just before entering the office. Painted onto the side was "Modesty"...the sign above said something about dropping your modesty off here on your way in and picking it up on your way out!!! I have always taken that attitude with me since then when seeing a Dr. or going to a hospital. I figure if I have something different than everyone else then we both (the Dr. and I) need to know!!!

I had no panties on for surgery, only a gown, and it was untied, ready to be removed....and like was said before, the operating table was so narrow, there is no way in hell anything got between my legs----besides it was so friggin' cold I'm sure I was stuck in position anyway.

Someone on here has a line in their signature that says:

"Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff"

Maybe if you don't----he won't!!!

Kat