Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I started telling people at work about my surgery. I tell a doctor\work friend, who also struggles with weight, and this is his reply: (Starts out awkward, ends with a bang.)

"So you are literally going to be a fraction of yourself? Good for you! I had to lose weight, but I DID IT THE HARD WAY--diet and exercise."

Seriously?! RNY is EASY?!?!?

with all of the pain i go through, RNY is definitely not easy in any way. but i sure am glad that it exists. RNY will make diet and exercise more effective.

wishing everyone the best of success!

In the beginning I only told a few people and it was great. Just recently I have informed everyone and I have been getting mixed reviews especially from one of my best girlfriends. It is heart breaking but you know that making a decision like this is probably the hardest thing we can do. This isn't something we can decide to do and in the end just forget that we had this done. Shame on him for starting out positive and ending like he did. I am proud of you for taking the steps to make a better you and a more healthy you :D

Thank you! I have had mostly supportive reactions. I just thought this was an interesting reaction, especially coming from a psychiatrist.

I told my best friend that I was gonna have surgery and her response was " I've never not seen you as a big girl. I don't know what I'm gonna think of you as not fat". Than she proceeded to tell me that when I was pregnant that I didn't look pregnant.just looked really fat

I told my best friend that I was gonna have surgery and her response was " I've never not seen you as a big girl. I don't know what I'm gonna think of you as not fat". Than she proceeded to tell me that when I was pregnant that I didn't look pregnant.just looked really fat

Wow! What a friend.

People say the stupidiest stuff. And yes coming from someone in the medical field coupled with having struggles of their own you would think that it would be a person who could encourage you and give you advice, not dismissing what you have done as the EASY way. Makes my blood boil. Because this isn't easy. There is not one dag gone thing easy about this. From the beginning with just checking it out and making the decision to jumping through the hoops and waiting and hoping to be approved and then preparing for the surgery. Most people who depend just on diet and exercise have already stopped and started a new diet or exercise program in the length of time it takes us to get surgery. Then there is the surgery and the recuperation and the trying to drink and eat and get Vitamins in and pain. Add in the emotional and hormonal changes. EASY. If this is easy I sure would hate to see what hard is.

And to the friend who really doesn't get it and said something so rude as I have never known you as not fat, I want to slap her. Ok stepping down from my soapbox. Big Hugs to all of us. Cause we need all the encouragement we can give each other. Because I am convinced no one understands like each of us what we are going through.

It's all so bizarre to me. The ones that say this is he easy way are the same ones usually that say oh my "friend of a friend" had this done and it didn't work they gained all there weight back. Well if it was so darn easy then why didn't it work??? Ugh

I think we look at it as a tool to help us, where those that are not considering WLS surgery just believe that we will eat smaller amounts of whatever we want and everything will be fine. They have no concept of what actually happens.

As soon as I am healed from this surgery, I will be having a very serious hip revision surgery. So serious, that my surgeon and his partner cancelled it the day of surgery saying that it needs to be done in a larger hospital with full access to all types of equipment. I had an appointment with the new ortho doc on 1/8 but as my RNY is now 1/4, I rescheduled for 3/1 to schedule the hip revision. I am hoping whatever weight I have lost by the time of that surgery will make it easier on me and the docs. Any surgery is complicated by obesity and I am doing this for my health, not my looks. I am 60-years-old and that simply does not matter anymore! :)

People can say the darndest things, but we KNOW what we are really undertaking.

Being thankful for RNYTalk and Obesityhelp for my only outside support! :wub:

Blessings!

Lynn

Yeah...not nice! Good Riddance.

People say the stupidiest stuff. And yes coming from someone in the medical field coupled with having struggles of their own you would think that it would be a person who could encourage you and give you advice' date=' not dismissing what you have done as the EASY way. Makes my blood boil. Because this isn't easy. There is not one dag gone thing easy about this. From the beginning with just checking it out and making the decision to jumping through the hoops and waiting and hoping to be approved and then preparing for the surgery. Most people who depend just on diet and exercise have already stopped and started a new diet or exercise program in the length of time it takes us to get surgery. Then there is the surgery and the recuperation and the trying to drink and eat and get Vitamins in and pain. Add in the emotional and hormonal changes. EASY. If this is easy I sure would hate to see what hard is.

And to the friend who really doesn't get it and said something so rude as I have never known you as not fat, I want to slap her. Ok stepping down from my soapbox. Big Hugs to all of us. Cause we need all the encouragement we can give each other. Because I am convinced no one understands like each of us what we are going through.[/quote']

Well said...

I don't think a lot of people truly understand what this surgery is and does. I have been very open about my surgery to people, and when people ask was the surgery hard I always say no the actual surgery was easy it has been after that has been so hard. Then they ask is it because you can't eat like you used to, and I say no not really. I am never hungry and eating is not a big deal anymore, but the mental side of things of been very hard. They usually look at me very confused and I explain that eating is mainly in your head. My head still think my stomach is normal, and trying to get over that has been the hardest thing I have ever done. You never really realize how much food is shoved down our throats in advertising. Two days after surgery and seeing someone on tv eating a pizza which is what I wanted so bad was pure torture. You have arguments with you mind and stomach. I have let the mind win a few times and my stomach always fought back by making me sick. It is a daily struggle and not something you can just turn off.