Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits' February Challenge

Well I just got home from the gym - did my marathon today......NIA for an hour, 1/2 hour of core, 1 hour of Group Power (weight lifting to music). This stuff is not for sissies! I'm up this week 1 1/2 lbs - go figure - guess those liquid calories in Palm Springs did not help. I've got to get busy if I'm going to make it to 'overweight' by April 7th!

Dawn, look at you..........."onederland" is right around the corner!

I'm going to the Seattle Splash Band week-end in a couple of weeks (week-end of the 16th). Wish some of you were attending. But, I am going to have a guest in about a month.............Bluehill is coming to Portland and we're going to the gym together!!!!!! As soon as we meet, I'll pass along all the gossip about her to you all! I'm really excited to finally get to meet one of you in person - a real face and body to hug.

... I feel in a way we are shutting out people on this thread that maybe don't wanna exercise but have improved their lives in other ways. I personally wasn't going to go back to gym but have and love it but if I hadn't I was going to at least try to move more........are we excluding these people, it is a very exercise orientated thread!...

Amourette,

My thoughts on this line up with everyone else's responses -- i.e. that this is an exercise challenge thread at core, not a general April thread, but that any April bandster (or other invitee) is welcome here, whether they're participating in the challenge or not. Maybe we can find a way to express that better for anyone else who would like to contribute.

Thinking back to the origin of this thread, as you know, there used to be just one April thread -- a general chat. Then, about 6 months in, some of us decided to start an exercise challenge thread to work up to meeting a specific goal (i.e. getting enough exercise in our lives, which we believe to be a vital component to long-term success -- we're still working on getting there by increasing the challenge slightly each month). The general April thread was still around for a few months, simultaneous with the exercise challenge thread. That's the way I, at least, hoped things stayed (i.e. a general thread and a challenge thread). That's not to say that I don't want to share challenges other than exercise on this thread -- I do! It's just that I didn't invision those not doing the challenge not having an April thread for support. Of course there are limitless places for support on this and other forums, so I don't worry too, too much. Everyone who looks can find a support home.

I think there are several options:

(1) Anyone who feels like they're not getting support on this thread should start a general April chat thread. I would participate because my chosen form of long-term support is about supporting April bandsters (though I do think the challenge thread is now my main "home.") I don't think everyone from the challenge thread would frequent a general thread, but I think many would.

(2) We could modify the intro thread to the challenge that clearly gives the option of any April bandster participating on their own challenge terms. I think it was Boo (or maybe Bluehill? Sorry guys!) who recommended an "elite" level for our exercise challenge to accommodate those with more intense exercise goals without alienating the core group. An open-ended challenge option would accommodate those wanting an "elite" challenge for the month OR those wanting to accomplish other lifestyle goals for the month. The point would be there's an option for you to set your own goal for the month (or to stick with the group challenge). There are not so many of us that we can't keep what everyone is doing straight. I actually like this option because most of us will do the prescribed challenge, but it gives everyone flexibility to whatever they commit to for the month.

(3) Lastly, we can leave things the same. My belief is that what we are doing on this thread is really important -- maybe just as important as being banded itself. My vote is that I don't want to change the core of that, not because I don't care about other April bandsters, but because I personally go to the gym many days just because of this thread. I wouldn't go if I wasn't checking in with you guys and I need that motivation. Plus, I believe if meeting a monthly challenge isn't someone's thing, there are other places for more general band support, on LBT and elsewhere.

Amourette, your post reads to me (though I read things between the lines all the time that aren't there) as if you know someone specific who has expressed to you that they feel left out. If so, would you ask them if option #2 would make them feel more welcome, or whether it's the fact that it's an exercise challenge, period, that makes them look elsewhere for support.

On another note, the scale moved today for the first time in 20 days. Woohoo!

Very well stated, Julie. There is a multitude of threads on the Lap Band Talk Forum that provide support on every conceivable weight-loss issue, but this thread is for bandsters who want to participate in an exercise challenge and are committed to the goal of daily exercise. Beyond that, it has been our very good fortune to find a terrific group of like-minded bandsters so that over the past several months we have created a strong, caring bond of friendship that encompasses so much more than just exercise.

This thread and this group have become the single most important motivating factor in my weight-loss journey, and certainly in my daily exercise regimen, and I don't want that to change one iota! All are welcome here -- and we are a very welcoming bunch -- but the exercise challenge is the fundamental core, and that's not going to change.

Julie, so great that your scale moved today! Just in time to give you that extra burst of energy for tomorrow's run!

I saw your new listing in April 2006 Bandsters - Running weight loss totals -- the only other April 2006 Bandsters thread currently active. That got me to thinking about Amourette's comments. Which for me means, How to connect with more April Bandsters? It occurs to me that we have an ideal opportunity to bring many more April Bandsters together as we undertake your idea for mentoring the 2007 April crew. Let's make a real effort to reach out to and include ALL April Bandsters in this. For instance, we could post our intentions in the Running Totals thread (noted above) and invite everyone to join us. Additionaly, the title for the new mentoring thread should be welcoming to all April Bandsters as an ongoing support group for us April people. Lots to work on here, but these are my thoughts...

...It occurs to me that we have an ideal opportunity to bring many more April Bandsters together as we undertake your idea for mentoring the 2007 April crew. Let's make a real effort to reach out to and include ALL April Bandsters in this. For instance, we could post our intentions in the Running Totals thread (noted above) and invite everyone to join us. Additionaly, the title for the new mentoring thread should be welcoming to all April Bandsters as an ongoing support group for us April people. Lots to work on here, but these are my thoughts...

I had the same thought Bluehill. I think that may be a great solution. Let's think about what the exact title of the thread should be so that when we start it in a couple of weeks, it'll attract the widest range possible. Maybe:

April Bandster Thread (where April Bandsters from 2006 AND 2007 come to chat)

I'd like something shorter but catchier if yall can think of anything....

I picked up my race number and souvenir t-shirt (I got a medium - thinking ahead, ha!) for tomorrow. Now I'm off to paint my kitchen and bath. Can't wait until Friday -- the big move. I'm ALMOST prepared for it (but my Mom's coming in on Thursday and will, as usual, save the day)....

April Bandster Thread (where April Bandsters from 2006 AND 2007 come to chat)

Maybe we could dump the year refs completely:

APRIL BANDSTERS COME TO CHAT or ALL APRIL BANDSTERS COME TO MEET

I just like "APRIL BANDSTERS"

If you want something "catchy", we can brainstorm!!

Julie,

How exciting pickin up your race number!!! I will really be thinking of you tomorrow.

I like the tag line... April Bandsters- share together

Have a great day all!!

DAwn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/202/179

Exercise to date this month = 3 sessions

Hello,

I definitely lile April Bandsters come together! (I read it somewhere:-)

I went to the gym today.But yesterday I went on a date.It went well we went to TGI Fridays and I wanted be good so I ordered salmon...I dont know why but the salmon was so dry!and yes of course it got stuck even though I was bitting properly...It was so bad that I thoiught that I will have to go to the hospital again.So within one hour I went to bathroom 3 times.My date was nervous and asked what happened that I had to go to the bathroom so many times.So I said I drank a litre of Water before I went out.I did PB and throw up but it didnt help so after two hours I excused myself and said that the salmon wasnt good and I feel sick.So I went home by tram I almost threw up at everybody...Lol..the guy was nice so we are meeting again on Sunday.I guess I wont be eating in restaurants for a while.I think its so funny,although it didnt feel like that yesterday:-)

Julie - Have a great run tomorrow. We'll be there with you!!!!!

Like the suggestions for inviting the April gang to join us - here and in a general chat thread!

Got in my NIA class today.

GO JULIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN YOUR HEART OUT!!!!!!!:waytogo: :confused: :grouphug:

Betty, I am so disappointed. I was scheduled to be in Seattle during that week, but had to postpone my trip! We will meet sometime! Between my trips north and your trips south, we will collide at some point.

I'm happy with ANY title as long as we can keep chatting! Would it be in the general discussion or in the support section?

Also, I like the idea of having a "lifestyle change" as an additional challenge/goal within our thread. There might be some April 2006 bandsters that are inspired by our progress, and would like to join, but aren't ready to exercise at the same level. We all started out slowly and have built stamina gradually. There is room here for beginners, too.

On our signatures we could just state "Exercise Challenge" or "Lifestyle Change". Would that be a viable alternative that we could be comfortable with?

My computer was down yesterday, so I'm just catching up! Exercised yesterday, and the scale finally moved! YEAH!!! Only two #'s but I'll take it. I've started out this month by falling down the stairs on my backside ( in the house), I tried to catch myself and in so doing I wrenched my neck and shoulder on the left, and hurt my little toe, which began to swell up!! I iced my back, neck and little toe immediately and took some Tylenol. This morning my neck and shoulder are giving my a lot of pain....sure wish I'd listened to you Betty! :-) Hope everyone has a great weekend!

EVA, so sorry you had that horrible experience on your date. I had a similar experience last month when my husband and I were eating out. I was so embarrassed. It's a good a sign if he wants to try it again. :-)

Just a quick post to let you all know I finished the race (4M) -- in 48 minutes -- way better than my goal of 60 min!

My stomach is a little queasy but I'll check back in in a few hours when I've warmed up and gotten settled.

Thanks a MILLION for all your support. I thought of each of you during the race.

Hugs,