Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits' February Challenge

Got to my class this morning.........Alan and I snuggled and talked a lot during the night. We're both a little settled down about this whole heart valve thing and he's going to call the cardiologist back on Monday, we'll go in again and probably ask to have the echo repeated and the heart angiogram done, talk to the surgeon and then make a decision about when he will have the surgery. I'm hoping he will have it soon and get it over with!

Julie, hope you had no problems with the move into the new home!

Where are you all?

Got my NIA class in this morning! We're waiting for a call back from the doctor. A bit stressed............but not horrific!

Julie, can't wait to hear how the move went.

How are you all feeling - those of you with owies?

Hi Betty! Haven't been around here much, but have been thinking of you and Alan, and wondering if you had scheduled th 2nd echo. Keep us posted. I continue to walk each night, but my knee throws in the towel at about 1 1/2 miles--so I try to do something, to make up my time, not sure if it should really count---but I am ok with it, I know I continue to try to move each day, and that was my goal. I realize it may knock me out of the challenge not to increase it, but at least I know I did something!!

I know exactly where you are right now, wanting to get it done, if it has to be done, get him fixed, because you want him well. I am glad your son has come through it, even with his complications, because he can provide an insiders look for your husband, plus the knowledge, that while not fun, this is not the end of the line. My Dad had been through 2 sets of bypass surgery (23 years apart) but he could talk to Rick, and prepare him, and help him see that even though he had the surgery, and was almost 30 years older than Rick, he was still going strong. It give Rick faith, that even though it may be tough for a few months, he would be ok in the long run. He really needed those thoughts, he got to being quite fatalisic on me for awhile, but that has thankfully passed.

I went and spent too much money on Valentines for the kids today---but bought them each a small stuffed toy, a little heart of chocolates and an outfit apiece. Clothes are just outreageous!!! Jeans for the 6 yr. old are as expensive as mine! Now you could make 3-4 pairs of hers out of one of mine, but they cost the same. And they are making the kids clothes, look way too adult for me---she does not need to look like a 21 year old out clubbing~aaarrrggghh!!

Well I need to go get some things done---ignoring them is not making them go away. Kinsey is with her Daddy today, I should have got a lot done, instead I went shopping!

See y'all later.

Kat

You are righty Kat..........we do know what to expect - a bit frightening on the one hand, but we know the pain ends and the results take you back to "normal"! We also are very experienced.........both my parents had bypass surgery - my father in the early, early days when the proceedure was new he had to have it done twice in 6 months (he closed up) and then again after 15 years - and my mother right around the time my dad had his 3rd surgery!.............they've come a long way baby since those early days and even since my son Craig had his first valve done - of course that was 18 years ago! My Dad about 30 or more years ago....my parents are both gone now.........but had many years added to their lives because of those surgeries.

Hope you're able to resume your normal routines soon..........don't stress over it though.............whatever you can do will keep you going and if you need to rest up to relieve whatever stress those legs have.........just do it!

Ladies, thank you for sharing your personal struggles. It is through our challenges that we relate to one another. My husband was diagnosed with valve problems a few years ago. Because he was younger, I didn't pay attention to it or believe it. I think I am still in denial that we will actually face this valve replacement surgery. His cardiologist says it is inevitable, but that we can afford to monitor his progress. What causes this problem? I can look it up online, but am not sure I want to face it. Your courage is helping me.

Bluehill, I am highly honored that my "words" could be of some comfort to you. You are the eloquent writer. I hope you are enjoying your trip and feeling better! Don't let the winter doldrums keep you away.

Roberta, how are your lungs? Do you have allergies in addition to the asthma? I had an acute asthma attack on Friday. It has been years since the last one. Luckily, I still carry an inhaler for emergencies. It is scary!

Julie, how are you? I am worried about you moving and hurting yourself from aggravating your injured areas. This is exciting, though! On the heels of your surprising career news, I have an incredible professional offer, also. It caught me completely unprepared!! Now I must weigh some of the same factors that I read in your post. Doesn't it feel good to have the extra boost of confidence to face these opportunities? My work is higly visible, and the drop in weight seems to bring much more interest in what I do. It amazes me how others respond. My thoughts, feelings, creativity, work ethic and intelligence level have not really changed, but because my appearance has changed, I receive respect and even excitement. Even though I would love to live a more free life, I have decided to take the offer. I'm excited to see where my professional life may lead!

Good night, ladies:notagree Sweet dreams!

Betty: I've been reading your posts and my heart goes out to your family and to Kat's. Your families have gone through so much, but it's good you can be a support to one another. Boo: Sorry to hear your DH has a valve problem also; hopefully with monitoring he will do well. Congratulations on your new job offer! You and Julie live exciting lives! Sorry to hear about your asthma attack...it is very scary. Smart girl to keep a inhaler on hand. I do have allergies also which can stir things up a bit. Betty, I am feeling better after my fall, but still have some pain in my back if I do too much. I am happy to report that I've dropped a few more pounds and am 2 pounds away from onederland!!!!! Didn't get to post my exercise from yesterday....45 mins workout.

Roberta

Boo - how exciting - tell us more about the new opportunity! As for the valve problem - wow, isn't it wild that at least 3 of us in this small group have family with problems! Alan's is caused by stenosis (old age) - the worsening anyway - he has had a problem (tho slight) for years. The newest with us is that he has a phone appt with his Dr. on Friday morning to discuss more with her...............he is now leaning to have the angiogram soon and then making a decision. The angiogram will confirm the problem and see if he has any arteries to also bypass while they are in the area (due to his age). My son had a murmer when he was a child and developed a horrible staff infection when he cut his foot while wind surfing in the bay in San Francisco (at 25) that caused endocarditis (an infection of the lining of the heart)...............and wrecked his valve...........then years later developed the anyorism (probably due to the first surgery - they are not sure) and had to have that repaired along with the new valve................yuk..................wouldn't wish it on anyone - it is not a fun surgery (we've had too much experience).

We're trying to keep on with normal every day life and did our walk this morning!

Roberta.............I can feel "onederland" for you! Keep up the great work. It is so much fun to leave those 2's behind!

HI Guys,

I posted on the weekend, but it doesn't seem to be there. I had a long, tough week in Inujvik (okay that is getting really North). There are no hotels there so we have to stay with people and the guy I stayed with thinks a french fry is a vegetable!!! Even the local store had NO produce... they had blizzards so the planes weren't coming in. I did get out for a run, but was advised against running outside the village, as there have been polar bears attacking people. So... nope Julie, I am still not in Onederland, but I am holding my own.

I have been reading about all the health concerns... I am so sorry for you all and know that I am thinking of you. It reminds us how important our health is. I hope you are all doing well, or at least as well as possible.

I hope you all have a great valentines day!!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/202/179

Exercise this month= 9 sessions

Dawn and Roberta.............you both weigh the same! You guys are going into onederland together!!!!!! We're all rooting!

Dawn I can't even imagine how you survive in that place..........polar bears - yikes! I'm on my way out the door going for a routine mammogram and it's cold (45 maybe) and raining............and I'm wanting to just curl up and read in front of the fireplace.............I guess we adapt - sure glad I don't have to.............too old at this point...............Dawn keep up that great work-out mentality........you are something!

Hi all!

Boo--In Rick's case, he was either born with the abnormality, or a case of rhuematic fever following a bout with strep throat caused a weakening that eventually led to the posterior leaflet of the mitral valve to fail. He had never had any issue with it at all. One Dr. picked up a murmur several years ago, but rated it <1. Which I myself have...I was born with the murmur. With that, my serious family history of heart problems, combined with my weight, I would have bet everything I own, that I would have been the one to land at the cardiologists....just goes to show you! He is doing great now...they can do amazing things. When they did his surgery, they actually reduced the size of his heart!!! It had enlarged due to the backwash of blood being so severe for so long (he had a blood clot), so they had to cut it back to normal size, I never knew they could do that!!! They did, and I tease him, that now he loves me less!!! He used to tell me he loved me with all his heart--that's how he signs cards etc., so now that they reduced the size I tease him, he loves me less!!

Dawn---you need to be careful, a popsicle for a Polar Bear, would not be a good thing!!!

I too managed to make it to Curves, my knee made it a full round, and then I kinda skipped around machines the next round---some were just too much for it. Then I went to lunch with a friend, had a nice salad, and a great visit. My DIL brought the tiny terror over to see me this morning---I do love that little guy, but OMG, he is so into everything!!! I ran a home based day care for several years, so had infants, and I raised my own, and have 3 grandbabies before him, and ALL of those kids combined, created less mess than this one little guy! I kind of had a talk with her about it...hope I wasn't TOO much the MIL!!! Oh well, it needed to be said. He knows no better, and it is their job to teach him.

Ok I'm babbling---better go start some dinner!!!

Hugs to all!!!

Hang in there Boo---it is scary as hell---but aren't we glad they had this now that there is technology available to fix it!!

Kat

Kat - You are there also............so close to "onederland"...........the 3 of you at the same weight!

Kat, I felt just like you did............with both parents having had by-pass (heart) surgery I was sure it would be me..............still might be, but that Alan will have it just blows me away...............he's always been thin and so healthy...........just can't believe it!

Hi all just checking in from LA, just got in today, will do workout tomorrow, only here one night, thinking of you all

Love AmouretteXXX

Hello all,

how are you doing? Im still working out with my trainer and I must say that it really works, Im not losing that much weight but the inches or centimeters are leaving my body:-) plus Im not saggy anymore:-)

Guysis you are going to be near your goal soon!!! Thats great I wish I could do that fast as well:-) Congratulations!!!

Well, I'm moved. It was a mess, but it's DONE! I'll post a couple of pictures once I get things straightened out a bit more. My Mom came up from Atlanta to help and I couldn't have done it without her. She went home yesterday -- a couple of days early because of the snow we were expecting (and got) in NYC last night. It's supposed to last for a while and I hope it doesn't get in the way of my flight to St. Barts on Saturday, where I'm going for a week's vacation with my family. Can't wait!

I met with my band surgeon yesterday. I asked him about PS for me and he was completely on board, even though I'm not "at goal." It kind of seemed like he even preferred for me to go ahead now rather than in 40+ more lbs. He said I'll just feel so much better without the weight of my stomach. His advice was have it done now and not even wait until April! I'm sticking with my timing, but that did make me feel a lot better, in that I don't think I'm stretching as much as I thought to fit in PS and starting my new job in May.

Speaking of, yes, I took the new job. It's going to be a lot of work, but it's such an incredible move for my career (and my pocketbook). Boo, I'm so excited to hear that you're making a career move (up the ladder) too! That's awesome and I hope you'll share more about it, if you can find a way to and maintain your confidentiality (I totally get that).

Speaking of work, I guess I'd better get to it.