Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How This Will Affect You In Old Age?

I just recently went to the informational meeting, thinking about having the surgery. The dr said no Soups, stuff like that? How will this help when we are old and can't fit a lot of stuff down other than soups/sauces? Will it cause us to become dehydrated and starved since it would pass through quicker? I want to be 100% sure this would be a good thing for me as I am 22 and have a lot of life left to live.

Excellent question but as time passes your pouch stretch I been reading a lot on other members here they gain weight after a year or 2 years some more time so I believe by the time we are 60 we won't have any issues. We go back stages like after surgery Soups salad liquid. I honestly haven't seen a really old person eating fast food. I seen them in diners eating mash potatoes soft food cafe stuff like that.

That many years after surgery the pouch has stretched to accommodate several ounces at one time. Elderly people will be able to eat anything they want and will be able to fit in as many fluids as possible. Mami has a wonderful point. Many of us might not have had the chance to become elderly if we have not had the surgery since our diets were not healthy and some had high blood pressure and diabetes.

If you think about it, many nursing homes give boost or Protein Drinks to their elderly and we will already be in that habit. As you age, your thirst mechanism goes away but hopefully we will still be in the habit of sipping Water all day.

A challenge I foresee will be compliance with Vitamins as they can get a little pricey and many seniors are on a fixed budget and/or forget to take their meds sometimes.

That many years after surgery the pouch has stretched to accommodate several ounces at one time. Elderly people will be able to eat anything they want and will be able to fit in as many fluids as possible. Mami has a wonderful point. Many of us might not have had the chance to become elderly if we have not had the surgery since our diets were not healthy and some had high blood pressure and diabetes.

If you think about it' date=' many nursing homes give boost or Protein drinks to their elderly and we will already be in that habit. As you age, your thirst mechanism goes away but hopefully we will still be in the habit of sipping Water all day.

A challenge I foresee will be compliance with Vitamins as they can get a little pricey and many seniors are on a fixed budget and/or forget to take their meds sometimes.[/quote']

That's right many seniors have a fix budget and most have supplement liquid to give them the nutrition they need.

I just recently went to the informational meeting, thinking about having the surgery. The dr said no Soups, stuff like that? How will this help when we are old and can't fit a lot of stuff down other than soups/sauces? Will it cause us to become dehydrated and starved since it would pass through quicker? I want to be 100% sure this would be a good thing for me as I am 22 and have a lot of life left to live.

I'm not so sure there is a "one size fits all" answer to your question. I'm 37 weeks out, have experienced very little in the way of dumping, and can eat pretty much anything I want to eat. My mom never had RNY but she's 89, weights 110 lbs, eats like a horse, and enjoys at least one T-bone steak a week. The surgery reduces the "amout" of food you can eat but there are not many long term restrictions on "what" you can eat. Some seniors have restrictions on their diet for a multitude of reasons, medical and otherwise, but RNY would have relatively little to do with it (in the absence of some kind of surgery related complications which are rare).

Ok good lol. I was getting scared that eventually this would be something I would regret as I got older. From what I've seen though almost everyone says they would do it again in a heartbeat. Is everyone that gets the bypass on Vitamins the rest of their lives or just some of the patients that are deficient in some of the essentials? Worried about malnutrition and how it would effect my bone mass later in life and how much you spend on vitamins monthly?

I'm definitely one of the "would do it again in a heartbeat" folks! Although there may be exceptions, I think it is wise to plan to be on Vitamins for life. Exactly what vitamins and supplements will vary by individual and obviously depends in part on your diet. Malnutrition is definitely a consideration along with osteoperosis. Blood tests are usually conducted at 3 mos, 6 mos, 9 mos, and one year following surgery. After that, they are conducted every six months or annually depending on your doctor. Those tests are conducted specifically to monitor nutrient levels (among other things). B-12, Vitamin D, Calcium and Protein are especially important. I'm not sure anyone can put a generalized age limit on when or even if increased supplements might be required. So much depends on the individual, overall health, diet and a dozen other factors. And the same reasoning would apply to cost as well.

My Grandma is 77 she had this surgery 20yrs ago and a revision 10 years ago. She's very active works as a chef in a nursing home. Volunteer for meals on wheels and of course she plays bridge and shuffle board every week. She cusses like a sailor too LOL. No health issues at all. Eats what she wants just smaller portions. She has no regrets

Thanks bellepink! I havent heard people talk bout their surgeries except if they've had it in recent years. It's insightful to hear other people's stories!

I just recently went to the informational meeting' date=' thinking about having the surgery. The dr said no Soups, stuff like that? How will this help when we are old and can't fit a lot of stuff down other than soups/sauces? Will it cause us to become dehydrated and starved since it would pass through quicker? I want to be 100% sure this would be a good thing for me as I am 22 and have a lot of life left to live.[/quote']

No Soups? ??!!!!

Revision to put her removed stomach back together?

Her pouches stretched so they made it smaller again. She never got "skinny" she's 5'10 and she's 160 looks great. She was 360 before surgery 215 before revision.

Most drs encourage Soups after surgery