Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today was my psych evaluation, I went in, waited for 45 minutes before she even called me in. Then, She had me take a 165 question true false test, which took about 30 minutes. And I waited again, this time for another 40 minutes, Then we went and had our little interview, She asked me about any sort of past trauma I may have had, any sort of huge change, any sort of issues whatever. Then she asked about what I expect after the surgery, where I expect to be after a year. Then she pulled out the stupid test results and told me that the test says that I'm suffering from severe anxiety and depression and that she can not ethically allow me to proceed with the surgery at this time. So she says that I have to go through six months of therapy, and she will re-evaluate me again.

So, I have to wait six months anyway. Needless to say I'm very disappointing, but now I get to drink for my 21st birthday, yippee. (sarcasm)

I'm so disappointed for you too. I don't get it! Well at least it not a no forever and since you have to do the six month thing anyways all should be fine. I'm nervous about my psych appt too. Hope they pass me!

My psych practically looked at a the answers for the true false questions, and compared them to 700 other people's answers and said that I was crazy, based on true false questions. Because that's how you get diagnosed with anything now, those pesky true false questions. Because saying yes to "my weight make me unhappy" Is wrong. I think it is a skewed system. Maybe it will be different for you, best of luck.

My psych eval is Wednesday....I certainly will be disappointed if that happens. Whats weird though is I had two friends who had surgery....one passed the eval, one failed. Both were approved for surgery. I understand the concept behind the testing and think its a good idea, but its kinda counterproductive at times.

Well you get a break & can eat with out over doing it & 6 months will go by quickly.

I'd get someone else. I never had to fill out no question sheet. My therapist sat me down and asked about my expectations, about my depression, about my life, etc. she asked all the questions that my surgeon wanted to know.

Your completely in your right to get a second opinion. I had a true false questionnaire that seemed to repeat itself. I appreciate the need for a psych eval, if someone isn ready for this procedure your setting them up for failure. I would get yourself a second opinion and follow the advise. It's not for ever just a work on your mental health and then it's your bodies turn

I'd get someone else. I never had to fill out no question sheet. My therapist sat me down and asked about my expectations' date=' about my depression, about my life, etc. she asked all the questions that my surgeon wanted to know.[/quote']

Same here ! Lol

I agree with all the others! Maybe in the meantime talk to your family doctor about an antidepressant or go to a support group... It will only make you more squared away and show that you seriously want to do well when you go back or go to a new doctor. Good luck!

My eval was probably 40 minutes or so of talking about my life, also about my depression and because i had been seeing a therapist on my own for awhile he told me he had to get my med file from my therapist before he could ok it. He gave me a release form and told me to take it to my dr so he could get the files faster and he approved me it took about a week. Idk if I could have gotten a second opinion if he hadn't though because I had to use a psychiatrist my surgeon picked.. Also I take an anti depressant and they just changed it to a capsule that I can open and sprinkle in a bite of something and take after surgery.

I am definitely getting a second opinion, I have been in counseling since my sophomore year of high school, it was my regular councilor who recommended the surgery in the first place.

Can your regular counselor do the eval?

My surgeon said that they had to specialize in weight loss

None of the dr.s on the list I was given "specialize" in weightloss. I was told they just have to provide specific testing. Goes to show the different requirements different Dr's have